About Death and Resurrection

Reynard

Legend
Something I just noticed that has probably already been discussed to death, but I missed: characters below 11th level (heroic tier) cannot be brought back to life.

That's... interesting and, frankly, unexpected.

A'koss

Explorer
Reynard said:
Something I just noticed that has probably already been discussed to death, but I missed: characters below 11th level (heroic tier) cannot be brought back to life.

That's... interesting and, frankly, unexpected.
Cannot be brought back to life? Where did you pick that up from?

That is interesting...

Raith5

Adventurer
I thought the discussion about resurrection was about the availability of resurrection spells not about the mechanical consequences of dying. That is, being raised form dead is rare in heroic campaigns, possible in paragon campaigns and common in epic campaigns (i think the idea that death is speedbump" was thrown around).

Edit: discussion here http://www.enworld.org/showthread.php?t=216702

Last edited:

JohnSnow

Hero
Raith5 said:
I thought the discussion about resurrection was about the availability of resurrection spells not about the mechanical consequences of dying. That is, being raised form dead is rare in heroic campaigns, possible in paragon campaigns and common in epic campaigns (i think the idea that death is speedbump" was thrown around).

The general idea comes from Wizards Presents - Worlds and Monsters. When listing the "Key Conceits" of Fourth Edition, one of the ones listed was this:

Death Matters Differently: It's generally harder to die than in previous editions, particularly at low level. When a heroic-tier player character dies, the player creates a new character. A paragon PC can come back from the dead at a significant cost. For epic-tier characters, death is a speed bump. Being raised from the dead is available only to heroes, and it's more than just a spell and a financial transaction. NPCs, both good and evil, don't normally come back to life unless the DM has a good reason.

I think that sums up the 4E philosophy of death nicely.

Reynard

Legend
A'koss said:
Cannot be brought back to life? Where did you pick that up from?

That is interesting...

From Worlds and Monsters*, page 14

Death Matters Differently: It is generally harder to die than in previous editions, particularly at low level. When a heroic tier character dies, the player creates a new character. A paragon PC can come back from the dead at a significant cost. For epic tier characters, death is a speedbump.

EDIT: Dammit! Beaten by John Snow!

Doug McCrae

Legend
It's not a huge change from 3e as low level PCs either didn't have enough money to pay the 5500gp required for raise dead or would be unwilling to use up so many resources. Likewise for high level 3e characters death was also a speedbump as they could easily afford true resurrection.

A'koss

Explorer
JohnSnow said:
Death Matters Differently: It's generally harder to die than in previous editions, particularly at low level. When a heroic-tier player character dies, the player creates a new character. A paragon PC can come back from the dead at a significant cost. For epic-tier characters, death is a speed bump. Being raised from the dead is available only to heroes, and it's more than just a spell and a financial transaction. NPCs, both good and evil, don't normally come back to life unless the DM has a good reason.

I think that sums up the 4E philosophy of death nicely.
One of the biggest things I'd hoped for in 4e is that they would make it harder to die, but much harder to come back (if at all). I think they hit just the right note on the heroic and paragon tiers, but anytime I hear that death is treated as a "speed bump", at any level, I start to wince.

Death should not be a speed bump, it takes away something from the game if you're effectively immortal and can just hit the restart button and carry on. I hope there are effective (and not too esoteric) ways to keep people dead - PCs and NPCs alike.

kennew142

First Post
I was more excited about the new philosophy on resurrection in 4e than just about anything else. Not only is death more permanent at the heroic tier, but resurrection is no longer just a spell and a financial transaction. It will be harder for characters to die, but death will be more meaningful. If the rules no longer assume that characters will be constantly dying and coming back (I got better!), I will be a happy little camper - and I hate camping!

The second concept change that got me excited was that gods are now more distant, not involved in the PCs lives in such a direct fashion as was assumed in 3e.

Basically, everything on ppg 13-14 on Worlds and Monsters is all good IMO.

Reynard

Legend
Doug McCrae said:
It's not a huge change from 3e as low level PCs either didn't have enough money to pay the 5500gp required for raise dead or would be unwilling to use up so many resources. Likewise for high level 3e characters death was also a speedbump as they could easily afford true resurrection.

On the high end you are right, but if on the low end there's an actual rules oriented prohibition, that's quite a different thing.

Lanefan

Victoria Rules
kennew142 said:
The second concept change that got me excited was that gods are now more distant, not involved in the PCs lives in such a direct fashion as was assumed in 3e.
This one doesn't excite me in the least...I like the idea of gods interfering in peoples' lives a la Xena-Hercules. But, trivially easy to play either way if so desired.

I also disagree with the statement in W+M that NPC's good or evil don't come back to life unless the DM has a good reason. I say they should come back to life if it makes sense in character that they would do so...in other words, if the opportunity, wealth, and time allows and the desire to come back is there, then back they come. Again, trivially easy to do one's own thing here.

Lanefan

Remove ads