Undine the Sea

Heckler

First Post
"Everyone, can we all please try and settle down. We've all got a difficult job ahead of us and we're all going to have to depend on each other if we're going to be successful and come through with our skins intact. Now, Hendrallia has been kind enough to set aside their political issues for the moment and sponsoring this leg of the quest.

As for Rivenblight, I think that everyone realizes that certain comments made by their spokesperson were only his opinions, and not representative of the nation overall. Most people intent on completing this quest, including our representative from Hendrallia, realise that Rivenblight does have some more...levelheaded...people who are willing to work together on this.

So everyone, relax!

Ummm, sorry, I don't usually get riled up like that...,"
Babette mutters, slightly embarrassed at her outburst.

Rystil Arden

First Post
"But Thiliaerin also said that the nation of Rivenblight as a whole will be obstructing our progress. I don't know the political climate and how things work there, but I do think we should take him seriously, and it is therefore best to assume that the nation of Rivenblight as a whole will indeed be working against us. Now, there might be exceptions to this, I agree, but we can't just assume that everyone is an exception. I'm assuming you all must know Ximix well from some previous excursion, as otherwise all speaking up like this makes no sense. That's fine, but even if he worked well with you before, you don't know for a fact where his loyalties lie with respect to going against his nation's official stance. That's why we should all let Ximix speak for himself and explain why we can trust him to go against his country's official stance and work with us. As I said before, if he is with us, then he must have a good reason, so he can just tell us why and satisfy all of us on this matter. Please let Ximix talk..."

Dargon

First Post
"This is foolish" sending ximix a hard look before going on. "We are here for the same reason. His actions would answer you first question Alicia, but disturb me when it is done. "
sensitive subjects indeed
Turning her attention and mind away from the argument she takes out her spellbook and making sure Babette can se, she slowly pages through saying to her "I wonder what spells might come handy on this trip?". When she reach the page of charm person, "What do you think of this?" she looks up again to se if the bitter words are still rolling on.

OoC: Nura has already made her diplomatic damage, with the sage. Now it is Ximix turn it seems. this is painting a bright future for the group
thats what you get for talking to strangers ;)

Last edited:

Rystil Arden

First Post
(OOC: For what it's worth, Alicia is not speaking bitterly. I know Diplomacy doesn't work on PCs, but as a gauge to see how her words should generally come off, I rolled a check and she rolled very well (if the group abided by the results of Diplomacy, they would have even gone from Unfriendly to Friendly). Out of character as the GM, her request is, from an objective neutral standpoint, entirely reasonable, and the fact that everyone is yelling at her in series and not letting Ximix just answer her has become almost comical--I think everyone who checked into the thread except Krindorf has done so thus far :lol:

It's a good thing that Alicia is pretty much the nicest representative you might have gotten from Hendrallia. Even so, she may request a reassignment of some of the PCs to different shards if the group doesn't work out. There's probably some swapping with Sylvan that could work in some capacity)

Ximix

First Post
Ximix has closed his eyes as the tumult rises around him. He opens them as the woman finishes her latest demands, and fixes her with a sad, unblinking stare. His words are a bit more terse and clipped and the hint of frustration overlies his obvious disappointment.

"You ask me to speak... yet you have not heard what I have already said, so what further could I say that you would not bend to your preconceived decision? I can only say this, and hope that this time you will listen:
I wish to aid this mission because I believe the future of all peoples is at risk and I will do what I can to help. I have no loyalty to any one people or nation that clouds my mind such that I would place my own future freedom at risk, even though in joining you I place my very life in your hands. I can offer no greater proof of my loyalty than that."

[sblock=OOC: ] Wow, got me goin! Too bad no RP awards, I think the whole group is playing pretty darn well before the first initiative roll!

