A Rather Odd Shovel [Judge: Bront]

Trouvere

Explorer
"But of course! There's not the trap built that can trouble Keldar! I should just check that it is another pit, though."

Keldar nips behind Tarag and plucks his cleric's vestments from the haversack. "Invisible servant of Keldar! Hearken to my words! Go flap this chasuble around a little way ahead!"

While the unseen servant does this, or not, Keldar inches forward and begins searching the corridor with the utmost care.

"You other servants of Keldar can make yourselves useful by pulling some wood off the wall, if you like," he says.

Rae ArdGaoth

Explorer
OOC: I've been waiting for a search check, a disarm check, and reactions from the others about Keldar's suggestions to rip apart the hallway. Were you waiting on me?

I don't have dice (it's a pain to post on my phone) but I want to move things along, so...

Keldar, remembering the last trap setup, knows exactly where to look for this second pit trap. With some teamwork, planks come off of walls and are laid over the trap. With some ingenuity, you cross it with ease.

(Do you leave the planks?)

Eventually you come to another series of two pullcords, presumably with a trap between them.

(Presumably you handle it in a similar fashion.)

It's not long until you find yet another. These "indicator traps" are growing more frequent this side of the Hub, as you get farther from Turket's house. Pulling the planks off the walls is slowing you down significantly.

Boddynock

First Post
OOC: Actually, I was just maintaining a sullen silence in response to the wisecrack about "Keldar's other servants". :lol:

"Well, that worked. Come on, let's take these planks with us. So far we haven't seen any spaces we couldn't get through carrying an 11 foot pole!"

Trouvere

Explorer
"Those are just a myth. Wood cutters guild regulations, I suppose," Keldar comments. "Well, here's another one."[sblock=OOC]
OOC: I've been waiting for a search check, a disarm check, and reactions from the others about Keldar's suggestions to rip apart the hallway. Were you waiting on me?
Keldar takes 20 on any Search check when there isn't some other immediate problem to deal with (since he needs a roll of 14 or more to find most traps... more Search ranks and Goggles of Minute Seeing are in his future, I hope). I tend not to make Disable Device rolls myself, but pit traps at least can be bypassed in various ways without them.

We'd definitely take the first set of planks with us for reuse. The unseen servant could probably carry one of them instead of the quarterstaff and vestments.[/sblock]

Rae ArdGaoth

Explorer
Carrying your makeshift pit-trap-bridges, the Taragateers race through the tunnels at a good clip. Tommy and Fimble, reading from the book, point out interesting things as you pass by:

"There's a passage beneath our feet, it seems, and a trapdoor leading to it, right there. Let me see that book a moment... yes, this one leads down to the floor, winding around beneath the wizards' towers."

With Tommy's directions, you finally reach a long, dirt tunnel that spits you out on the surface, a good mile from the edge of the great chasm that is Fallon. Looking around you, you see dozens of rocky outcroppings, extremely similar to the one from which you've just emerged. If you hope to find this place again, you'd best mark it well.

Fimble gazes at a ship sailing over the edge of the Kithsul onto a water column, enjoying the display of incredible magic. "Gorgeous from this angle, isn't it? Simply stunning." He turns to you all. "And those... those scumbags are sneaking around, right under our noses. Thieving, maiming brutes, leeching off of my beautiful home." He looks at Fingers' lack of fingers, then he looks back at the city. "We have to stop them."

You've spent hours wandering the tunnels. Fingers looks apprehensively towards the well disguised tunnel entrance behind you.

OOC: Can anybody tell me what time you went to Turket's house? You were turning in for the night, but then to move things along we jumped to Turket's front door, and I don't know if we established whether you went to bed first or not.

Whatever time you went in, it's now 9 hours later.

Boddynock

First Post
OOC: Taragateers! :lol:

Actually, what about Tommy's Travelling Troupe? ;)

And what about an arcane mark to mark the exit? (Although I suppose chances are high that Tommy doesn't have that one memorized.)

In which case, Tarag will retrieve his artisan's tools from the Haversack and sculpt (1d20+6=13) a dwarven face on the third rocky outcrop closer to the Falls. (Forgot to add the +2 Int bonus, so the result is actually 15.)

IC: Tarag steps back to view his handiwork. "Hmm. Not pretty! That's what I get for doing it in a hurry. You can see why I work in metal rather than stone!"

Last edited:

Trouvere

Explorer
At the mouth of the tunnel, Keldar pauses for a moment to write a message in the dirt floor with the point of a dagger, for anyone who should happen to follow them this far: a simple "Ha ha! - KW"

Outside in the open air at last, he breathes deep, stretches and yawns. "Look at the sky, it can't be far off dawn. Whose idea was it to see all the sights on our first day in town?"

He watches the ship sinking into the canyon. "They're always coming and going." He gives Fimble's shoulders a pat. "Never mind. Rescuing an entire city doesn't sound too hard." He looks out over the broad shadowy lake, but the ship bearing Galwynn and Rapture must be thirty miles or more away by now and far beyond sight even if it were daylight. The view loses its appeal, so he goes to see what Tarag is up to.

"Ah hah. Another good idea, Tarag. If we do come back this way, we look for the Rock of the... sea urchin? Pine cone? What is that thing? A gargoyle? Unmistakable, anyway."

"Well... we should put some distance between us and the tunnel mouth. Pity we can't trap it ourselves, or block it off to slow any pursuers. We need to find a place to hole up for a rest. Ready, Fing- Shields?"

Trouvere

Explorer
[sblock=OOC]Which side of the city have we come out on? Are we looking at the Kithsul from across the chasm or from a nearer side? Are we on the western or eastern side of the Kithsul and Roars? I doubt whether Keldar knows anything of the local geography, but he at least knows Orussus lies to the west.[/sblock]"Look lively. Which way? At least we'll leave less of a trail over this rocky ground. Anyone know where the nearest villages are? Follow the water, one way or another, I suppose. I hope we don't have to go far. I'm - that is to say, Tommy looks tired and hungry."

Keldar absentmindedly fumbles in his pouch for the first time in hours. "Ooo! Some tiny strawberry tarts! Wizards! We're never without something to eat." He tosses them in his mouth. "Bit stale, though."

Remove ads