The Wayfinders - Expedition to Tempest Isle

jkason

First Post
((OOC: I'm thinking that if the camp has any dogs (and most seem to, whether of the guard or stray variety), Midian could take a similar shape. If he casts Hide from Animals (dog) beforehand, he needn't worry about the camp's native dogs giving him any trouble and calling attention to him as an outsider. I just had Midian take Natural Spell as his 6th level feat, so he could wait to cast the Hide spell until he's just outside the camp, which would give him a full hour to explore before he might be spotted by any canines.

Thoughts?))

Dr Simon

Explorer
[SBLOCK=OOC]
Kraken can advise Midian on any local fauna that might be common enough to ignore. Survival +9 or Knowledge (nature) +2 (from synergy bonus).
[/SBLOCK]

Shayuri

First Post
[sblock]Whisper doesn't really know this IC, but Doral's a Beguiler. He can cast Invisibility Sphere and Zone of Silence, and we can all just walk right up to the camp as long as no one's got See Invisible running down there. :)[/sblock]

Last edited:

SelcSilverhand

First Post
Midian + Kraken
[SBLOCK]
The two of you hunker down on the ridge beneath a leafy bush to study the encampment. The sun is setting quickly, lengthening the shadows in the valley. Other than the humanoids, you see very few signs of animal life in the area. Midian spots the occasional hawk circling overhead. After scanning the area you also spot a lone buzzard perched on a dead tree very close to the edge of the camp. Later on you see a figure emerge from one of the tents dressed in tattered brown clothes. At the figures side is a massive boar, easily four hundred pounds and four foot tall at the shoulder. It follows the figure from the outer tents to the larger ones at the cliff face and they disappear from view. Just before the sun disappears entirely, you spot guards emerge from tents with four legged canines at their sides. They begin patrolling the outer edges of the camp.
[/SBLOCK]

Shayuri

First Post
Whisper crouches in the hiding place that had been chosen and watches as best she can at that distance. She wonders as she observes...would it be possible perhaps to take the place of one of those slaves... Perhaps approach it under cover of invisibility, and then stealthily swap one for her.

Of course, that would be potentially very unpleasant for her, not to mention dangerous.

Hmm.

Maybe there were guards she could mimic as well, though she couldn't see them well enough from here. Hopefully the report of their scouts would provide such news...

jkason

First Post
Midian Rightson, human druid

Midian's mouth twists as he thinks. "A boar form might be good in a fight, but that one seems to be alone, and probably conspicious. Dogs might be the best bet, though they all seem to be paired with a guard. Might be suspicious if I were wandering humanless.

"They haven't seen fit to chase off the carrion-eater, though. And I might get a decent overhead survey that way. I have a ritual that can hide me from the dogs' notice either way."

[sblock=OOC]Figured I'd stall a bit to see if Shayuri's OOC suggestion for Doral was what we preferred. If not, Midian'll take on buzzard form, then use Natural Spell to cast Hide From Animals (dogs), when he gets close enough that they might spot him.[/sblock]

Dr Simon

Explorer
"I'd go with the bird form, that way you can fly away if anything happens. The dogs'll likely smell you. And that was a bloody big boar. Midian mate, you've got the chant with animals, reckon you could make it friendly, or ignore us, or something?"

SelcSilverhand

First Post
Midian steps out from under the bushes and moves to the edge of the ridge. He closes his eyes and concentrates. You feel the air around you stir and watch with amazement as Midian undergoes his transformation. His body folds in on itself growing rapidly smaller. Feathers sprout from his arms, legs, and head. His face lengthens and hardens, becoming a yellow beak. In seconds the transformation is complete and a hunting bird stands before you. The bird calls twice before turning to the ridge and leaping off with its wings spread.

Midian
[SBLOCK]
Soaring over the world fills you with an exhilarating sensation unlike any you've experienced before. The full freedom of movement in any direction is new and exciting. It is with some difficulty after a few minutes of free flight that you bring yourself back to the task at hand. With your sharpened eyesight, you circle over the camp and observe the activity below. Immediately you notice several things amiss. The "dogs" you saw patrolling with the guards are not any canine you've ever seen before. They're not even alive.
The "dogs" are four legged skeletons with some leathery hide stretched over their grey bones. Their backs are covered with a stubble that reminds you of a porcupine, though most of the tips are broken off. The guards at least appear to be living. Every bit of exposed skin is heavily tattooed in red colors giving the impression that they are bleeding from numerous wounds.
You can see the layout of the entire camp from your altitude. You cannot see any pens for slaves, most likely they are kept below ground at night. At least 6 guards with their undead "dogs" move about the outside of the camp. It may be possible to slip past them if the group was stealthy enough, though you're sure the undead will have excellent night vision. You do see another possibility however; it seems that no guards regularly patrol the ridge above the camp. It may be possible to rappel down from there.
Night has fallen by the time you are read to return to your companions when activity in the camp draws your attention. A group four of humanoids have emerged one of the larger tents and are ringed by another four of the strange skeletal monstrosities you fought on the beach. The figure says something you cannot make out and points his hand towards the valley. The skeletons howl and depart at a run, soon disappearing into the dead forest. The four figures continue towards the cliff face and disappear under one of the tents.
As you swoop lower to try to get a better look you see movement out of the corner of your eye. The vulture perched on the dead tree in the camp is watching you. It is slowly spreading its massive wings revealing a gruesome sight. The creatures body is skeletal, its feathers somehow attached directly to bone. Two small, clawed arms attach at the chest and the head rises up from a too-long neck. It's body is large, but the skeletal nature allowed it to hunch lower and pull its wings in tight, disguising its true nature. It takes to the air with clumsy wing beats as it heads towards you. Luckily your superior maneuverability and speed allows you to lose it among the trees before you return to your companions.
[/SBLOCK]

jkason

First Post
Midian Rightson

When he's sure he's lost the undead vulture, Midian melts back into his human form. Though his body suddenly feels heavier, the boons of his training and natural magics insure none will be able to follow his trail to the others. Still, he moves cautiously until he catches sight of them.

"Looks like the fauna around here are in the same shape as the flora," the druid reports. "My hiding spell would have done none of us any good, since both those dogs and the vulture are nothing of the sort; they're more undead constructs, this time in the shape of animals. The vulture almost had me for a minute, point of fact.

"The only place that doesn't seem to have a regular patrol is the ridge above the camp. If we have the means, we might be able to repel down to get inside.

"One more thing, though,"
the druid says grimly. "Whoever's running that place also sent more of those large undead toward the valley."

[sblock=OOC]Whew. Hooray for druids being untrackable. :)

Also, did the people from the ship make camp in the valley when we left, or did they stay on the ship? Seeing as we were attacked, I'd think we'd warn them off coming ashore right away, but I honestly don't recall.[/sblock]

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Recent & Upcoming Releases