[sblock=rant: ] The following is my original post, written before I read Rystil's Diplomacy numbers and Nura's comments. Since my follow up would be adjusted by these things, I scaled back to the above. I believe it's a good thing I edited... things got a bit heated :)

"You are quite clear, there is in fact nothing I can say to convince you of my loyalty." Looking about the table at his sometime companions, the priest of the god of Knowledge and Learning speaks with slow and measured words, "The mission is too important for this schism to continue. Though I could pledge myself loyal to the very throne of Hendrallia and still the blood of the past would deny this woman the ability to hear or understand anything but her hate." Looking sharply back to the representative, yet holding his tone to even once again, "Yes young lady, you have much hate. It lies trapped, like an animal, which is how many of my people view yours. We each could outdo the other in stories of violence and bloodshed between our peoples. Meanwhile the real possibility that those same-said peoples, along with scores of thousands of others, will be destroyed or enslaved by a force so vile as to make our own people's atrocities pale by comparison.
Again I will say it, let your ears only hear,"
the priests voice raises, a tremor runs through his body as he speaks, "I have only one Master, and that is my lord Gliran. I have only one passion, and that is Knowledge. My wish for peace for my homeland is simply that: Peace!. It is a scholars' wish for peace, not a warrior, conqueror or sadist. I place no-one's blood as a condition." The cleric sags a bit, looking once again at his wine, his hand plays idly at the stem a moment and he resumes his tired speech, his tone one of resignation, his body language speaks of defeat.
"As to why I have, and continue to offer myself into the very real possibility of harm for this mission is simple: The same-said lord that leads me to learning and enlightenment has gifted me with the ability to heal others and brace them in battle against those that would destroy civilization, destroy the bastions of learning and knowledge, destroy and enslave those great minds which could one day enlighten thousands... I offer myself for the selfish reason that I hope to one day enjoy the gifts of knowledge which only free society offers... for I have no reason to believe that such a place will be spared under the rule of the lich."

Ximix quietly stands, pays for his untouched drink and then holds the youthful leader's gaze once more, his words hushed, "Bid me sit, and speak to me no more of borders and kingdoms, for you accept my loyalty in doing so, or hold your tongue, for I shall be insulted no further and will take your silence for the admission of your blind hate and burden this group no further.

Again, this is what I almost posted... but I spent so much time on it that I just had to share it... I don't get that much RP time ;)
[/sblock]

[/sblock]

Last edited:

Rystil Arden

First Post
(OOC: EDIT--ignore this post. It was in response to the non-edited post above!)

"Though I could pledge myself loyal to the very throne of Hendrallia and still the blood of the past would deny this woman the ability to hear or understand anything but her hate."

"You are wrong," Alicia states simply, "I can only assume you are projecting something of yourself into your perception of me, for you have seriously misjudged me if that is what you think. Just answer me this question honestly. It will tell me what I need to know. I can only accept people for this mission who I can trust to be behind us wholeheartedly. I agree with your sentiment that we must work to stop a 'force so vile as to make our own people's atrocities pale by comparison'. But Rivenblight has taken the opposite stance. So here is my question. Answer honestly. I will be able to tell if you are lying: Hypothetically, on the course of our journey, let us say that we encounter a force from Rivenblight that attacks us with lethal intent to prevent us from gathering the shard. I know you obviously hate me. Let us say that an elven soldier has impaled me and is about to finish me off. You could heal me enough that I will dispatch the elf, or you could simply do nothing and I would die and the elf, your countryman, would live. Which would you do?"

(OOC: Roll a Bluff check if he lies. Alicia will be satisfied if she thinks he is telling the truth--her main concern is in a situation like this. As I said before, it is an entirely reasonable concern whether or not the two countries hated each other. That they do makes it...more interesting, since she does have that personal stake as well :])

Dargon

First Post
OoC: Just to clear up any misunderstandings
Nura did not yell :p
as to attitude she would still be in friendly (helpfull if their is something like that, never used that table in my years of gaming pnp DnD).

Rystil Arden

First Post
Dargon said:
OoC: Just to clear up any misunderstandings
Nura did not yell :p
as to attitude she would still be in friendly (helpfull if their is something like that, never used that table in my years of gaming pnp DnD).
(OOC: Unfortunately, perhaps, we are required to use it by RAW in LEW unless we houserule otherwise, though of course it doesn't work on PCs)

Rystil Arden

First Post
"Then please answer this question Ximix. Answer honestly. I will be able to tell if you are lying: Hypothetically, on the course of our journey, let us say that we encounter a force from Rivenblight that attacks us with lethal intent to prevent us from gathering the shard. I can see from your eyes that you do not like me. Let us say that an elven soldier has impaled me and is about to finish me off. You could heal me enough that I will dispatch the elf, or you could simply do nothing and I would die and the elf, your countryman, would live. Which would you do?"

(OOC: Roll a Bluff if he lies)

Remove ads