The Wayfinders - Expedition to Tempest Isle

SelcSilverhand

First Post
The figure tilts its head slightly in acknowledgment of the greeting. It responds in a harsh, rasping voice. "Acolyte of shadow. Your message was received, you have done well. The interlopers will not interrupt our plans, not with the culmination of our work so close at hand. Kresh the Blighted One has sent us to scour them from our shores. He has seen fit to favor us with some of his greatest works." The figure stretches out its arms to either side and raises them towards the moons above. From the rocks around whisper come the sound of stones scattering and soft creaks. Several skeletal monstrosities rise from their crouched position in the shadows. Some look like small, swift canines, while others are upright humanoids. Jaws gape wide and claws scratch at rough stone as they rise up. The figure upon the rock lowers one arm and with the other it points towards the sea. "Already the Horror of the Black Depths is moving. It will close on their ship while we strike their encampment upon the shores. Tell me now of their defenses and what men of skill they bring with them. They have already struck close to our temple and destroyed a minor scouting force. I would know their names so that I might carve it upon their ruined flesh."

Dr Simon

Explorer
Kraken grinds his teeth, impatience with this abomination welling within him. Nevertheless, he stays still and silent for the moment. For the moment...

[SBLOCK=OOC]
How many of the skeletal thigns are there?
[/SBLOCK]

Shayuri

First Post
Whisper puts an awed, slack expression on Buriss' face as she looks on the massive skeletons, and uses the few moments to think furiously for her next lines. Clearly they were dealing with more power here than she'd anticipated. Was it better to fight them here and now and reveal herself? Or could a greater advantage be gained?

"The ship is crewed by weaklings and idiots," she tells the dark figure with a traitor's contemptuous tones. "None of them are of consequence except the inquisitives. They've kept to themselves, but I have been working at ingratiating myself to them and gaining their trust."

She grimaced, as if at an unpleasant memory. "It hasn't been easy, but I'm making progress. They are all blinded by their own arrogance, the wizard especially."

"She's given herself the title of Whisper, though she has little subtlety to live up to that name. There's a savage brute who goes by Midian who doesn't like to talk, but he has the look of a woodsman. One called Doral was a cutpurse and ruffian before this or I'll spit my tongue on a stake. Finally, a fighting man named Glaive."

She licks her lips and looks worshipfully back at the skeletons and the shadow. "They returned flush with their 'victory.' None of them have any idea of the true power that awaits them. Even so...Honored Brother...I had an idea to separate them from the ship. I can lead them into an ambush at a place of your choosing, letting us overwhelm them while leaving the ship and its crew completely vulnerable."

jkason

First Post
Midian Rightson, human druid

Midian finds himself thankful that a bird's features don't work like a human's. He's fairly certain, otherwise, that his own would have betrayed first his shock and fear at the forces at play, and now his amusement as Whisper works her manipulation. Whether she can convince these people to set up an ambush or not (and he prays to the four winds that she can), at the very least they'll be misinformed about the powers at the group's disposal. At this point, he reasons, they'll need as much of an element of surprise as they can get.

SelcSilverhand

First Post
"If they can be separated from the camp this very night without rousing the others, then we will kill them. If we cannot then we will simply kill them in their sleep along with all the others. No matter our path, they must die tonight. The Horror of the Black Depths, that glorious engine of destruction, will begin to tear their ship asunder before the morning and our attacks must be coordinated. Tell me your plan, and quickly, we must not waste the night."

OOC - The rest of the group on the ground can see at least three of the skeletal humanoid figures and five of the skeletal canines.

Midian
[SBLOCK]
You can see three skeletal humanoids and a fourth one still crouching behind the rock the figure in the dark robes stands upon. You also note that there are at least two additional canines skulking behind boulders out of sight of the rest of the group. Figure in the robes, 4 humanoids, and 7 canines total.
[/SBLOCK]

Shayuri

First Post
"I'll go back and tell them of how I heard strange whispers, and saw dark shapes moving in the night. I'll describe chanting, like a magic ritual. They've seen enough to fear that sort of thing...to fear what will happen if it succeeds. They will come to stop it before it's too late. But we'll be ready for them. It doesn't even matter if they win. If they live, they'll return to the ship only to find it so much driftwood and barnacles, and every man slain. Then they'll be trapped and alone on the island, and easy to pick off at our leisure."

"All I need to know is where you want to lie in wait for them, so I can bring them to you...and when you wish to attack, so I can be sure to have them well away by that time."

Last edited:

SelcSilverhand

First Post
"Draw them into the jungle, up the slope from their encampment. We will kill them quickly and quietly, then move onto their camp. Go and quickly alert them, we will be in position shortly. The earth will drink their blood this night." The figure stretches out his hand pointing back towards your encampment and waits for you to depart.

Shayuri

First Post
Whisper smirked and bowed 'his' head.

"It will be done, Honored Brother."

With a quick, eager motion, he stood and headed back towards the camp at a brisk, sustainable jog. Inwardly her mind was whirling. They didn't have much time to plan this out. If only she'd been able to ask what the monster in the sea was!

As the 'honored brother' falls out of sight, she slows up a bit to let the others catch up once the cultist has left.

Deuce Traveler

Adventurer
Doral silently follows, trying to keep the group within his invisibility sphere (if still up). His mind races as he tries to consider what the heck he just saw.

Remove ads