The Blind Watchers of the Sylvan Shard - Page 27




+ Log in or register to post
Page 27 of 60 FirstFirst ... 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 ... LastLast
Results 261 to 270 of 598
  1. #261
    Registered User
    Gallant (Lvl 3)

    Rae ArdGaoth's Avatar

    Join Date
    Jul 2004
    Location
    Gainesville, FL
    Posts
    3,574

    Ignore Rae ArdGaoth
    The rest of the night, the mood is tense. Hardly any of you catch a wink of sleep, every creaking branch sounds like a giant spider clacking its fangs together. Dawn comes mercifully, and the rains have stopped. The forest is filled with a soft green morning light that seems to dispel the fear of the night. Thallirae suggests, "Let us wait here for the morning. This route has become dangerous, apparently, and I think it wise that we be at our full strength for the days ahead."

    Assuming you follow her advice, you rest until around noon, and feel a little bit stronger, both in mind and body.

    OOC:
    Still need two Fort saves from Khairi.

    XP Awards:

    For the month of April:
    50 XP * Character's current level

    For the Ettercaps:
    450 XP each (except Lucien)
    400 XP to Lucien

    For thinking of the dryads and their trees:
    25 XP to Rinya


    Gathering your gear together, you set off for another day of travel. "Only two days left. We are almost there," your guide informs you. As before, the trail only becomes narrower, the canopy grows ever thicker, and you feel a peaceful and quiet presence around you. The trees this deep into the Silverwood are large, probably larger than any trees you've seen before. You also see some forest fauna; they seem bolder here. A small family of deer actually approaches you and rummages through your packs with their noses.

    You don't find any convenient open grove to sleep in this night. Instead, you camp in the roots of a truly massive tree. It's definitely the biggest you've ever seen. Some of the roots are big enough to drape a cloth over and sleep under, and that's exactly what you do.

    The first three watches are uneventful. Then, in the early morning during Lucien and Thallirae's watch, Lucien and Thallirae both hear something crashing through the undergrowth. Whatever it is, it's coming right at you, at a high velocity. Thallirae turns to Lucien, her eyebrows raised, seeming to ask him what he thinks they should do.
    Currently playing...

    Living EN World

    Rasereit Vundinn, the red-haired dwarven barbarian. (Level 8)

    LEW Character Judge

 

  • #262
    Registered User
    Acolyte (Lvl 2)

    Dungannon's Avatar

    Join Date
    Oct 2002
    Location
    Hagerstown, MD
    Posts
    3,590

    Ignore Dungannon
    Lucien readies his weapons. "Prepare to wake the others, I will investigate."

    With that, the ranger begins to make his way towards the noise.

    Devlin Magruder in Living ENWorld, semi-retired.
    Lucien Rayes in Living ENWorld, semi-retired.
    Living Enworld DM for R1: Hired Hands and R2: Rats in a Maze

  • #263
    Registered User
    Gallant (Lvl 3)

    Rae ArdGaoth's Avatar

    Join Date
    Jul 2004
    Location
    Gainesville, FL
    Posts
    3,574

    Ignore Rae ArdGaoth
    Thallirae nods and watches Lucien anxiously.

    Lucien heads quickly and quietly into the woods. The crashing is getting closer. Based on sound alone, Lucien thinks he can make out at least a couple pairs of legs. He moves forward, hoping to catch a glimpse of the thing before it reaches the camp. It's almost upon him when he finally does: a wolf is chasing a deer through the forest, and their course is headed right for the camp.

    Lucien is about 120' from the camp. From Lucien, the deer is 100' away, the wolf is 150' away.
    Currently playing...

    Living EN World

    Rasereit Vundinn, the red-haired dwarven barbarian. (Level 8)

    LEW Character Judge

  • #264
    Registered User
    Acolyte (Lvl 2)

    Dungannon's Avatar

    Join Date
    Oct 2002
    Location
    Hagerstown, MD
    Posts
    3,590

    Ignore Dungannon
    Lucien picks up a rock (or stick if it's more convenient) and throws it at the deer, hoping to spook it into a different route so it doesn't run right through the middle of the camp.

    Devlin Magruder in Living ENWorld, semi-retired.
    Lucien Rayes in Living ENWorld, semi-retired.
    Living Enworld DM for R1: Hired Hands and R2: Rats in a Maze

  • #265
    Registered User
    Gallant (Lvl 3)

    Rae ArdGaoth's Avatar

    Join Date
    Jul 2004
    Location
    Gainesville, FL
    Posts
    3,574

    Ignore Rae ArdGaoth
    Lucien's rock lands right in front of the deer. It halts and immediately changes course. The wolf gives quick pursuit. Then suddenly, right before Lucien's eyes, the deer goes down beneath the wolf. The change of course could have had something to do with it, but then again, maybe not.
    Currently playing...

    Living EN World

    Rasereit Vundinn, the red-haired dwarven barbarian. (Level 8)

    LEW Character Judge

  • #266
    Registered User
    Acolyte (Lvl 2)

    Dungannon's Avatar

    Join Date
    Oct 2002
    Location
    Hagerstown, MD
    Posts
    3,590

    Ignore Dungannon
    Lucien watches the wolf feed for a bit, making sure the creature doesn't try to go for the camp. When he's satisfied the wolf isn't a threat, he quietly makes his way back to Thallirae.

    "Nothing to worry about, just nature taking its course."

