A Rather Odd Shovel [Judge: Bront]

Trouvere

Explorer
"Ship?" says Keldar. "Of course! Why didn't I think of it? You're afraid of heights! You'd only have to keep your eyes closed and trust Tommy, you know."

"If you're too scared, I suppose we could try a ship. We'd have to walk around the city in one direction or another, then along the east bank of the river a way, and hope we could wave a ship to shore while they were busy with the preparations for their descent. Then whoever organises the geysers would notice the delay, and wonder just why they hove to, and ask if they took on unexpected passengers, and ask to see us, and ask our names and business, and we'd have to lie, a little, or else there'd be a fuss as I was recognised as the capturer of the Onaeron and Jamella's crew - word of that will have got around, you know! - and maybe they'll recognise me anyway, and perhaps even that fat fellow will be there, if he's dared to show his face at the docks again, and there'd be no end of trouble."

"I can't really suppose any of that is my fault, though."

covaithe

Explorer
Tommy looks a little disappointed, but backs Tarag up. "I suppose a ship would be more practical. We can come back here after we've dealt with the shovel-wielders and jump then."

Trouvere

Explorer
"What? It's the exact opposite of practical!" Keldar exclaims. "And what good is jumping down once we've won? We're not doing it for fun! Well, perhaps a bit. But mostly not.

"Haven't any of you ever tried to be sneaky before? Even if they're not looking for us specifically, they'll still be watching who arrives in town as part of their everyday routine. Back when I… knew people who were thieves in Orussus, they'd loiter near the gates, to see who looked wealthy and who looked like trouble, and on a good day they'd have their pockets picked quicker than you can say 'Carry your bags to your inn for a copper, sir?'

"No, the surest way to get noticed is to arrive by a usual route. Now if we could hide Fimble in a backpack and Tarag in a barrel, then we might be getting somewhere."

Trouvere

Explorer
[sblock=OOC]Ottomh:
We know Vlad Turket is a bad guy. He is related to House Barnor, and lives in James Urton's old house on a level owned by House Dunn
Both these Houses and several others, notably the elven House Celebrindel, had scions disappear simultaneously when, presumably, the original Archaeologists were wiped out. We should check to see whether any Houses have lost two members recently (that is, the two thieves killed in Thyrin's tower)
We have, of course, a map of the tunnel system, so we could launch raids. We presume word of the existence of the tunnel system is leaking out
We know of a priest ostensibly murdered by a demon he summoned, and a wizard's apprentice burned in a mysterious fire, both thought to be Archaeologist assassination attempts
We know of a floating crystal orb in the tower that Fingers and his companions were told to rob (and he showed us which it is)
James Urton may be out there somewhere still. We know a little about his old haunts, but the information is all nearly 20 years old. We brought along a letter of introduction to the Fallon architects guild from their Orussus counterparts
We have a Rather Odd Shovel, surely not unique, and access to the spell Locate Object (so I imagine do the bad guys, so it's nice that ours is kept in a non-dimensional space)
It's probable the Balconeers have reported the name Keldar Warbray to their superiors
We have pockets full of ready money and loot. Before anything else, we should pick up at least one and ideally two wands of CLW.[/sblock]

Trouvere

Explorer
"Or I could change into a chain shirt and my clerical garments, Tommy could wear my lovely yellow performing outfit, Fimble could disguise himself as a halfling and turn Tarag invisible, and we could take a lifting box down and trust to luck. It's a poor third choice, but it's an idea."

Boddynock

First Post
"I still say we stop wasting time, take the first available transport down, find a room to stay, and purchase or make the items we need. Both Tommy and I can produce items of wondrous power, so let's get to it!"

Remove ads