Peregrinations of the Shard

Rystil Arden

First Post
Knight Otu said:
(I'll just need to know if we're taking a day for Ashnar to copy phantom mount, or if Tenebrynn and Elektra bear the load of the seven spells for the group. Otherwise, we'll just have to figure out who'll prepare the third spell (probably me).)
(OOC: We can take no extra day by having Ashnar prep off of one of the other's books. Then that's three, two, two. If Ashna volunteers to prep three of them, then we're ready. Is that OK?)

Knight Otu

First Post
Rystil Arden said:
(OOC: We can take no extra day by having Ashnar prep off of one of the other's books. Then that's three, two, two. If Ashna volunteers to prep three of them, then we're ready. Is that OK?)
(Didn't think you'd allow that, but sure.)

Rystil Arden

First Post
(OOC: It's specifically allowed by the core rules--I keep mentioning it every time you guys spend tens of thousands of gold to maintain multiple Blessed Books :lol: )

SRD said:
Wizard Spells and Borrowed Spellbooks
A wizard can use a borrowed spellbook to prepare a spell she already knows and has recorded in her own spellbook, but preparation success is not assured. First, the wizard must decipher the writing in the book (see Arcane Magical Writings, above). Once a spell from another spellcaster’s book is deciphered, the reader must make a Spellcraft check (DC 15 + spell’s level) to prepare the spell. If the check succeeds, the wizard can prepare the spell. She must repeat the check to prepare the spell again, no matter how many times she has prepared it before. If the check fails, she cannot try to prepare the spell from the same source again until the next day. (However, as explained above, she does not need to repeat a check to decipher the writing.)

(OOC: Hmmm, looks like the exact wording would mean that if your spellbook was destroyed, you would be unable to use a borrowed one. Weird wording--I'll ignore it. I think you still need to spend a day though to learn the spell, even if you don't copy it. But you can't leave til tomorrow when you can reprep anyways, so it'll work)

Knight Otu

First Post
Rystil Arden said:
(OOC: It's specifically allowed by the core rules--I keep mentioning it every time you guys spend tens of thousands of gold to maintain multiple Blessed Books :lol: )
(That depends on the definition of "knows," I guess. That was the sticky point with my plan to allow Tenebrynn to prepare secret page out of my blessed book, remember?)

Rystil Arden

First Post
Knight Otu said:
(That depends on the definition of "knows," I guess. That was the sticky point with my plan to allow Tenebrynn to prepare secret page out of my blessed book, remember?)
(OOC: True. I would assume that you can know it after one day without also scribing it. And as mentioned, you have to wait til tomorrow anyway to prep the new set of spells, so you have time)

Rystil Arden

First Post
*Ashna learns the spell and prepares three copies the next morning off of Tenebrynn's book. Tenebrynn and Elektra each prepare two. Elektra's Phantom Steeds are slightly faster than those of the others, so the two people using her mounts are able to scout ahead if they like. They can cover 256 miles a day on one Phantom Steed per person per day, so reaching the Silverwood is easy. Even in the heavy forests, the steeds move at their full speed, so the going is easy enough.*

(OOC: Let me know any stealth / nonlethal combat / other precautions the group will take before entering the wood or approaching the shrine. Keep in mind that each steed can carry only 80 pounds above the body weight of the rider, so someone with tons of stuff might have trouble. Elektra's can carry 90)

Knight Otu

First Post
[sblock=Spells Prepared]Spells prepared (Save DC 16 + spell level, or 17+ spell level for Evo/Nec spells; 4+1/6+1/5+1/4+1/3+1):
0 - Acid splash, detect magic, flare*|x2, touch of fatigue§;
1st - Ashnar's sparkstrike*|, mage armor, ray of enfeeblement§x3, [empty]x2
2nd - Ashnar's athleticate augmentation, Ashnar's fiery shackles x2, Ashnar's l. pyromagical enhancement, protection from arrows, scorching ray*|;
3rd - Ashnar's shield swarm, dispel magic, fireball*|, phantom mount x3
4th - Dimension door, mnemonic enhancer, wall of fire*|, wall of ice*
Spells cast into necromantic nexus
0 - disrupt undead§
1st - cause fear§
2nd - false life§
3rd - ray of exhaustion§
Spell cast into arcane storage amulet: false life§[/sblock]
Ashnar will cast mage armor on herself and use mnemonic enhancer to prepare a dispel magic.

Rystil Arden

First Post
(OOC: I don't understand why you did that--couldn't you have just prepared Dispel Magic in the 4th level slot to begin with and just not used Mnemonic Enhancer? It doesn't really matter though. I've usually seen Mnemonic Enhancer kept and used to retain a spell, sort of allowing an on the fly addition of any spell the Wizard prepped that day (so if a Dispel Magic fails and you need to try again, Mnemonic Enhancer that, but if you need more Fireballs, Mnemonic Enhancer that, etc).

Anyway, once we find out what Tenebrynn has prepared, I guess we should be ready to go unless there are other precautions or preparations.)

Remove ads