A Rather Odd Shovel [Judge: Bront]

Trouvere

Explorer
"Damn!" Keldar exclaims. He gives Jamella's rapier a baleful glare. "You're really not helping your case, you know," he tells it.

Boddynock

First Post
Taking advantage of the current lack of activity on the part of their captor, Tarag calls on Chennet's healing again.

"Come on, Forge God - light a fire under him!"

OOC: CLW (swapping out Bane) on the mysterious man: (1d8+4=12)

IC: "Ah, now see: that's a god!"

[sblock=Today’s Spells]Spells per day: 5/4+1/3+1

Orisons:
Create Water
Detect Magic
Guidance
Light
Resistance (swapped out for CMinW)

Level 1:
Bane (swapped out for CLW)
Bless
Burning hands (Fire domain)
Divine Favor
Shield of Faith

Level 2:
Bull’s Strength
Produce Flame (Fire domain)
Restoration, Lesser
Spiritual Weapon

Domains: Artifice, Fire[/sblock]

Last edited:

Boddynock

First Post
"Ah now, calm down. Keep calm. I've healed you and we're not going to hurt you again."

"I know it's frightening. Just tell me who you are and what you're doing here. I'm Tarag. I'm a smith. What's your name? What do you do?"

Tarag keeps speaking in a low, soothing tone. When he judges that the man has calmed down a little, he'll remove the gag.

OOC: Rae, you didn't metioned if his hands were tied. If so, Tarag will untie them when it seems safe to do so.

After having such a bad time with IC, I think it's trying to make up for it: two max rolls in a row! :D Diplomacy check re screaming man: (1d20+1=21)

Orisons:
Create Water
Detect Magic
Guidance
Light

Level 1:
Bless
Divine Favor
Shield of Faith

Level 2:
Bull’s Strength
Restoration, Lesser
Spiritual Weapon

Last edited:

Rae ArdGaoth

Explorer
The gagged man struggles for a bit, but soon calms down with Tarag's soothing tone. Finally the gag is removed and he starts to answer questions. He has the unrefined accent of a street thug.

"I'm a thief, see. Nah, I was a thief, until yesterday. Now I'm a dead thief, 'cause of my cursed, sour fingers. Cut 'em off, they did. Me livelihood, all me life I trained, an' they cut 'em right off." The man's hands are not bound, and they probably don't need to be, since he has no fingers past the first knuckle on either hand. The amputations have been freshly cauterized, probably not more than a few hours ago.

"Might as well talk t' ye, seein' as they sent me t' die anyhow. 'Twas a high class job, nickin' an orb o' some sort from the wizard's college. These guys, they're the best, an' they been watchin' me, an' this was me chance to join the best. So I leaped. These guys, they ain't muckin' around, they know this city. An' I botched the job." A look of fear fills his eyes.

"Lost one o' their own to the wizard traps. Rest of us, we got out, but soon as we got underground, they... they..." He shudders, and tears come to his eyes. "They took me fingers, an' they said I'd make a good example, show folks not to muck with 'em, but then... somethin' happened. They strapped me into this, dropped a potion down me throat, an' I saw naught but red while I stumbled down a hall, through a hole in a wall, an' then got slammed and speared..." He looks down at his hands for the first time. "Gods below, they took me hands!" He is reduced to sobs.

You hear another attempt at the cellar door. This time, though, the failed attempt is followed by a voice. "Hey! City guard! Open this door immediately, and we will not use lethal force to detain you!"

covaithe

Explorer
[sblock=ooc planning]Hmm, a dilemma.

If they're not really the guards, then we might as well fight them here as elsewhere; they'll just cut us off in the tunnels later.

If they are really the guards, then we could go two ways with this. We could play it straight, open the door (or, if it's disabled permanently, cry for help claiming that Turket trapped us here and locked the door), and then it becomes our word against his. We are actually on official business, and we were given permission to investigate this Urton thing by the guard, so if we have time to talk we can probably worm our way out of this.

Or we could just be silent, go out through the secret door, and close it behind us. Let Turket explain why he called the guard for an empty basement. Or why he has secret tunnels from his basement leading to all sorts of interesting places.

I lean toward the latter myself, if only for the amusement value. Besides, we're a bit lacking on social skills now, without our paladins, and I fear the dice might turn against us. I think our odds of proceeding are better if we explore the tunnels and make friends with our fingerless thief. He probably knows some useful things.
[/sblock]

Trouvere

Explorer
Keldar listens in silence, with only the clenching muscles of his jaw betraying his disgust at the mutilation. He shakes himself into action at the sound from the cellar door.

"If they're guardsmen, I'm a paladin," he says. He shouts back at them, pitching his voice high and panicked: "I don't think so! You're Mister Turket's hired killers! He said he'd tell my supervisor we died down here! In the dark!"

"There now. And on the off chance that I am a paladin, well, then that might have raised some awkward questions for Turkey."

Keldar bends down to the maimed thief. "Listen up," he says. "You've had a rough time, but there's those have had worse done to 'em. What you want to to do now, see, is get yourself a good spiked shield and one of them gauntlets with chains, and you can fight nearly as well as ever. Give up thieving; it's... it's no good for anyone. Find yourself a few adventurers. Stick close to them, do some heroic deeds, get yourself some gold. In a couple of years, you'll be rich enough to pay a priest to pray for new fingers. Good as new. I swear it. What's a couple of years? But first, we have to get out of here, hey? What say you help? Think you can manage the lantern over the crook of your elbow?"

"I think we should be going," he says, looking to the others. "Tommy, can you follow the mapbook, find the way to a secret door into a respectable temple, or, better, the path to the top of the cliff outside the city? Tarag, will you take the lead? We need to go fast enough that I've no time to check for traps they might have set along the way. Shield up and trust to luck! Fimble, just ahead of me, sharp eyes looking back? I'll bring up the very rear, with my bow to... discourage pursuit. Any better ideas?"[sblock=OOC]Obviously, I concur.[/sblock]

Boddynock

First Post
Tarag scowls ferociously as the man holds up his maimed hands. He listens in silence to his story, and nods at Keldar's words.

He claps the man on the shoulder - gently - and says, "Come on. We've got a trip to take and some justice to deliver. This just got personal!"

With that he turns and moves into the tunnel, reappearing a moment later dragging the crate that Tommy's servant had pushed in.

"Let's go!"

Orisons:
Create Water
Detect Magic
Guidance
Light

Level 1:
Bless
Divine Favor
Shield of Faith

Level 2:
Bull’s Strength
Restoration, Lesser
Spiritual Weapon

Last edited:

Rae ArdGaoth

Explorer
There's some hushed discussion on the other side of the thick cellar door at Keldar's shouts, but you can't make it out.

The man wipes the wetness away from his red eyes angrily. His face grim, he nods and takes the lantern. You slip into the passage way, and the maimed thief turns around and offers, "Most of their passages can be locked from the inside. If we lock this one, it'll be tough to budge the block even if they know it's there."

OOC: Will you lock the block behind you, or just proceed?

Passages to temples are closer but bring you towards the center of the city. One passage will indeed lead you to the surface, but it is rather roundabout and looks to take several hours of hard walking and climbing.

Where do you go?

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Upcoming Releases