A Rather Odd Shovel [Judge: Bront]

Trouvere

Explorer
"Ships, and their inquisitive sailors, are that way," says Keldar resignedly. He slips an arm across Tommy's shoulders. "I'd have trusted you," he says. "We'd have been like eagles. And a bustard."

covaithe

Explorer
"You can still wear your vestments if you like, Keldar. Maybe you can make some converts on the way down." Tommy offers, smiling at the familiar bickering.

ooc: I think that's consensus, or close enough.

Trouvere

Explorer
"That's a good idea! Not the making converts part! But if I look enough like a priest, perhaps all they'll see is the robes, and not the handsome face. Especially if I pick some tiresome religion that everyone's heard everything about a hundred times before, so they avoid me. Oh, look at that, a holy symbol just like Galwynn's. That'll do nicely. I'll wear the robes, hide away the rapiers, and lean on a quarterstaff."

Keldar makes some adjustments to his accoutrements. "It'd be easier with a magic hat, of course. It'd be - one, two, three, ta da! - and a whole new person. But that's impossible, of course."

He hums happily and runs his hands through his hair, which turns bright yellow. He doesn't seem to notice.

Trouvere

Explorer
"And remember, we're supposed to be returning in secret! So don't go giving anyone your real name. If anyone asks, I'm Father, um, Lakeward. Barry Lakeward."

"No one ever seems to recognise that name," Keldar adds a little sadly.

"Anyone see a ship yet?"

Trouvere

Explorer
"No, Father Lakeward, I don't see a ship. Perhaps we can find a floating log manned by particularly adventurous frogs," says Keldar.

OOC: bump.

covaithe

Explorer
Keldar makes some adjustments to his accoutrements. "It'd be easier with a magic hat, of course. It'd be - one, two, three, ta da! - and a whole new person. But that's impossible, of course."

Tommy, staring off into the distance absently, startles a bit. He makes to open his mouth, then looks around for eavesdroppers, only continuing when he spies none. He speaks to Keldar in a low voice, eyes still flickering around suspiciously. "Er, I think I've heard of such hats, actually. Their construction involves a spell which I don't know, but it may be that one of the scrolls I got from Thyrin would do the trick. I'd have to study it, of course. Maybe we could try it, while we're lying low. Of course, first we have to find transport. Who knew it could take this long to find a boat coming into a harbor?"

Trouvere

Explorer
"I know, you told me yesterday, in the school's magic shop," says Keldar patiently. "Thanks. Anyway, the salesman explained all about them. I could look like an old man or a young woman, you know. Maybe even an elf, or a half-orc with a halberd. But I haven't got one now, so I can't change my appearance in an instant. But fortunately, I keep a few changes of clothes, so I've done what I can. You can borrow my splendid yellow performing outfit, if you like! It's not as nice as my vestments, though. There are porridge stains on the leggings. They're somehow nastier than the grease marks and scorches on my priest's clothes. Ah, remember when Rapture got angry with me, because she thought I was trying to sell them to that old priest in Grenton as a holy relic?"

Keldar rubs at the old marks, which vanish as though they were never there.

"Well, that is odd," he says. "They didn't clean up at all when I tried before. Hmm...."

Keldar pulls out the infamous yellow entertainer's clothes. "Clean!" he says. "Goodness me. Fancy that. Um... blue! Red! Green! Yellow!"

Keldar sits down in a heap. "Tommy!" he says. "It's almost as though anything I want to happen, happens."

Trouvere

Explorer
"No! Do you think?"

Keldar clears his throat, and makes his wish. Nothing happens. "Then, a hat full of... gold? No. Maybe I just need to concentrate harder."

"A hat full of gold! Hat full of silver!"

"Red trousers! Well, that still works. A hat full of silver! Damn!"

Keldar pulls out the silk handkerchief which came free with the scroll of Mage's Horror and mops his brow.

"A hat -"

The handkerchief twists, stretches and folds itself up into a passable imitation of a round cap. Keldar drops it in surprise. He puts his nose close to the ground and peers underneath.

"Still no coins, though. But who needs coins when you have garments that change colour! You know what this must mean? Oh, this is a long-awaited day. My sorcerous powers have awoken! I don't know if I ever mentioned it before, but I am descended at several generations remove from the mighty silver dragon Corsymcryx, so it was only to be expected. Ah, this is the opening of a fearful new chapter in what will, no doubt, one day be known as the Warbrayviad. Is Keldar a good name for a sorcerer? Maybe I should change it. I could go by Keldarath or something. I wonder what other powers I have -"

If a ship doesn't come soon to distract Keldar, then swimming would seem more attractive. Drowning too, possibly.

Rae ArdGaoth

Explorer
After a seemingly interminable wait, finally a ship appears on the horizon. It approaches the geysers slowly but steadily. With no queue, it won't have to wait long.

OOC: Hailing the ship? How?

OOG: Sorry, rough week to start things back up. I'll be more punctual now.

Remove ads