A Rather Odd Shovel [Judge: Bront]

Trouvere

Explorer
"Serious? No, nonono, no, no," says Keldar. "Let's not count our columns until they're cracked. I'm sure everything is fine, Mister, er...." He quickly pulls his newly acquired scroll out, unfurls it, and looks for the name that has momentarily escaped his mind. "Urton."

covaithe

Explorer
"Thank you for your help, sir. Now, perhaps we could start with the cellar or basement?" Tommy smiles.

ooc: kn(architecture) +5 to check places where there's likely to be a tunnel. This is assuming that the decoded book didn't tell us exactly where to look. If it did, or gave clues, Tommy will of course follow them.

Rae ArdGaoth

Explorer
The man sighs regally and shakes his head at Keldar's mention of Urton. "The city records really are quite terrible. I bought this house long after its previous owner abandoned it. Turket is the new name on the deed, please update your records."

"Yes, yes, the cellar is down these stairs." He leads you through the parlor to the kitchen and down some stairs into the small basement, where a few kegs are kept on stands alongside several old wooden crates. Turket stands at the top of the stairs and allows you to enter. "Please, tell me if you find anything."

The book did indeed tell exactly where the passage was and how to open it: A particular loose stone in the cellar wall must be turned ninety degrees, and lever beneath the cellar floor must then be flipped. Then a large stone in the cellar wall will unlock, and can then be slid on a track backwards into the tunnel.

Here in the cellar, things are precisely as the book described. It should be very easy to find the passage, should you wish to do so.

Trouvere

Explorer
Keldar follows Tommy to the area. From the roll of tools in his backpack, he draws a tiny hammer, whose proposed use in tooth maintenance is not entirely clear. While tapping his way around the walls, he calls back up the stairs to Vlad Turket.

"Again, I apologize, sir." Keldar consults his scroll. "You are completely correct. On this occasion, I was merely reading the wrong column. But there certainly are several aspects of local city governance which could stand some improvement. Maritime property rights, for instance. If you have any clout in the city, as I'm sure a gentleman of your refinement must, you might consider a strongly worded letter or several on the subject."

"Oh dear!" he exclaims suddenly. "Do- do you think that sounded a trifle hollow?" He gives Tommy the shadow of a wink.

When the trick stones are located, Keldar searches for marks that might indicate whether the secret door has been used recently.

Rae ArdGaoth

Explorer
Turket's face is impassive as Keldar discusses city politics. Then, when Keldar "notices something hollow", his eyes narrow.

Coldly, he says "Government is hiring rather zealous workers these days, I see. Too zealous for your own safety, I'm afraid. Perhaps I will write to my local representative, about the tragic loss of four excellent inspectors." He slips out of the room, closing the heavy cellar door behind him.

You are left in total darkness.

covaithe

Explorer
"Maybe we should have had someone stay behind him," Tommy's disembodied voice observes. "Anyone have a light? I seem to have prepared other spells today."

Trouvere

Explorer
"But then we wouldn't know! Now we do. Don't you worry, Keldar has it all in hand. I always have a light spell prepared."

There are fumbling noises as Keldar pulls a lantern and a flask of oil from his pack and begins rummaging for his flint and steel.

"So," he says, "Turkey might be expecting us to starve to death in here, but unless he's willing to put up with the shouting and pleading and muffled groans, he probably has something quicker planned for us. Would you rather leave by the secret passage, or try to get the cellar door opened? There aren't many locks that can defeat Keldar, although a simple bolt on the far side might prove... trickier. To be honest, I completely failed to notice the door as we came down."

covaithe

Explorer
"It's a shame, really. Turket seemed like a rather nice fellow," Tommy says sadly. Once the lantern is lit, he has a good look around the cellar. "Can you see which way the door opens? I think you're right that Turket will be coming back with friends. If we bar or wedge the door shut from this side, we can just ignore them... But I suppose if we did that they'd just circle around and ambush us somewhere else in the tunnels. Best face them now when we can prepare."

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Recent & Upcoming Releases