    Devlin Magruder in Living ENWorld, semi-retired.
    Lucien Rayes in Living ENWorld, semi-retired.
    Living Enworld DM for R1: Hired Hands and R2: Rats in a Maze

  • #267
    Registered User
    Gallant (Lvl 3)

    Rae ArdGaoth's Avatar

    Join Date
    Jul 2004
    Location
    Gainesville, FL
    Posts
    3,574

    Ignore Rae ArdGaoth
    Thallirae is kneeling next to Rinya, just about to wake her, when Lucien returns. She stands, relieved, and resumes the watch. Beyond the deer-wolf incident, nothing happens, and dawn comes.

    The next morning, you make your final trek through the woods. All around you, the giant trees grow. The more nature savvy among you recognize them as oaks, though they are rather large for their species. The canopy, as before, is thick, and no direct sunlight reaches the forest floor. The ground is surprisingly clear here. Only grass and small weeds grow, with a few patches of hardy flowers and herbs. The larger plants, you guess, do not receive enough sunlight to survive.

    Around noon, you smell something funny on the trail ahead. It smells like spoiled food, or a long dead corpse. Continuing on, you half expect to find a rotting carcass near the path, but the smell only gets stronger. Two hours past noon, the stench is pretty bad. You begin to notice many patches of small, light brown and white mushrooms, growing on the forest floor, sometimes extending up along the sides of trees.

    Progressing ever onward, the odoriferous presence becomes even stronger. The mushroom patches have increased in both frequency and size, and you see some pretty large caps. A little further along the trail, the caps are humongous, they look large enough to provide cover in the rain. Upon closer examination, you realize that beneath the mushroom caps, the soft fins are blackened and rotting, exuding some kind of unnatural pus. The stench from the pus is absolutely rank.

    Finally, just before dusk, you reach a large "clearing". It's a clearing in the traditional sense that it is a break in the trees, but instead of a grassy meadow, it is filled with truly colossal mushrooms. And all around the mushrooms, holes like windows have been cut out, and round wooden doors are set into the sides. There are about a dozen of the capped structures.

    In the center of the mushroom grove is a circle of smaller toadstools, these ones of orange and yellow colors. And within the circle, no less than seven elven men and women lay sleeping.

    Throughout the grove, there are several men and women and a single male gnome in white, loose-fitting cloths, sitting cross-legged in the grass with stern looks on their faces. Each person's eyes are covered with a colored leather blindfold, but nonetheless, a woman approaches you with confident steps. She is an elf.

    She looks at your group and says, "Greetings, travelers. I am Nhairi. We heard you coming. Thallirae, I recognized your voice among the others. It is good of you to visit, but we have... a dire situation." Nhairi sniffs the air and cringes. The odor here is practically unbearable.

    "This is the Wyrwood Monastery. We are an order of blind monks, living in harmony with nature, studying its ways in order to perfect our bodies. Times are bad, but there is time yet. Please, I would know your names from your own voices."
    Currently playing...

    Living EN World

    Rasereit Vundinn, the red-haired dwarven barbarian. (Level 8)

    LEW Character Judge

  • #268
    Registered User
    Acolyte (Lvl 2)

    Dungannon's Avatar

    Join Date
    Oct 2002
    Location
    Hagerstown, MD
    Posts
    3,590

    Ignore Dungannon
    ooc: at what point should I be declaring my spell for the day?

    Devlin Magruder in Living ENWorld, semi-retired.
    Lucien Rayes in Living ENWorld, semi-retired.
    Living Enworld DM for R1: Hired Hands and R2: Rats in a Maze

  • #269
    Registered User
    Acolyte (Lvl 2)

    Heckler's Avatar

    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Location
    Cincinnati
    Posts
    2,142

    Ignore Heckler
    "I am called Rinya Starflower," she says succinctly.
    My LEW Characters
    Rinya Starflower
    Babette Delacroix
    Octavio Amontillado

    www.invisiblecastle.com



    PC cleric trying to explain the concept of a soul to a hatchling dragon PC.

    Cleric: It's a part of you, just like your arms. What would you be without your arms?
    Dragon: A wyvern.

    -Ambrus

  • #270
    Registered User
    Minor Trickster (Lvl 4)

    Phoenix8008's Avatar

    Join Date
    Jan 2002
    Location
    Frostproof, FL
    Posts
    5,290

    Ignore Phoenix8008
    "I...am Saithnar." the red robed Elan announces quietly to Nhairi while looking around the clearing with a wondering gaze. His right eyebrow seems to lift habitually as he murmurs to himself in quiet study of the area. "Hmmmm..."

  • + Log in or register to post
    Page 27 of 60 FirstFirst ... 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 ... LastLast

    Similar Threads

    1. Needle watchers
      By Dantardis in forum Story Hour
      Replies: 3
      Last Post: Wednesday, 15th October, 2008, 10:19 PM
    2. What Is Wrong With Sylvan Creatures?
      By SHARK in forum RPGs & Tabletop Gaming Discussion
      Replies: 38
      Last Post: Tuesday, 15th April, 2003, 11:37 PM
    3. [PrC] Watchers of the Gate
      By RobNJ in forum D&D and Pathfinder
      Replies: 6
      Last Post: Thursday, 30th May, 2002, 05:53 PM
    4. Replies: 42
      Last Post: Saturday, 23rd February, 2002, 10:35 PM
    5. [YB2] Uziel the blind defeats Shard the mad!
      By Phoenix8008 in forum Playing the Game
      Replies: 53
      Last Post: Thursday, 7th February, 2002, 06:51 AM

    Posting Permissions

    • You may not post new threads
    • You may not post replies
    • You may not post attachments
    • You may not edit your posts
    •