Chew on this.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Shasf

First Post
Undying Redeemer said:
Don't fret, darlings, for I won't reply to this thread. But I will be watching.

Should I quote your reply to this thread?

Now sit back and enjoy the show in progress.

I could be back with more for this thread.

Tharivious

First Post
Undying Redeemer said:
Ah, it seems.. things the Magi have brought about are going out of control..

What to do... When the rules you set in place are no longer followed and you must lock down... everyone for a mistake you made.
One, the recent clarifications were brought about because of a single incident that got blown out of proportion by people butting in that had no reason to. I know, because they were pasted to me off-site by one of the players involved. When a situation snowballs like that, it has to be attended to somehow; in this case, a public clarification. It's called moderating a website.

Two, I'll remind you that the rules set in place in the transition from Wizards to EnWorld were decided upon by the players on an open forum, in a situation that brought the Rotunda and the Great Bazaar, and therefore the two most in-demand settings, to the chat to begin with. If you didn't take part in those discussions, it can either be assumed that you were: a) not that interested; b) not that motivated; or c) ignorant of the Wizards forums, because the link to the discussion was there in the open. The players made this site what it is now, not the friends of the few, not the yes-men and sycophants, but the players.

I foresee something ladies and gentlemen.. Something none of the players here... want to see.

A falling out.. the fading away of this oh so highly tainted RP site... Maybe for good... Maybe for bad.
Doomsaying always brings good results, doesn't it? Melodramatic people have been predicting a downfall for years now, and the site is still standing. Says something about ISRP's staying power, don't you think?

Maybe.. we should all go else where to RP? Because.. for what I see, things are not good in the Moderation side of this site.
Not the first time someone has suggested it. Hell, I grew up with and still play D&D tabletop with the guys that started Dykal because of their opinion on the matter. There are alternatives, but ISRP retains a loyal following at least in part because of the moderation staff and limitations. Says something about ISRP's staying power, doesn't it?

Take a close look at those who run this site. Tell me, what do you see? Opinions... opinions...
You want opinions? Here's one: I see several people that I've known, watched, and interacted with for years that know what they're doing and were, with one exception (if I remember right, the end-days were kind of hazy) were staffers back at Wizards.

I see.. tyranny..
Your opinion. That doesn't make it fact.

I see.. that there is no fun in having a character whom can't be who you want them to be.. because quote: "Characters never trump CoC.. ever."

How... sad.
That is sad. It's sad that where you see limitations, I see a chance to explore other rooms. It's sad that where you see lack of freedom, I see opportunity to apply consistent in-world logic as to why the characters we play are able to interact in the middle of civilization. It's sad that you see what could be roleplaying hooks as something to rebelled against for the sake of doing what you want.

[strawman=oppression]
Open your eyes fellow RPers and think. Will you stand by an be held on a leash, kept from that which you think could be fun. Or would you go elsewhere, move in a pack to another place where no rules like these here render your character so.. bland.
[/strawman]
If you can't make an interesting character under the guidelines allowed, I posit the possibility that you aren't thinking hard enough. You know, since the Sigil rooms allow for any kind of character.

I could easily pull out more.. but.. I am curious as to what this might bring up.. <snip> Preached to, chewed up and spit out via numerous replies?
Does this count as preached to, chewed up, and spit out?

Xen_Tiras

First Post
I've been around since the Wizards days, on and off, and I only rarely say anything on the forums, but I figured I should say something here.

What exactly is it that you guys want? I mean, in all my years of RPing on the old Wizards chat and here at EnWorld, I've never had a problem with a Wizo or a Magi, the rules, or any other players. I've done and seen some crazy things, all of which were allowed under the CoC, and had a good time while I was at it. I don't see why the CoC trumping characters is a big deal. Firstly because the CoC should be taken into account when making a character, and secondly because it still gives you a great deal of freedom to work with. I don't think there's anything wrong with the system as it already is. I guess there are some ways that it could be better, but I'll let people who actually have suggestions argue about that.

So I'm not exactly sure what it is we need to change. The moderation style is good, the CoC lets you create any kind of character you want, so long as it you bring them into the right room. The players are pretty much a friendly bunch. What's the problem?

After about four years here, I'm still coming back because of the community we have and the fun that I have playing on here. I'll continue to come back, too. But that's just me.

cameroth

First Post
apparently you must not be paying attention then to the rooms that usually get occupied..9 times out of 10 everyone sticks to the CRT. Which usually puts out making a character for just a certain room viable when most other rooms dont get occupied that often..i have noticed more use of the Cage, though it still doesnt compare to the CRT. why would anyone make a character for a different room that has little to no traffic..i mean seriously, that makes no sense..anyways...the rules are there and for us to like them or not and to voice our opinions about them as well. Now as far as rules being set for the players by the players, i for one will admit that i somehow missed that opportunity whether it was by pure bad luck..not checking the site enough or being deployed to iraq, it doesnt matter...but i will still voice my opinions about the site regardless...and as far as this site goes, they are just that opinions that may one day, if at all, have some affect eventually..i hope..thank you

Willow_Calypso said:
Why is it so hard to grasp the concept that you can have these stranger epic characters battle it out? Just do it in the room created for those battles. Real hard.

