The Wayfinders - Expedition to Tempest Isle

Dr Simon

Explorer
Kraken grins a gap-toothed grin at Doral, as he carefully turns a bit of undead in his hands, studying it.

"Not *this* little black duck, I'm afraid, mate," he says. "This sort of thing is out of my area. The old shaman used to say that demons were things not of the Dreaming, so I don't know nothing from him. And the old bo'sun, he could spin a yarn or two but I don't reckon anything useful that'd help us.

"One thing I was thinking, though. When we first found these fellas, looked like they were collecting spare parts, eh? Maybe to make more of themselves. Maybe whoever's making these things - unless they're making themselves! - maybe they're making them better each time, eh?"

[sblock=ooc]
Fine with me to return to camp.
[/sblock]

Shayuri

First Post
"Mm. As a rule, demons can't summon other demons to Eberron," Whisper demurs. "At least not permanently. And I don't think they'd be interested in created an army on this world. Their wars are fought elsewhere."

"Still, we clearly have much left to learn. But first we need to make sure we will be able to leave this place when the time comes. Secure the ship, then return."

SelcSilverhand

First Post
The return trip to the shore goes much smoother than your trek inland. Midian seems to be more in tune with the land the more time he spends in it, allowing him to help you avoid the worst of the hazards. At nightfall Whisper puts on her monocle and examines the fragments taken from the jaws of the undead. She identifies them as functionally similar to Ioun stones. Examining the larger shards however reveals no results. The first evening passes without incident, though twice during the night those on watch heard distant cries similar to the sounds the undead made. The second day is grueling as you are forced to climb uphill through the jungle. Many times you are forced to stop while someone climbs up to secure safety lines to ascend the steeper sections. By the evening of the second day you have reached the rim of the crater and can look out over the slope to the beach. Carefully surveying the area with his spyglass, Dorel spots your ship anchored near the beach. He can see some of the camp but the rapidly approaching darkness hides any signs of life. The night is spent in torment about the state of the camp. With no fires lit during the night, you fear the worst.
At sunrise you finish your descent to the beach. As you approach the camp a sentry calls out and meets you on the path. The sight of one of the mercenaries is a reassuring one. He leads you into the camp shows you what has been done so far. Temporary shelters and tents stand in a circle around a large tent in the center. You can see a thin wisp of smoke rising from the largest tent and one of the wood and grass shelters. It seems they have hidden their cookfires quite well. A few sailors and mercenaries are up and working around the encampment. Most of the sailors are working in the largest shelter packing local fruits, salted fish, and fresh water into barrels.
The sentry leads you into the large tent in the center of the camp. Captain Irestone and the mercenary Rouark are there working at a makeshift table covered with parchments. It looks like they are working on some maps covered with symbols. They both look up as you enter, looking surprised to see you. The captain speaks up, "Well I didn't expect to see you returned so soon, I take it you've sorted out the pirates?"

Dr Simon

Explorer
Kraken strolls through the camp with the detached and confident air of someone with no respect for authority. He points to one of the fruits being stored.

"Don't eat those until all the skin's gone red," he says to one of the nearby men. "Unless you want to spend all day on the dunny, eh?"

Approaching the captain, he stands a little to the back of the group, hands behind his back.

"By 'pirates', do you mean seven foot deadfellas made of animal parts and controlled by demons bound into a magic rock?" he asks with cheeky grin.

jkason

First Post
Midian Rightson, human druid

"By 'pirates', do you mean seven foot deadfellas made of animal parts and controlled by demons bound into a magic rock?" he asks with cheeky grin.

Midian flinches slightly at Kraken's directness, but can't really fault it; best to get this done quickly.

"Whoever's taken to mining on this island is doing far more than we could have imagined. Kraken's not exaggerating, and the creatured manufactured through this process are lethal. We're not sure any camp on the island is going to be secure."

Shayuri

First Post
"They're building undead, using khyber shards bound to fiendish essences as power sources," Whisper says. "They're more intelligent, and more powerful, than normal undead by far. And with the abundance of khyber shards on this island, they could be building an army."

"We returned because they may be aware of you. They sent a group of four directly in your direction. In a few days, when they haven't heard back from them, it's likely they'll send more. Potentially a lot more. Unfortunately, we don't know enough yet to just leave. We still don't know who or what's behind this, or what they want."

"So. We need to work out our next steps."

Deuce Traveler

Adventurer
Before entering the tent, Doral takes a moment to survey the area around the camp with his spyglass. Can't be too careful.

DM
[sblock]
He will also take the time to cast detect thoughts. He'd like to observe how the captain and his staff take the news.
[/sblock]

Once the other companions finish talking, Doral adds "That encampment of theirs looks like a tough nut to break into. They have perimeter defenses, guard dogs, mining equipment and workers, along with their dead and living soldiers. In my opinion, a frontal assault on the place would end in disaster."

Walking Dad

First Post
AC 19 (T13, FF16), HP 46/46, F +5,R+5,W+5
Eldritch blast: +6/+7, 3d6 damage

Glaive just follows behind and thinks about possibilities to use the bound essence for himself.

[sblock=ooc]
Still think about an approciate ritual.
[/sblock]

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Recent & Upcoming Releases