Racial Class - Lizardfolk

LesserSky

First Post
A couple of weeks ago I floated the idea in the general discusion thread of creating racial classes that would allow LEW players to create characters whose race has racial HD or LA and play them from level 1. I now offer for consideration the first such racial class, the lizardfolk.

Racial Classes: A Racial class is similar to any other class with a few exceptions:

-Like a prestige class, a racial class is not considered when calculating multiclassing penalties.

-A racial class does not necessarily grant an additional Hit Dice at every level. This means that attributes that depend on Hit Dice do not advance at that level. Such attribute include, BAB, save bonuses, hit points, feats, and attribute increases.

A racial class may be enter and left freely. After the first level a character may advance in another class, then return and continue progressing in the racial class without restriction. A character with a racial class does not need to progress through every level of the class.

Lizardfolk

Lizardfolk can be found in the dense jungles throughout enworld, but are found in greatest number in the living swamps near the tower of positive energy. As race Lizardfolk are strong and well adapted for live near water. They are generally not devoted to a god , rather their tribes are guided by druids.

A Lizardfolk generally leaves his swamp and tribe to adventure only in a couple of circumstances. He has been banished or the tribe has learned of significant threat. Of course there are always those individuals who a struck by a feeling of adventure or wanderlust, yet such individuals are likely to be banished anyway.

Code:
Level   BAB   HD     Fort   Ref   Will   Class Features
1       +0    1d8   +0     +2    +0     +1 Natural Armor, 2 Claws (1d4), +2 Swim
2       +1    2d8   +0     +3    +0     +3 natural Armor, +2 Balance, +2 Jump
3       +1    2d8   +0     +3    +0     +5 Natural Armor, 1 Bite (1d4), +2 Constitution, +4 Balance, Jump, Swim

Ability Adjustments:
1st Level: +2 Strength, -2 Intelligence
2nd Level: +2 Constitution

Weapon and Armor Proficiency: A lizardfolk is proficient with simple weapons and shields.

Skills: The lizard folk gains 4 x (2 + Int modifier) skill points at level 1. Its class skills are Balance(Dex), Jump(Str), and Swim(Str). At level 2 the Lizard folk gains 2 + Int modifier skill points. A Lizardfolk does not gains any skill points at level 3.

Class Skils: Balance, Jump, Swim

Racial Skill Bonuses: At level 1 a lizard folk gains +2 racial bonus to swim checks, this bonus increases to +4 at level 3. At level 2 a lizard folk gains a +2 racial bonus to both jump and balance checks, these bonuses increase to +4 at level 3.

Automatic Languages: Common, Draconic.
Bonus Languages: Aquan, Goblin, Gnoll, Orc.

Natural Armor: At 1st level a lizard folk has a +1 Natural Armor bonus. This increases by 2 at each level, thus at 2nd level the natural armor bonus is +3 and at 3rd level it is +5.

Natural Weapons: At Level 1, a lizard folk has 2 claw attacks (1d4 damage). At level 3 a lizardfolk gains a bite attack (1d4 damage).

Hold Breath: At level 3 a lizardfolk can hold its breath for a number of rounds equal to four times its Constitution score before it risks drowning.

Favored Clas: Fighter

-----------------------------------------------------------

Design notes and Discussion:

The biggest question of this class is how to divide the Lizard folk's abilities between the 3 levels.

First I put the level without hit dice as third. I thought it would be difficult for a character to survice through the second level if he only had a single HD.

I have moved the bite attack from the 2nd level where it was found in the original proposal, to the 3rd level.

Last edited:

orsal

LEW Judge
At first glance, this looks reasonable, although I'll withhold official approval until further discussion. A few technical points:
* The initial strength/intelligence adjustment should be listed under class features, level 1.
* "Favored class" makes no sense here -- it's a property of the race, not the class.
* When you list the natural attacks, also state the damage (1d4) explicitly. It's already in the SRD/MM, but let's eliminate the need to cross-reference.

As for it being a tad weak, the features and abilities by 3rd level are a given. The only thing to consider is whether the 1st or 2nd level lizardfolk with this progression is reasonably balanced.

Rystil Arden

First Post
You'll also note that the OP has put in a BIG change from the Savage Species racial classes--they've allowed you to multiclass out of the racial class before you're done. Because of this, someone of a Fighter sort who took two levels and then stopped is getting a lot of bang for their buck. The second level should really be the one with the missing HD to prevent this issue (it can even get the Con bonus shifted down to it to compensate).

LesserSky

First Post
Rystil Arden said:
You'll also note that the OP has put in a BIG change from the Savage Species racial classes--they've allowed you to multiclass out of the racial class before you're done. Because of this, someone of a Fighter sort who took two levels and then stopped is getting a lot of bang for their buck. The second level should really be the one with the missing HD to prevent this issue (it can even get the Con bonus shifted down to it to compensate).

The biggest reason I put the level without HD at level 3 is to help him survive level 2. A level 2 Lizardfolk with the HD-less level at level 2 would have only 50% of the HD of other level 2 characters. A level 3 Lizardfolk however would have 67% of the HD of other level 3 characters. I think orsal's point is extremely valid. The progression needs to balanced at level 2 against other level characters since its abilities at level 3 are already given by the monster manual.

This being said I have moved the bite attack from level 2 to level 3. I had not stopped to consider that it multiple natural attacks are the one of the Lizardfolk's greatest strengths. I may even want to move the 2 claw attacks from level 1 to level 2.

orsal said:
"Favored class" makes no sense here -- it's a property of the race, not the class.
Perhaps I could put it in a location where it make little more sense; however, I feel that it is important to include the Lizardfolk's favorit class. In fact, I have just changed it from druid to fighter.

Wik

First Post
I'm with Rystil on "bang for buck". I think you need to drop that proviso that says you can freely leave the class - the 3rd level is just not good enough to warrant taking, unless you force it on the Player (and I believe, in this case, you should).

orsal

LEW Judge
LesserSky said:
I feel that it is important to include the Lizardfolk's favorit class. In fact, I have just changed it from druid to fighter.

In that case I am opposed. I agree in principle with the idea of making it possible to acquire LA from LA races in stages; I do not, however, wish to change the existing stats of any race in the SRD. Since the SRD gives lizardfolk the favoured class of Druid, that should stay.

B4cchus

Explorer
I agree with keeping it in line with the SRD, so no change to the favored class.
I am opposed to feely multiclassing. These three levels should cover levels 1-3, no other classes should.

Solange

First Post
B4cchus said:
I agree with keeping it in line with the SRD, so no change to the favored class.
I am opposed to feely multiclassing. These three levels should cover levels 1-3, no other classes should.
This illustrates my thoughts exactly.

You should be forced to take it, which makes a weak 3rd level ok. I do think that the HD should be put off a level.

Remove ads