Why is it so hard to grasp the concept of anyone's opinions or ideas? Surely you'd be able to grasp that a large population of the site are annoyed with the site or want to see something happen. Personally, I've always disagreed with some of the rules. But yes, I think that rules are a good thing. I just wish that they were somewhat changed. But we can't all get what we want, and that includes the Moderators.

And in reply to Xen_Tiras: That's the problem. The right room. Most of the time any creative character/creature idea you have will never be role-played with because most of the rooms tend to be...wait for it...

EMPTY!

Willow_Calypso

First Post
John a.k.a Sir D said:
Why is it so hard to grasp the concept of anyone's opinions or ideas? Surely you'd be able to grasp that a large population of the site are annoyed with the site or want to see something happen. Personally, I've always disagreed with some of the rules. But yes, I think that rules are a good thing. I just wish that they were somewhat changed. But we can't all get what we want, and that includes the Moderators.

And in reply to Xen_Tiras: That's the problem. The right room. Most of the time any creative character/creature idea you have will never be role-played with because most of the rooms tend to be...wait for it...

EMPTY!

If the majority of the site didn't like the rules then the rooms with the 'cruddy' rules wouldn't be the rooms that aren't empty. No, they're filled with people who either like the rules or at least abide by the rules, because they want to play.

cameroth

First Post
you missed the whole point willow...we are saying that the CRT is the only room that is ever filled..making a character for the bazaar only or the rotunda only is pointless and ridiculous because no one hardly ever goes to these rooms unless you are one of the *adept* groups i've seen around....why have a character no one is going to rp with..

Bari

First Post
I've been on many times at the Rotunda and it's been quite full, and I don't play no Adept. You don't go 'cause it's empty? So do the others. So why don't you go and stay a while? You can just play with another char at the CRT at the same time. You'll see sooner or later people will start Rotunda-ing. So is with Sigil.

Magi_Gabriel

Foppish Technocrat
cameroth said:
you missed the whole point willow...we are saying that the CRT is the only room that is ever filled..making a character for the bazaar only or the rotunda only is pointless and ridiculous because no one hardly ever goes to these rooms unless you are one of the *adept* groups i've seen around....why have a character no one is going to rp with..

I've seen nights where both those rooms are full in favour of CRT, have you considered perhaps the attitude of "why try" creates a self fulfilling prophecy?

Tharivious

First Post
cameroth said:
apparently you must not be paying attention then to the rooms that usually get occupied..9 times out of 10 everyone sticks to the CRT. Which usually puts out making a character for just a certain room viable when most other rooms dont get occupied that often..i have noticed more use of the Cage, though it still doesnt compare to the CRT. why would anyone make a character for a different room that has little to no traffic..i mean seriously, that makes no sense.
John a.k.a. Sir D said:
That's the problem. The right room. Most of the time any creative character/creature idea you have will never be role-played with because most of the rooms tend to be...wait for it...

EMPTY!
Sheepism and herd-tendencies do not invalidate a rules system. Yes, it is natural to go along with the crowd. However, doing what everyone else is doing, strictly to not be off somewhere alone, accomplishes nothing. It's more of the complaints-without-constructive-suggestions that I've talked at length about in the last, what, three complaint threads posted?

Just because the CRT sees the most traffic doesn't mean it's the only option. If we all thought that way, there would be one room, no combat rooms, and everyone would sit there playing tag by following alphabetical order. But we have other rooms. We have other options. It just takes someone to actually wake up and use them instead of whinging about no one using them. If a room with more freedom is empty, do something about it and actually, I dunno, use the room; don't just type on the boards how empty the room is.

cameroth said:
Now as far as rules being set for the players by the players, i for one will admit that i somehow missed that opportunity whether it was by pure bad luck..not checking the site enough or being deployed to iraq, it doesnt matter...but i will still voice my opinions about the site regardless.
There was, if I remember right, one or two voices of dissent regarding the update to the CRT at the time. The overwhelming majority agreed with Siani's vision, as long as the caveat remained for more open settings to be built in place of the Emporium. The majority won, as it should win in any open-polling scenario. And truthfully? I'd wager that if the same polls were raised today, the result would be the same.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Recent & Upcoming Releases