Arabesu's Eyes of the Lich Queen - IC




+ Log in or register to post
Page 1 of 35 1234567891011 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 342
  1. #1
    Registered User
    Novice (Lvl 1)

    Arabesu's Avatar

    Join Date
    Jan 2002
    Location
    Seattle
    Posts
    509

    Ignore Arabesu

    Arabesu's Eyes of the Lich Queen - IC

    As your forge your way through the hot jungle toward your objective, the overgrown path that you have been following widens and is revealed to be a well worn path.

    Faris, now in the middle of the convoy, had given up upon flying overhead in avian form after losing track of the convoy under the dense canopy. In predator form she paced circles around Trent who also occupied a place at the second rank of the convoy. Having difficulty forging his way through the dense jungle, Hightower was near the rear of the convoy, perpetually snagging his mammoth chain on the bushes and trees that were proving to be a nuisance to fast progress due to his immense bulk. Fenwick had elected to hang back and keep the goliath company, if for no other reason than to be nearest to the one who could shield him from contact with the wild beasts of the forest. Rosapila had taken the lead, deftly ducking under cyclopean fronds and around titanic tree trunks thanks to her small size and agile moves. Knowing that they were getting close, she keenly searched the forest floor for pits, snares, and other traps lain there by the guardians of their objective. Raising one hand she silently called for a halt; something was not right...

    OOC Initial spot and listen outside of combat are assumed to take 10.

    Role initiative, spot, listen, and for Rosapila a search check.
    Last edited by Arabesu; Thursday, 14th February, 2008 at 06:03 PM. Reason: fixed Faris's gender, sorry Jack.
    My Games:
    Games I DM:
    Eyes of the Lich Queen IC OOC RG

    Games I'm in:
    Eschaton IC OOC RG

    The lost one
    IC OOC RG

    The Red Hand of Doom
    IC OOC RG


    My story hour.

 

  • #2
    Rosapila surveys the land, recalling the instructions of an old border guard who once taught her how to look for signs that an area was disturbed.

    OOC: http://invisiblecastle.com/roller/view/1493342/

    Init: [8,1] = (9)
    Spot → [11,9] = (20)
    Listen → [18,9] = (27)
    Search → [8,10] = (18)
    Last edited by moritheil; Thursday, 14th February, 2008 at 08:45 AM.
    Will save or click
    Originally Posted by edhel
    I, for one, welcome our new petunia overlords.
    Originally Posted by Malum
    It was a war of attrition. The players had a set amount of hit points vs. the FB who had unlimited hit points.
    Originally Posted by K
    Anything with 'Elven' in the name does more damage.
    Originally Posted by Nifft
    I have great respect for "realism" in its natural habitat ("reality"), but I find it out of place in D&D, and on this board in particular.


    Invasion! OOC IC RG
    The City Arcana
    Hall of the Dwarven Lord

    FS

  • #3

    Faris-Shapeshift Druid-Jack of Tales

    Faris pads around the group as a black panther, wishing she could go bounding through the jungle but knowing it was a bad idea. She has always been easily distracted and now is no different as she sniffs at the nearby tracks of a small mouse and watches the flight of a butterfly.

    OOC:
    Initiative = 19
    Listen and Spot: 18/4

  • #4
    PbP Addict
    The Great Druid (Lvl 17)

    renau1g's Avatar

    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Posts
    16,816

    Ignore renau1g
    Already feeling nervous as the forest appeared to close in around him, Fenwick pulls his cloak tighter and attempts to hide behind the massive bulk of his goliath companion. Realizing Rosa's signal he attempts to figure out what she sees, but being towards the back of the convoy he struggles to make anything out.

