Undine the Sea

Rystil Arden

First Post
covaithe said:
Earlier:

Corvinus winces slightly, and says, "Please, call me Corvinus if you would, or Gaius Corvinus if you wish to be formal. In the tradition in which I was raised, the first name alone is only used by..." He colors slightly. "Ah, well, let's just say we don't know each other that well yet."

Now:
Corvinus frowns, not liking the sound of an undersea expedition, but willing to see what kind of plan will allow the group of surface-dwellers to be effective there.
"My apologies Corvinus. I had not run into that naming convention in my encounters with Monemvassians before. I shall strive to understand it for any future encounters. For my reference, is there any way to tell if a Monemvassian I meet would be using this convention? Is it more likely if the names end in '-us'?" Alicia wonders, momentarily distracted by her fascination for cultural conventions.

Rystil Arden

First Post
Amaury said:
"Good, so the priests can be supportive.. they may be a pricetage to it, but they could help.. Now, what about the distance? How far is it? Maybe we need to equip ourselves.." Jallembo suggests.
"The Temple is not close--it is on a large island in the Lands of Water. But the good news is that you can take a swift ship, so the journey should not be too long or arduous."

covaithe

Explorer
Rystil Arden said:
"My apologies Corvinus. I had not run into that naming convention in my encounters with Monemvassians before. I shall strive to understand it for any future encounters. For my reference, is there any way to tell if a Monemvassian I meet would be using this convention? Is it more likely if the names end in '-us'?" Alicia wonders, momentarily distracted by her fascination for cultural conventions.

"Unfortunately, it's not quite that simple. The old way of naming was already starting to fade by the time of the founding of Monemvassia, and with the sudden influx of new people, and the fact that the Jaras themselves chose not to name their children in the old way..." Corvinus shrugs resignedly. "Nowadays the tradition is rare, mostly used by very old families trying to remember the past, or very new families trying to put on airs. But the names themselves are common. There were half a dozen boys named Gaius in my neighborhood at home, and I've even met a few people using Corvinus as a surname in the modern style. It's the way of putting them together and how they're used that makes the old way distinct. Multiple names ending in -us is a good clue for men, and -a for women, but there are names that don't fit the pattern, and, as I've said, many of the names ending in -us are common now. The best clue is if you can get them to introduce themselves formally. For instance, had I spoken in the Council, I would have introduced myself as Gaius Valerius Corvinus, Sergeant of the Monemvassian Guard, retired. It's the three names taken together that are the key. But, practically speaking, it's always safe to address someone in the same way that they introduced themselves, and let them tell you if they wish to be addressed less formally. There are a few people who will deliberately introduce themselves the wrong way just to have a chance to make a scene, but..." he makes a dismissive gesture.

Rystil Arden

First Post
covaithe said:
"Unfortunately, it's not quite that simple. The old way of naming was already starting to fade by the time of the founding of Monemvassia, and with the sudden influx of new people, and the fact that the Jaras themselves chose not to name their children in the old way..." Corvinus shrugs resignedly. "Nowadays the tradition is rare, mostly used by very old families trying to remember the past, or very new families trying to put on airs. But the names themselves are common. There were half a dozen boys named Gaius in my neighborhood at home, and I've even met a few people using Corvinus as a surname in the modern style. It's the way of putting them together and how they're used that makes the old way distinct. Multiple names ending in -us is a good clue for men, and -a for women, but there are names that don't fit the pattern, and, as I've said, many of the names ending in -us are common now. The best clue is if you can get them to introduce themselves formally. For instance, had I spoken in the Council, I would have introduced myself as Gaius Valerius Corvinus, Sergeant of the Monemvassian Guard, retired. It's the three names taken together that are the key. But, practically speaking, it's always safe to address someone in the same way that they introduced themselves, and let them tell you if they wish to be addressed less formally. There are a few people who will deliberately introduce themselves the wrong way just to have a chance to make a scene, but..." he makes a dismissive gesture.
"Hmm, okay, I think I get it now. At least it's less confusing than trying to figure out Medibarian lineages and whether or not they add a Val- prefix to their last name. In Hendrallia, it's so much simpler. Maybe it's because we're a newer nation."

Ximix

First Post
earlier
Ximix smiles brightly at Nura and is very much looking forward to his theories on magic... then the discussion turns to underwater activities, and convincing a priesthood to give the group passage under the sea...
Frowning, the priest wonders alound, "Would it not be very dangerous to rely on unknown magics cast under false pretenses... add to that the very nature of spells makes relying on such magic dangerous in the extreme - a simple dispel magic would be fatal."
The Elf leans a bit, listening to the various naming conventions as they are described. Then, with what he hopes will be a pleasant smile, "The same-said intracasies are why my Order uses a single name, some of the older houses among my people use names so twisted in lore and 'honor' that it is all too easy to give slight without even knowing it. Putting on airs, as you said, is all too fashionable, though sadly not reseverved for younger houses alone. I have yet to meet a race that does not have an overly-prideful 'nobility', I have often wondered if it is a likely flaw of all who gain power over others?"

OOC: My apologies folks, I have limited access to the net over the weekend, so I fear I'll be posting catch-ups like this on most Mondays :(

Rystil Arden

First Post
"Would it not be very dangerous to rely on unknown magics cast under false pretenses... add to that the very nature of spells makes relying on such magic dangerous in the extreme - a simple dispel magic would be fatal."

"It is an unfortunate aspect of the equally unfortunate and silly spell Permanency that it can be eliminated with a single Dispelling. Fortunately, most who put effort into a long-term or permanent spell make sure that it is harder than that to remove. Since I have heard of successes before, I would expect such a thing to either be resistant to a simple Dispel Magic or else that a Dispelling would simply suppress the magic for a few seconds, short enough to hold your breath."

Ximix

First Post
"So am I to understand that you believe we will be provided with items that will grant water breathing?" Ximix's face is an open book, he's fascinated with the prospect.

Rystil Arden

First Post
"Something like that," Xanthar rubs his goatee thoughtfully, "I'm not sure exactly what they do, but I know that those priests have many delegations with the undersea cultures, and you're right that they would be foolish to allow death to be one Dispel away."

"Anyway, you should head to a nearby port and try to commission a ship, or if you're luckier, find one already headed to that temple. Hendrallia will fund your passage. Are you all set?"

Rystil Arden

First Post
"Well, you shouldn't have to worry because the merfolk, in theory, should know exactly where it is. But just i ncase, it is a fragment of a massive gem--even the shard itself may be as long as a foot or so on the longest side. It swirls with eddying torrents of energy, oft-associated with water. But the real coup de grace will be that it is immune to Divinations. So if you see something that looks like the Shard, just try some Divinations and see if they fail."

Remove ads