How will 4th affect your char?

DireWereTeddy

First Post
4e

While I can't say I completely understand the reasons for the release of a new edition (besides the obvious make-more-money excuse), I am looking forward to the new edition from a mechanical perspective. Their changes, or lack of support, for established settings really has no effect on me since I don't use any of them. That said, I'm using it as an opportunity to refresh my existing settings and so at this point I am fully planning on converting my characters, even if it means writing up my own material for them.

And my final comment on the matter is that at least Wizards didn't pull a BL Publishing on us. And prolly won't. They sell out the initial launch of the WH40K RPG and a few days later announce that come September they won't be releasing anymore role-playing products, so they can focus on novels. Which seems to me like they're saying that they make so much money from the novels they don't care about the roleplaying games anymore. *sighs* Sorry about the rant. Had to get that off my chest.

Magi_Siani

First Post
*resists urge and fails* Okay, BL and their Dark Heresy bit annoyed me beyond belief.

As you say, Wizards hasn't gone that route. Whether they kill or change the settings doesn't really affect me either, as I long since began using Greyhawk as 'My Greyhawk Campaign' as it were, something Wizards' actions can't affect.

I'll read the new stuff as it comes out; I have every edition since the game was invented so it is hard for me not to at least read the stuff. LOL I haven't any plans to actually purchase it though.

Siani

Khaira

First Post
Draggy said:
You are officially my hero! I can die happily now :lol: *munches cookies* ^_^

Now, Draggy ... if you die, how are you going to enjoy the unchanged-from-4e Sigil rooms?

Oh, I get it ... you're going to be our resident ISRP Spirit, aren't you? ;)

On a more serious note:
I have no intention to convert to 4th edition, either on ISRP or in any of my tabletop games. I've read some of what 4e will bring and, while some aspects sound mildly intriguing (although, the disturbing aspects more or less cancel the intriguing aspects out altogether...), I don't much see the point of learning a new system - even a NEW and REVISED system - since ISRP is more or less diceless anyway.

And even if I were converting to 4e, it wouldn't make much of a difference, since life recently has dictated ISRP ventures to be a rarity, anyway.
(Hush, cheer silently for the lack of insane Khaira. ;) )

Draggy

First Post
Well the plan was to actually forego the dying bit for the moment, but you know what? That Spirit gig sounds pretty cushy compared to my job right now... *considers* ;)

DireWereTeddy

First Post
Theoretically, a poltergeist should be able to type without any difficulties. And they're pretty well suited to using the internet, it's the only place they could have meaningful communication with others.

Cashmere

First Post
I know the 'official' ruling is that 3.5 and 4.0 won't be compatible on any level it's just better to re-roll characters but I have a feeling if the two use numbers there will be conversion tables... just depends on how complex it's going to be... if they're not officially releasing a table I shudder because the ones going from 'advanced' to 3.0 were confusing enough! though a part of me looks forward to number crunching hardcore to make an appropriate stat changeover just to show them how easy it would be just to make an upgrade to 3.5 to 4.0 rather than... y'know... changing the whole game around

Tharivious

First Post
Cashmere said:
I have a feeling if the two use numbers there will be conversion tables... just depends on how complex it's going to be... if they're not officially releasing a table I shudder because the ones going from 'advanced' to 3.0 were confusing enough!
There won't be tables. They've stated in several ways that conversions will have to be abstract, since so many classes were "killed" and other classes "took their stuff". That's the 4E motto: Kill it and take its stuff.

That, and several of the core PhB classes won't be released until 4E PhB2 in 2009 (druid, bard, ranger, and barbarian are confirmed for this delayed release, I believe), only eight classes are coming in the initial launch, and two of them are completely new (warlock and "warlord"), leaving five 3E PhB classes in the wind (and however many add-ons waiting to be converted). Heck, gnomes won't even be in the first PhB (they're due out with player stats in the Monster Manual, of all places), and playable Drow will have to wait for 4E Forgotten Realms Campaign Setting to have their player stats outlined.

But skills will be simpler to add up, since they've turned to a half-level (plus 5 for "trained" skills). And everything uses the same base attack and save progression tables, modified by class abilities (again, half-level as a base). Oh, and there will be feats that grant access to other class abilities. And pit fiends aren't solo monsters, but they've been drastically reduced in number, so the bad guys are quantifiable. And 30th level characters are intended to be capable of ascension, by the books.

... why is my eyebrow starting to twitch writing that?

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Upcoming Releases