A Rather Odd Shovel [Judge: Bront]

Rae ArdGaoth

Explorer
"Ah, but of course, my tutor is an Academy graduate! A gnome like myself, he's now in the employ of my dad, working with illusion magic to increase the attractiveness of his gems. You should see the works of art they create together!

"Not all the Academians are so pleasant, though. When I first enrolled, there was this boy who was already dabbling in necromancy. He..."
Fimble chatters along with Tommy as he guides the gang through the streets.

In short order, you find yourselves at a waterside restaurant, some distance from the unsightly docks. The view of the falls is spectacular. "And that's why I will never touch necromancy as long as I live. It's been so long, I wonder if it ever grew back? Ah, here we are!"

The restaurant is small in a cozy way, and very relaxing after the long weeks on the ship. Fallonese Flipfish, it turns out, is a slew of exceptionally fibrous, uniquely flavored fish, a result of the overpowering magics involved in maintaining the geysers. The fish earned their name from the way they tend to flip from geyser to geyser, not infrequently landing on the deck of a ship.

"My parents' house isn't, ah... large enough for all of us. Are you all tired? Inns on the top levels aren't cheap. We can meet with my dad tonight or tomorrow, whichever you prefer."

Solange

First Post
[sblock=OOC]Ugly week :(

Rapture wouldn't mind keeping the ship, and it might be a good plot device/tool/base for us. Money doesn't concern her too much. While as a player, money is nice for some good gear, we're not quite at the point where magic items are required.

I'll catch up IC a bit later if I can.[/sblock]

Trouvere

Explorer
"No matter, Fimble, we can always sleep on the... I don't care what she's registered as, she'll always be the Golden Warbray to me," Keldar answers. "Your father has been waiting to see our shovel for a long time, so we can go at once, if you like. What's his name again?"

Boddynock

First Post
Tarag joins the general exodus, muttering to himself, "Fimbus ... not Fimble ... Fimbus. Fimbus."

He moves forward and engages the gnome in conversation.

"Thank you, Fimbus, for introducing us to flipfish. The texture takes a bit of getting used to but the flavour is very distinctive. How do they catch them? Do they simply hang out nets, or is there some clever gnomish mechanism for ensuring a catch?"

"I'm interested to know if your physicians have identified any side effects to the long-term consumption of such magically-influenced creatures, too. And are there any appreciable effects on inanimate objects? I've got an idea for a spell-reflective armour that could prove helpful, if only I can perfect it!"

With this and other comments the usually quiet dwarf animatedly passes the time until they reach Fimbus' home. It must be a result of the elven wine, rather than the dwarven ale Tarag normally drinks.

Trouvere

Explorer
"I'm interested to know if your physicians have identified any side effects to the long-term consumption of such magically-influenced creatures, too. And are there any appreciable effects on inanimate objects? I've got an idea for a spell-reflective armour that could prove helpful, if only I can perfect it!"
"Tell us when you start rubbing your armour with flipfish so we can be somewhere else," says Keldar. "As for inanimate objects, Galwynn has been even more taciturn than usual. But my word, I'm glad I didn't have a second helping. There could be unforeseen effects on those of us with the blood of dragons swirling in our veins."

covaithe

Explorer
"I can't think that consuming magical fish -- or rubbing them on yourself -- would have any lasting effects," Tommy remarks thoughtfully. "There was a student at the Academy who tried to do that with sardines once. He would cast lots of spells on them before eating them, hoping that they would give him permanent magical powers. All he ever got was bad breath and a case of gout. I think the problem is that it's the life matrix of the fish that holds the magic, you see, and once the fish is dead, it would dissipate harmlessly into the background magic of the land. Unless you were to eat the fish alive, that is. I wonder if old Helgis ever tried that? Heh. Maybe I should write to him."

Tommy pauses for a moment, with a speculative look. "Though come to think of it, if the flipfish are altered by their contact with the geysers... um, Fimble, where does Fallon's supply of drinking water come from?"

Boddynock

First Post
"Come now, lad, it's clear that you're not listening - because what Tommy says makes perfect sense. The life matrix, eh? And in steel that would be ... the source of the song."

Remove ads