What Classes/Roles Are Revealed So Far?

Sol.Dragonheart

First Post
I'm aware of:

Defender: Paladin, Fighter, Swordmage
Leader: Cleric, Warlord
Striker: Ranger, Rogue, Warlock
Controller: Wizard

Curious if any other classes have been revealed to fill a particular role, especially Controller, as only the Wizard currently fills what WoTC has termed an essential party role.

Vayden

First Post
Bard is pretty much confirmed as an arcane leader. Everything else is conjecture at this point, as far as I'm aware.

Vayden

First Post
And Bard will not be in the first PHB (ditto Swordmage).

Speculation:
The new FR article explicitly mentions Primal as a power source - I'm guessing Barbarian, Druid, and Sorceror, probably as Defender, Leader, Controller, but who knows for sure?

Sol.Dragonheart

First Post
I see. I had read a few pieces of information on the Druid and Barbarian in the 4E page here, and was wondering if they had been classified as of yet, as well. I assume another class will be present in the initial PHB to allow for more than the Wizard in the Controller role, however, we will see.

Nymrohd

First Post
Strikers always had more class options than other roles. It is simply easier to create a striker concept than any other role.

Commonblade

First Post
PHB1: Confirmed

Defender: Paladin (Divine), Fighter (Martial)
Leader: Cleric (Divine), Warlord (Martial)
Striker: Ranger(Divine or Martial), Rogue (Martial), Warlock (Arcane)
Controller: Wizard (Arcane)

Other Books or DDI...
Rumored
Defender: Swordmage (Arcane)
Leader: Bard (Arcane)
Striker: Monk (?)
Controller:

Here are others that I think are coming.
Defender: Samurai (ki), Barbarian (Primal), Psychic Warrior (Psi), Hexblade (Shadow)
Leader: Druid (Primal), Necromacer (Shadow), Divine Mind (Psi)
Striker: Ninja (ki), SoulKnife (Psi), Shadow Dancer(Shadow)
Controller:Geomancer (Primal), Psion (Psi), Illusionist (Shadow)

Sol.Dragonheart

First Post
Interesting. I am curious if the Druid will, in fact, be a Leader, as it it was mentioned that they focus far more on their shapeshifting abilities than their spellcasting now. Could be a Striker, Defender, or Leader, really, depending on how the abilities affect the rest of the party/enemies.

drothgery

First Post
Sol.Dragonheart said:
Interesting. I am curious if the Druid will, in fact, be a Leader, as it it was mentioned that they focus far more on their shapeshifting abilities than their spellcasting now. Could be a Striker, Defender, or Leader, really, depending on how the abilities affect the rest of the party/enemies.

I'm pretty sure they also mentioned a druid would be a leader either explicitly or implicitly by saying they can heal and can sub for a cleric, and that the barbarian:druid relationship is analagous to paladin:cleric.

whydirt

First Post
Keep in mind that the roles are not completely rigid. Every class will likely have powers that "bleed" over into other roles. The key is that every class should always be able to perform their base role - anything else is gravy.

TerraDave

5ever, or until 2024
While making a big deal about roles...they have said some later classes may not fit exactly. And we have a little overlap already, e.g. Paladin is a defender, but is also charismatic with some buffing, ie leader type traits.

Remove ads