Terra Subterranea and The Caverns of Lost Time

Dalamar

Adventurer
"I will also be requiring a horse," Zack says. "Preferrably a living one, the mage horses we rode here were unsettling. Plus I think one of those magical torches would be useful, I think."

Velmont

First Post
"I can summon horses if we ever need it, but I don't want to use a significant amount of my magic to summon horses while we have reason to think we might get attack. But if something happen to our mounts, it won't be too much a problem." tells Opale.

"And a continual flames torch would be a good idea. Maybe even two of them, just in case. I suggest too we buy at least one wand of healing, so Michael will not have to block all his ressources to heal us after a major combat."

Rystil Arden

First Post
*After handing them a map of the region around the Lands of Earth, Rayne heads over to speak with the next group.*

"I am afraid I know little more than that about the Terran Shard. Good luck to you all in finding it. The fate of the world rests in your hands," she says, as she leaves.

*Some time later, Ayanel returns.*

"So, I encountered a little hitch while trying to buy the horses--I weighed down several prospective horses to determine with how much weight they could move unhindered, and it turns out that even if we have him remove his heavy armour, Hulgyr is going to overencumber even the sturdiest of horses, so much so that it might substantially slow down the expedition--or at least, we would be moving more slowly than we would if we just all took off our armour and walked every day, showing a bit of gumption in how many hours we were willing to forced march."

"In that case, it may make the most sense for Hulgyr to ride a conjured mount so that he can therefore ride for twice as long per day, thus making up for lost time against any mounted riders moving at full speed. The trouble with that plan is that it separates Hulgyr from the rest of us for a decent amount of the day. In dangerous areas, that would be unacceptable."

"I have another idea. Maybe someone could use this wand?" Andric offers a wand, "It was donated by a Ranger of our fair city of Fallon. It is said to speed journeys."

(OOC: This is a wand of the LEW specific Ranger spell that lets you hustle for as long as you can usually march. Michael can use it because he has 1 Ranger level)

"That could be used on the whole party to double our speed for a week, shaving a week off the entire trip, or it could be used over 50 days to speed up one slower member of the party," Ayanel posits.

(OOC: Edit, apparently it only works on 'You' if the CL is 1, like for a wand)

"Unfortunately, I believe that wand only affects the caster. It can still be of great use in the mountains, though."

Last edited:

Rystil Arden

First Post
*After thinking for a moment, Ayanel has an idea.*

"Okay, I guess the solution here is to use the Phantom Steed spell. It moves extremely fast and can move at full speed over rocky and treacherous terrain. The trouble is that it is a fairly complex spell, and so it would take quite a bit out of me to cast seven of them. If Opale helped, we would still both be low on our strongest spells, but I'm guessing it would be well worth it. These things never get tired, so we're talking a gain of four times the speed over the regular horses, and it would be more except the duration would expire too soon to get the full benefit. If we could find a way to increase the durations, we could perhaps double that again and go eight times as fast. And the more efficient we are, the better by far."

Erekose13

Explorer
"Would a wagon or other form of transportation allow us to move more quickly? I might be able to provide the wagon." says Eternity. While she'd prefer the company, metamorphosing into a wagon would allow her to carry Hulgyr.

ajanders

Explorer
"The Wendigo Mountains are pretty rough terrain. Wagons only work on roads, and we'll be off those almost immediately.
Normal horses won't make good time there, and if one of them throws a shoe, we may be out of luck. I know we have good smiths in the company, but that won't help unless you can carry a forge in your pocket."

Michael scratches his chin thoughtfully.
"Also, having found a horse not sired from the abyss, I'm reluctant to take her anywhere and turn her loose, and I'm sure we can't take a horse into the Underdark."

He shrugs.

"I think the suggestion of magic horses is our best option, eked out with walking. We don't have to worry about fodder, we don't have to worry about bad terrain, and we don't have to feel guilty about abandoning our horses in the middle of the Wendigo Mountains.
If it was the Fluffy Pink Bunny mountains I'd have less guilt."

Michael looks up to gauge everyone elses thoughts.

Rystil Arden

First Post
*Ayanel nods.*

"I believe that to be the most sensible alternative. In fact, that is why I did not purchase any horses. I did, however, buy us some supplies. Phantom Steeds cannot hold much more than their rider, so I'm storing most of the provisions in a Bag of Holding for now."

Velmont

First Post
"Casting Phantom steed is in my ability. The one I can summon will move at three time the speed of a normal horse, but we won't be able to use them for a whole day of travel. But that should still allow us to cover more then twice teh distance we would travel with a normal horse.

Also, it will tax my spellcasting capacity, as half my stroingest spell will be used to summon such horses. But that will be only to reach the mountain. Once there, we won't need that them, so I'll be back at full capacity.

For that, Aya, you'll need to show me your spell, as I don't have it written."

Rystil Arden

First Post
"Indeed. A horse could not travel for more than eight hours in any case. I will show you how to prepare the spell off of my spellbook, and we can leave in the morning. Is there anything else to take care of, or shall we make our final preparations and meet in the morning?"

Remove ads