Re-recruiting: E6/Oriental game

mfrench

First Post
Due to players dropping and poor communication, we're down to 2 active PCs in the Oriental game I'm running. The players have asked that we re-open recruiting to see if there's interest.

I would prefer that prospective PCs choose from the pool of NPCs already present, which I'll list below, but feel free to add someone new to the mix.

NPCs / missing PCs:
* Two shifter hunters
* a water Shugenja
* an enigmatic korobokuru woodsman
* a young scribe, potentially a caster or rogue
* a young official, could be a swordsman
* a common man, potentially with fighting skills
* an old mage who has lost most of his powers (I'm still hoping this player will return)

Tyreus

First Post
I would love to play an E6 game, but I would prefer to create my own character concept. I understand if you want one of the existing characters to be played though.

mfrench

First Post
If it fits an oriental theme, and you can get it together this week, let me hear some concepts and we can still get one introduced.

Lorthanoth

Explorer
I am here!

I love Old Chen so much, but time is the real hassle at the moment - I hope I can get my PC to my new house soon.

Count me in, please!

mfrench

First Post
Great! It is good to hear from you. Chen is most certainly still yours. Sorry that you have that time crunch, I know how that can be. Just glad to know that you're still here.

Arkhandus

First Post
Eh, I dunno, but it's possible I may be interested. I just don't care for E6, and I don't know what all's involved in it since I only glanced at it early on. Otherwise I love OA games.

Is the game 3.0 or 3.5?

mfrench

First Post
It's a 3.5 game based on an oriental style culture set in a Wild West style desert area. The IC thread has set the tone already without a whole lot of action. There is no centralized government, so each town has it's own Houses ruling it that dispense justice according to their tastes. Some people/organizations cling to the ideals of their ancestors, some are just blatantly oppourtunistic.

At this point the group consists of a ninja from a broken House, an old wandering mage, and an arabic swordsman from the desert peoples who seeks vengeance on the evil spirit that destroyed his clan. Traditional party balance calls for a divine caster; oriental tropes would call for a shaman type or an elementalist shugenja. A water shugenja is already present if you are interested in playing him. The best plan is probably for you to submit the PC that you want to play, and we'll find a way to make him fit.

There are some house rules involved, but they shouldn't make or break your PC concept. Specifically, there is a bonus to AC based on BAB/Ref save, which makes armor less important.

Arkhandus

First Post
Well, I looked through some of the other threads, and found the water shugenja you mentioned. bento's "Otaru Shenga", a river spiritfolk.... I guess I can take over that character, and just tweak a few stats. I don't know much about the character yet besides the charsheet I found in the old recruiting thread, so far. For now, here's a repost of Otaru's sheet with my few tweaks.

However, I'll need to ask for info from Complete Divine regarding the shugenja's changed spell list and the Order of Gentle Rain or whatever, which from what I can guess is the renamed Kitsu school from Oriental Adventures.

And I really, really don't understand how Otaru's supposed to fit into the setting or whatever.......is he allowed to use a wakizashi? Is he part of some noble House or something, or part of the Oathblades, or something else?

Otaru Shenga, revised
[sblock]Male Spirit Folk (River) Shg2; CR 2
Medium Humanoid (Spirit)
Languages (Literate): Celestial, Common, Spirit Tongue

HD 2d6+4; hp 14
Reserve 14, Defense +1
Conviction 6, Death Flag down

Init +3; Spd 30 ft/x4; Swim 30 ft.
AC 17 (+3 dex, +3 armor, +1 dodge), touch 14, flat-footed 13
Base Atk/Grapple +1/+1
Full Atk +2 MW Wakizashi (1d6;19-20/x2), +4 Sling (1d4;20/x2)

SA & SQ: Element Focus (Spell Focus - Water), Sense Elements (Sp, 3/day); Low-Light Vision, Water Breathing, Natural Swimmer, +2 Saves vs. Water-type spells, Speak with Animals (Sp, fish only, 1/day)

AL NG
Saves Fort +2, Ref +3, Will +4
Abilities: Str 10(+0), Dex 16(+3), Con 14(+2), Int 10(+0), Wis 12(+1), Cha 15(+2)

Skills: Concentration +6, Diplomacy +5, Heal +5/+7, Knowledge (nature) +2, Knowledge (religion) +3, Profession (fisher) +2, Speak Language (Celestial) 1, Spellcraft +1

Feats: Improved Unarmed Strike, Armor Proficiency (Light)

Equipment: Masterwork Wakizashi (3 lbs.), Sling, 10 Sling Bullets (5 lbs.), Masterwork Leather Scale Armor (+3 AC, +6 Max Dex, -1 ACP, 15% ASF, Spd 30, 20 lbs.), Traveler's Outfit (worn), Everburning Torch (1 lb.), Ofuda (3 lbs.), Spell Component Pouch (3 lbs.), Scroll Case (1/2 lb.), Divine Scroll of Remove Fear (1st-level caster), Family Identification Scroll, Healer's Kit (1 lb.), 20 Fish Hooks, Bedroll (5 lbs.), Furoshiki Sack (2 lbs.), Flint & Steel, Tea Leaves (1 lb.), Iron Pot (2 lbs.), 6 Trail Rations (6 lbs.), 2 Waterskins (8 lbs.), 2 Potions of Cure Light Wounds (1st-level caster), Silversheen Vial (1 hour), 26 gp, 9 sp, 10 cp

Load: Medium (61-1/2 lbs.)
Light 33, Medium 66, Heavy 100

Shugenja School: Order of the Gentle Rain (Water)
Spell Save +2 (+3 for Water element)
Caster Level 2
Spells Per Day 6/4+1

0 Level: All Elements --- Detect Magic, Read Magic, Water Element --- Create Water, Detect Poison, Purify Food & Drink, Cure Minor Wounds*
1st Level: Earth Element --- Magic Weapon, Water Element --- Bless, Cure Light Wounds*

* From the Order's list

Code of the Gentle Rain Shugenja:
Respect life and the spirits who provide it, especially the water of life.
Take no life, except to preserve lives and prevent suffering.
Help the dead rest peacefully, and return the undead to rest.
Seek to protect life, restore health, and prevent suffering.
Never fight except to protect life, pacify undead, or prevent plagues.
Water is the source of life, so preserve water and its purity.[/sblock]

Last edited:

Remove ads