A Rather Odd Shovel [Judge: Bront]

Rae ArdGaoth

Explorer
There's a long wait before anything happens. You stand in awkward silence for minutes in the gloomy cavern before the door finally opens.

A slender man with long, blond hair, pulled back and held with a ribbon, has answered the door. He wears dark clothes, fit for a noble. Behind him is a sizable antechamber, which leads to a dimly lit parlor and a winding staircase.

In his refined voice, he greets you all with some confusion. "I'm sorry, I was in the kitchen when you announced yourselves. To whom do I owe this pleasure today?"

Trouvere

Explorer
"Good evening, sir," says Keldar, with a touch of obsequiousness. "Our apologies for disturbing you so late in the day. We just wished to assure you on behalf of the AIS that, despite anything you might have heard, there is absolutely no truth to the rumours."

Rae ArdGaoth

Explorer
The man stares blankly at Keldar. He glances at the others, apparently hoping for a clue. Then he clears his throat and says, "Er. What rumors?"

Trouvere

Explorer
Keldar begins stammering. "Er, you've not - well, then, we really shouldn't - oh dear," he says unhappily. He looks back along the corridor to make sure no one else is around. He lowers his voice. "We certainly didn't intend to worry you, sir. The cliff wall of course has been stable for centuries, ever since the Catastrophe. It would be practically impossible for cracks to begin spreading now. To the best of our knowledge. Our gnome and dwarf stonemasters and our wizards all agree. Sorry to have troubled you."

Rae ArdGaoth

Explorer
He blinks twice, and then, "Ah. Were there concerns about the structural integrity of the caverns? I hadn't heard. Well, thank you for the reassurances. Good day." With a nod, he goes to close the door.

Trouvere

Explorer
"If I could just ask you, sir, not to mention this to your neighbours for now? We'll approach them if the dangers increase. Did I say dangers? I meant rumours. Oh dear."

Keldar turns to his companions. "I'm afraid I've made a terrible mess of this. You really shouldn't let me talk. Or even let me out of the office. We should... we should probably inspect his apartment, just to be certain, no?"

covaithe

Explorer
Tommy's face is nearly as confused as the occupant's, but he rallies gamely. "What my colleague is trying to say, sir, is that we would like to would like to look around inside your home, if we may. Particularly at the structural members: walls, floors, load-bearing internal walls, foundation; things like that. It's very likely that there's nothing wrong at all, but it's best to be sure, isn't it?"

Rae ArdGaoth

Explorer
The man narrows his eyes. At first, he looks at you with great suspicion. Then he thinks some more and apparently decides that he believes you. "This house has been here for generations. I wouldn't be surprised if there was structural damage. Do you really think it might be serious?" He steps aside to let you in.

[sblock=OOG: ]You guys rolled phenomenally well on your bluff checks, and he... well, he didn't.[/sblock]

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Recent & Upcoming Releases