Arabesu's Eyes of the Lich Queen, w/ Boons! - OOC

Arabesu

Welcome Lab Rats,

I am currently running a table top campaign through this module with starting my group at 6th level with special wealth rule below. I think I may have overdone it though because they seem to be sticking these challenges pretty hard even though they are ostensibly 2 and 3 above them. This module is tough and I expected more deaths. So as an experiment (hence the greeting) I want to run a group of six to eight 5th level PCs through, to reassure me that there should be more blood :]

This is supposed to be for 5th level PCs to run through 9th or 10th level if they survive.

The rules:

5th level characters with 10% xp above the mininum for fifth.

Choose one: 28 point buy, 15/14/13/11/10/8 array, or roll on invisible castle. Choose before you roll if you choose to roll.

Average hit points to start. Hit point rolls at later levels can be re-rolled once at a loss of half your starting action points or you can take the maximum hp if you begin the level with NO action points.

All WOTC published 3.5 material available except stuff from Dragon/Dungeon.

Maximum number of classes = 3; NO EXCEPTIONS!

Wealth (here is the real catch):

4000 gp to spend as you will on as many items as your 4k can stretch.

20000 gp to spend on one Boon Item. You can spend part of the above 4k on this item if you want, bringing the total up to 24k for one item if you so choose, but of course you won't have anything else. Anything not spent out of this 20k is lost; i.e. you get no leftover gold from it.

MIC, DMG, available with intellegent items encouraged.

The MIC offers a table (I don't have the number) for adding common abilities to items, such as Dex +2 for boots and gloves. That rule can only be applied once to items generally, thus you could have boots of speed with +2 dex, but not the same with element resistence also. The Boon Item above is an exception to this and can have as many common abilities as is appropriate to affinity.

You Boon Item should be special. You don't get into the campaign unless you write a special history of the item along with your background. Ideally they should mesh into a cohesive whole; i.e. your character should be defined by this Boon Item somehow.

Have at it.

Last edited:

Bloodcookie

Explorer
I've been eager to play in an Eberron adventure for some time now, and I have a fairly fleshed-out concept for a Wizard cum Alienist. The boon item presents some interesting possibilities, and I'll get to thinking about how to incorporate them
devious.gif

Vertexx69

First Post
mmm I have seen several EotLQ games start up on this site but never got into any of them early enough. I present Hightower, the goliath barbarian2/swordsage2 (shadow hand) slave from the bowls of the sharn forges. He was taunted and beaten down his whole young life and learned of defend himself with the very massive chains that bound him as his mountainous rage boiled inside. After a time he met a hermit living in seclusion on the lowest levels who taught him how to mold and command the very shadows that he lived in.

His boon item is a nasty, large sized spike chain that he talks to.

do you allow flaws from Unearthed Arcana?

Can a weapon crystal (MIC) be part of the boon item money?

Last edited:

Arabesu

1) don't have unearthed arcana; propose your flaw/trait combo and I will evaluate... in all likelyhood yes, with an ECL+1 hit your going to be a bit behind anyway even with a strong ECL+1 race, so I'll be fairly leanient unless its obviously broken.

2) One crystal is allowed out of your Boon allotment, and this becomes the main crystal you are expected to start the day/encounter with. If you switch it out willy-nilly I may re-evaluate. You can of course buy other crystals from the 4k, but they do not have as much protection from being destroyed or stolen as your Boon item and matching crystal, does.

Boon Items don't work for other PCs. Woe be to a PC who steals another's boon item. Perhaps they are cursed, or just don't work, or in the case of an intellegent item stubornly refuses to cooperate; If a PC dies, don't expect their boon item to be a viable part of looting their body.

Three NPCs over the course of the adventure will also have Boon Items; these are named NPCs with action points etc who are designed to be recurring faces. These three boon items will not work for you as well... similar to your boon items.

If some effect takes your boon item from your, such as a sunder or failed save, I will probably choose to take another item of my choice instead, unless you haven't been depending upon the item...

Upgrading the Boon items will be relatively worry free, essentially you will auto-succeed on gather info checks to find an artificer able to uprade it assuming you are in a sufficiently large city to contain said artificer. Buying other items will not be so easy, but you can find all of your starting gear because you have all the time you need.

Last edited:

stonegod

Spawn of Khyber/LEB Judge
Just as FYI: There are two other Eyes of the Lich Queen's currently running, so you might want to change your thread's title to 'Arabesu's Eyes of the Lich Queen' or such to avoid confusion.
- DEFCON's
- Redclaw's

Fangor the Fierce

First Post
I would be interested in an Eberron campaign. I have the ECS book, and all of the other source books, so I can easily come up with something for flavor. Artificer looks nice, but I will hash out a character that would be good for the group. I see there's a melee fighter, and a wizard, so I will see about a Dragon Shaman if the PHBII is allowed.

Arabesu

Shadow blade goofiness

Vertexx69,

His boon item is a nasty, large sized spike chain that he talks to.

In my home campaign we have ruled that the dex bonus to damage afforded by Shadow Blade does not stack with strength, i.e. it replaces it much like the dex bonus to attack rolls replaces strength when using weapon finesse.

Spiked Chain is often lambasted as broken and generally I disagree, except in this particular case, where hand and a half strength combined with dex, wis, and int to damage along with 2 for 1 power attack can lead to imbalanced amounts of damage for relatively little investment:

Consider a swashbuckler 3, swordsage 3 for example...

I am willing to open this up for discussion, but I would limit the discussion to players in this PbP. Basically, if everyone agrees that its OK then I'll allow it... but for the bad guys too!

Fangor the Fierce

First Post
Wren, Human Dragon Shaman 5. Copper Dragon or Brass dragon would be his totem dragon, as he would like the ability for Spider Climb at will or Endure Elements as Eberron would be in favor of.

His weapons would not be that hard to figure out, as he would be in favor of Longspear, to stay behind the front liners, and provide them and everyone else the benefit of his aura's. Also, Line of Fire or Acid would be a nice little attack, to take care of groups of bad guys. Auras would benefit everyone, and taking Brass Dragon would grant resistance aura for everyone vs fire. Healing would be good as well, but that won't happen until 6th level, with ability to heal others limited amount per day.

So, is this guy acceptable?

Jack of Tales

First Post
I'd be interested in this could I play a shapeshift-variant druid? I've been itching to try out a high level one of these. It's a variant from PHBII that gives simpler version of wild shape. I was thinking shifter for race. As for boon item, I'll have to look those up again as I'm not sure precisely what it is. From my interpretation though I'd make it a single gauntlet that aided with magic casting (since items don't help while shapeshifted). I could provide a combination of spellcasting, buffs and fighting.

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Upcoming Releases