The Wayfinders - Expedition to Tempest Isle

jkason

First Post
Midian Rightson, human druid

As the large undead monstrosity falls back below the water, Midian's reptilian flesh melts and shifts until he's once again in his human form. He looks about the deck at the wreckage and the bodies, then to his companions.

"Well, that was certainly exciting. Not sure I'll be able to stomach shellfish for quite some time. Shall we finish scuttling this thing and get home?" he asks with forced levity. The clouds rumble again, as if commenting on their own readiness to let loose more destruction.

[sblock=actions]Wild shape back to human, heal level (7) points.[/sblock]

[sblock=resources]HP 47/53
Bolts called (max 7): 2
Wild shape remaining: 2/3

Spells: Magical Feats: Spell Focus (Conj), Augment Summoning, Natural Spell

Orisons (6, DC 14): Mending, Flare x2, Resistance, Guidance, Create Water
1st level (4+1, DC 15): Magic Fang, Faerie Fire, Longstrider, Sandblast, Obscuring Mist
2nd level (3+1, DC 16): Barkskin x2, Cloudburst, Body of the Sun
3rd level (2+1, DC 17): Call Lightning*, Nature's Favor, Wind Wall
4th level (1+1, DC 18): Ice Storm, Dispel Magic

* attuned to empowered spell shard
** Eberron shard can recall evocation spells up to 4th level 2x/day (used 1x)[/sblock]

Deuce Traveler

Adventurer
"Was that really the last of the enemy or are we missing some beast? Perhaps some of us should be on the look out while the rest loot for valuables. Once done, then I do agree we should scuttle the ship and leave." Doral nods in agreement with Midian before putting on his goggles, casting detect magic, and making a quick search of the nearby bodies and cabin.

Last edited:

Shayuri

First Post
"They only ever mentioned one beast," Whisper murmurs, "But there's still that group that was sent to ambush us...unless this was it."

She shakes her head. "They must have records on board...they'd have tried to salvage as much of the operation as they could. We need to search the ship, and quickly before it takes on too much water. Documents will be proof...and may reveal other operations elsewhere."

Walking Dad

First Post
AC 21 (T13, FF18), HP 38/60, F +5,R+5,W+5
Eldritch blast: +7/+8, 4d6 damage
Short Sword +1, Icy +8, 1d6+3+1d6 ice on command

Glaive focuses his concentration inwards, letting his cursed flesh knit itself.

[sblock=ooc]

use Devil's Stamina feat. Regain 15 HP through the next 5 rds.

Glaive

active invocations: See the Unseen, Entropic Warding, DR 2 / cold iron
at-will: Blast, Glaive (+1d6 acid with shard focus), Detect Magic, Teleport, Shatter
Devil's Favor: 3/3 (+2 bonus on attack, save, or check)
Devil's Stamina: 0/1 (fast healing 3 for 5 rounds)
Bracers of Entangling the Blast: 2/3
Gloves_of_Eldritch_Admixture: 3/3
Healing_Belt: 3/3
Wand (lesser vigor): 37/50
[/sblock]

jkason

First Post

Midian nods at the suggestions to do a quick search. He sets Garuk to stay above and yowl if he spots trouble, then joins the others in making as quick a survey of the ship as they can.

OOC: Giving Garuk the Guard command. Midian doesn't have Search, but he does have a +11 to his spot if that helps...

SelcSilverhand

First Post
OOC:
I sent my flash drive through the washing machine.. again. It didn't survive this time. I'll get a loot update and wrap up the return to the ship here shortly, I'll have to wait till I'm at home and can get to my backup. Start thinking about updating to pathfinder characters, 8th level! After the wrap up we'll work out any rules questions about converting characters.

Shayuri

First Post
(OOC - Whisper would like to interrogate them to see if they have any knowledge of other cult activities, as well as for more details about what was being attempted here. Oh, and if there were any other ways off the island.)

SelcSilverhand

First Post
The group splits up to begin searching the ship. Doral checks over the bodies on the upper deck and finds at least three pirates still alive. Glaive sets about securing them with ropes and moving them back to the longboat. Midian finds an elevated position to look around the ship. The waters around it are now teeming with reef sharks drawn by the scent of blood in the water. The bulk of the giant crab is still visible off the starboard side. Doral searches the upper deck and sets aside a number of weapons, rings, trinkets, and other valuables from the bodies of the crewmen. He heads below with Kraken to make sure there are no more surprises waiting below. Being familiar with the basic layout of ships, Kraken leads the way to the captains quarters. The door to it and a side room for guests stand open. Searching both rooms reveals numerous documents, charts, maps, and ledgers no doubt containing plenty of useful information. Everything is quickly snapped up along with the footlockers from both rooms. Nearby is a heavily chained door made of stout wood. Krakens sword is ill suited to chopping through the thick material but a quick search of the captains body comes up with a heavy iron key that fits the lock. There are several clicks when the key is turned as various spring loaded traps have their safeties set. Once inside the room you can see why it was so heavily protected. Three darkwood chests sit chained to the floor. Prying open the first one reveals a massive collection of gold jewelry, gems, and goblets. The second chest is piled high with coins. The last chest contains the finest silks and delicate looking statues.
Working quickly, the group moves the chests, looted goods, and the three unconscious pirates to the longboat. A search of the lower levels is attempted but the rapidly rising water causes issues. Recognizing the danger, Kraken urges you all to leave immediately before you're pulled under along with the ship. Shortly after you depart, the ship settles on the bottom of the harbor more or less upright. Only its masts protrude from the water.

