A Rather Odd Shovel [Judge: Bront]

covaithe

Explorer
"You know what this must mean? Oh, this is a long-awaited day. My sorcerous powers have awoken!

Tommy nods sagely. "Well, too bad about the coins, but as I suspected, it's nothing miraculous or inexplicable, merely magical. I don't think there's anything wrong with 'Keldar' as a name for someone with innate magical abilities. After all, it's your name, and you appear to have those abilities. Congratulations! But, uh, you might want to save your experimentation for another time; here comes a boat. Hello, there! Can you give us passage down to the city?"

If no one stops him, Tommy will approach the river bank, waving and calling.

[sblock=passage economics]This whole idea of buying passage downward in a ship comes from the observation that a fairly major road -- major enough to show up on LEW's Orussus-region map, at least -- intersects with the river right at Fallon. So presumably people are travelling overland to Fallon, and have to get down from the surface somehow. It was in my head that one of the normal ways of doing this would be to purchase passage on an approaching ship. I'm not sure if there's actually any in-game evidence to support this, or if it's just been lurking in my head long enough now that I've assumed it represents reality.
[/sblock]

Trouvere

Explorer
[sblock=OOC]Absolutely reasonable, I think. Here on the east side of the river north of the city (I think that's where we ended up), we'd expect arrivals by road from Medibaria, and river traffic from both Medibaria and Hendralia. Road travellers with wagons surely can't take them down the 100 storey staircases or in the lifts that we've seen, so there must be some way for them to get down. If there's been no sign of larger cargo lifts or a designated vertical ferryboat, then it must be standard procedure for boats to help out foot traffic. See how we force the DM's hand! :p[/sblock]Keldar the Sorcerer gazes inward. "Innate magical abilities! That does sound impressive. As I thought, though, as I thought."

He jumps to his feet. "A boat? For now, then, I must be simple Lakeward, pious, reverent and meek, keeping a vow of silence."

Rae ArdGaoth

Explorer
[sblock=OOC]Your logic has crushed me.[/sblock]

A man on the ship notices Tommy's hails and banks towards you. Conveniently, a long dock has been built, extending immediately from the edge of the road. Hailing boats from here to get passage down to the city must be standard practice.

Within no time at all, the boat has pulled up to the dock and a man greets you from the rail. "Hail, travelers! Going to Fallon?"

covaithe

Explorer
"Yes, please," Tommy says brightly. "Passage for five... Er, I mean three. No, wait, four!"

"Sorry, Fimble," he mutters sheepishly as the ship approaches. "I didn't see you behind Tarag's haversack."

Trouvere

Explorer
Lakeward raises his staff, smiles beatifically, and extends his arms wide in blessing of the ship, the day, and the wonders of travelling in the world.

Rae ArdGaoth

Explorer
"Ah, a priest, we're always glad to have some divine protection aboard." Somehow, the man's tone isn't entirely convincing. Nevertheless, he waves you up the gangway onto the ship. "No need for payment. The city gives us a small discount on docking dues if we come in with ferry passengers. Not much, but more than it costs to come so slightly out of our way."

You repeat the descent into the chasm of Fallon, and it is almost as marvelous as before, though this time you aren't flush with a successful routing of pirates and a newly acquired sailing vessel.

Once at the docks, you are bid a gracious farewell, and manage not to encounter the fat dock warden from before.

Boddynock

First Post
"Now then," says Tarag, "what about that inn where we stayed previously? The food and ale was good and the rooms give plenty of privacy. Both Tommy and I can use the time to create some magical items. The only question is, what do we need?"

Trouvere

Explorer
"It's entertaining being a priest," says Keldar, making vague gestures of benediction towards passersby. "Why don't you bless the populace more often, Tarag?"

"Inn? Yes. Oh, no, no, let's not forget again. We want to find a nice temple and ask them for a healing wand or two, one for you so you can use your magic on our enemies, and one for me, so we can look after you. Right now, before we get into any unexpected tr-"

"O Fallona in fossa fabricata, civitas cataractarum, pulchra es in aurora crepusculoque, ornata pontibus lapidibus! Accipe monitionem rudoris belli! Vae tibi, gens Fallonae! Vae tibi! Advertite ab improbitate, ne tota in sanguine et eluvione consumentur!" Keldar shouts in ringing hieratic tones.

"Goodness me, that's never happened before."

Boddynock

First Post
"Keldar, you bloody fool, we're supposed to be avoiding attention. Oh, blast you! When this is over, you can go your own way. I'm off back to my Forge!"

Tarag turns his back on the wretched human and asks Fimble for directions to the nearest temple where they might purchase healing wands. Upon receiving directions he says, "Let's go!" and strides off without waiting, muttering very rude Dwarvish words under his breath.

Remove ads