The return to your own ship is uneventful though Midian had to drive off some of the larger sharks that approached your boat. The crew cheers at your return and eagerly press you for word on the attack. The three pirates are taken below and chained up to await your questioning. Your chests are moved to your rooms for now, though the captain offers use of his armory for storing the weapons as only himself, the first officer, and the quartermaster has access to it. You take some time to relax, have a meal, and tend to your wounds before going to revive the prisoners. They spit at you, call you cowards, and demand you face them one on one. All three of them are heavily muscled, scarred, and tattooed. You try to talk them into giving you what you want as peacefully as you can, but it takes a few cuffs to the side of the head and threats of keelhauling them before they start to talk. They tell you that a group of captains had been hired by a group calling themselves the Servents of Flame and Shadow. The work had been easy, mostly ferrying supplies to the island, building the docks, hauling gear inland, and sinking any ships that tried to make landfall nearby. The cultists worked with the undead. They used them heavily for guarding the work parties and supply trains. The pirates knew that they were taking slaves to some mine but that is the extent of their knowledge of their activities. A day ago the survivors of your attack reached the ship and they were preparing to leave the island when you attacked again. The only cultist who survived was Ucarin, the one who controlled the Horror of the Black Depths. His master was Kresh, a singularly evil man who had removed his own face to graft the skull of a fearsome beast. All of the pirates feared him due to his tendancy to kill any of the lower ranked men who angered him and reanimating them for his use.
The documents you took tell you more about their operations but leave a lot of questions unanswered. The captain kept a detailed log of where the ship went, sightings of other ships, attacks, damage taken, and supplies used. From what you can tell they would regularly make trips to other populated islands to pick up supplies. Sometimes these were goods and sometimes they were slaves. You can't determine a base of operations from these details, it looks like the cultists used agents in multiple cities to get what they needed. There is only a little information in Ucarin's cabin, only a single letter written by Kresh to him. It details why the mine site was so important to them. According to him, the island was once a terrible battlefield long ago. Dragons fought demons against the backdrop of an active volcano. One of the mightiest dragons fought an army of demons on the slopes there. When the volcano erupted it covered dragons and demons alike, burying them beneath tons of ash and stone. Many of the demons became trapped, but still alive in a sense. Unable to move their bodies, they sent their essence questing outwards to find an escape or creature to possess. Nearly all of them were drawn to the Khyber shards like metal filings are drawn to the magnet. Once there their essence was trapped and the bodies died. The crystals don't show any outward signs of contamination of demonic spirits. However when a crafter attempted to bind a spirit to the shard they discovered that something was already present in the crystals. A skilled artificer can construct a means of tapping into the demons power to use it for their own end. However if the shard is damaged the essence is released and can attempt to possess a new host. Kresh spoke of massive crystal deposits that contain the entombed essences of "demonic generals whose powers are like that of a god". His plan was to use those essences to reanimate the body of the great dragon. It would be an abomination to the scaley kind. With the strength of the great wyrm, the benefits and immunities of undeath, and all the powers of a demon lord it would be unstoppable. Nearly so, as it turned out. You cannot imagine the kind of destruction it might have caused if it hadn't still been mostly entombed in the stone.

The rest of the trip back to Cliffscrape is calm. The wind remains fair and you are able to make good time. Upon your return Creidan, the House Tharask local manager, meets you at the docks to greet you and invite you back to hear your tales. Johan and Seria bid you farewell, having decided to go their seperate ways. Johan heads north, chasing rumors of an order of paladins bringing relief to some villages that had been raided. Seria catches a caravan headed for the city of Sharn, via the long road.

jkason

First Post

Midian found himself brooding on the voyage back, often on deck watching the waves as if there was some secret within them that he alone might discover. Garuk tended to stay close to the druid, unnerved by the ship and the absence of any visible land, an agitation which grew as the party entered civilization, where there was land, but no trees.

Eventually, when their report is made and Johan and Seria express their desires, Midian wishes his departing school friends a good journey, and then realizes there is one more goodbye he must make. He wanders outside of town, to the closest forested area, Garuk loping along behind him.

"You have been a fierce and loyal companion, Garuk, and I suspect I would not have survived on more than one occasion but for your strength.

"But you were also at great risk yourself, and suffered many grievous wounds aiding me. You were lucky; the seaborne companion I called while journeying to the island was not. And unlike the creatures I can summon through temporary means, your death would be a true one.

"You must go, my friend. I probably should have left you on the island, but even without the cult I could not bring myself to leave you in the proximity of those demon-shards. There are more men here, but the forests here should be safer, I think."

The ape listens attentively. Even if it cannot fully understand the language, it seems to recognize the meaning. Midian lays his hand on the large ape's shoulder and reaches out with his mind, unraveling the soul-bond he had fashioned when he called Garuk.

Garuk shakes his head and backs away several steps, as if suddenly confused. He looks around at the sun filtering through the trees, takes a tentative taste of a nearby bug, and seems almost oblivious to Midian. Then, he turns and bows before the druid, and the young man smiles as the ape lopes off into the wilderness.

He wanders back to the docks, looking out across the waves as he did on the journey home. Home. With all their traveling, the sea almost seems as much a home to him as the land. He can't bring himself to call another animal to serve him, but Midian feels it now, the unraveled threads of his animal bond beginning to knit to another source of aid...

OOC: A bunch of fluff to cover the fact that PF Midian will have the domain nature bond. Since we already have a tempest cleric, I think Oceans might be an interesting choice...

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Upcoming Releases