    OOC
    Initiative (1d20+7=9)
    Spot (1d20+3=6)
    Listen (1d20+5=9)

    P.S. not sure if Hoppy gets to roll, but they're below. I screwed up though and rolled 4x, I'll take the first two (happen to be the lowest also)
    Hoppy's Spot/Listen (1d20+5=6, 1d20+5=16, 1d20+5=17, 1d20+5=18)
    Last edited by renau1g; Thursday, 14th February, 2008 at 06:38 PM. Reason: Forgot Alertness - Added Hoppy's rolls

  • #5
    Registered User
    Waghalter (Lvl 7)

    Vertexx69's Avatar

    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    Reno, NV
    Posts
    2,662

    Ignore Vertexx69
    Hightower, Goliath Barb2 Fighter2, 37HP, AC 28, touch 15 (uncanny dodge)

    Hightower stops at the signal. Crouching lower as he drops into his defensive stance (Com Ex +4ac =AC 28). His craggy features furrowing as he takes stock of the surroundings. He whispers "Truedeath" in the language of his people, and Arcanas vanishes from his chest and appears in his free hand without a movement on the goliath's part.

    Initiative: (1d20+2=14)
    Listen: (1d20+5=23)
    Spot: (1d20+5=22)
    Remember that every facet of our lives tries to become all consuming if we don't watch it. We need creative outlets like gaming to keep the trudge of daily life from grinding our souls into dust...
    - Vertexx69
    ____________________
    MyGames
    Living Eberron - OOC RG IC
    ToH - IC
    Death of the Dragons - RG IC
    B5 Outrageous Fortune - IC OOC
    Music Inspired Insanity - OOC RG IC
    Welcome to Slimy Lake - OOC RG IC
    Muare Castle - OOC RG IC

  • #6
    Registered User
    Scout (Lvl 6)

    Fangor the Fierce's Avatar

    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Location
    Houston
    Posts
    2,230

    Ignore Fangor the Fierce

    Trent's Senses Bonus, +2 to Spot, Listen and Initiative

    Trent's purpose was well known, and this would be no exception. His aura is still in play, as he checks with the others, lending them the small edge in their aids. (Senses Aura, everyone add +2 to Spot, Listen and Initiative checks)

    He then scours the immediate surrounding area, wondering what was going on himself.

    Spot, Listen and Initiative, in that order... this time the correct number of dice... (1d20 4=20, 1d20 2=19, 1d20 2=14)

  • #7
    Registered User
    Novice (Lvl 1)

    Arabesu's Avatar

    Join Date
    Jan 2002
    Location
    Seattle
    Posts
    509

    Ignore Arabesu
    Rosapila is stalking along the edge of the clearing, looking inward at the gigantic footprints of the creatures that have beaten down this path. She is musing that the manner in which these footprints end in a clearing suggests that this clearing and path are the terminus of a regular patrol area. She has just enough time to raise her hand to signal the halt, when a rattlesnake, bigger than she is, lunges out into the path. She is just a bit quicker than it is, thanks to being just inside of Trent's Draconic aura. Rustling noises from 5 to 10 paces off the path in various directions around the clearing are heard by everyone except Fenwick who is distracted by the very loud clanking of Hightower's armor and tower shield. This rustling suggests that other entities are near although they don't SEEM to have taken any direct action. Yet.

    Your group is fairly spread out; I hadn't planned on mapping since this one should go quickly: Rosapila 20 ahead of Trent & Faris who are 20 ahead of Hightower and Fenwick.

    Surprise Round:

    The others init 15 (they apparently are taking actions out of sight, so Rosa is up...)
    Rosapila init 11
    Rattlesnake (adjacent to her, and aggressively threatening her, no longer hidden) init 10

    Regular Round:

    Faris init 19
    Hightower init 16
    The others (still out of sight until they go...) init 15
    Trent init 14
    Rosapila init 11
    Fenwick init 11
    Rattlesnake init 10

    At the end of your turns, roll new spots....
    Last edited by Arabesu; Friday, 15th February, 2008 at 01:50 AM.
    My Games:
    Games I DM:
    Eyes of the Lich Queen IC OOC RG

    Games I'm in:
    Eschaton IC OOC RG

    The lost one
    IC OOC RG

    The Red Hand of Doom
    IC OOC RG


    My story hour.

  • #8
    "It's not alone!" yells Rosa, her hands already flashing in the familiar pattern of Blinding Color Surge. Her body ripples, and color drains from her form, flowing into the snake as she disappears. (Will DC 18 or be blinded for one round.) Once invisible, she takes a quick step to the side.

    OOC: Rosa is now invisible regardless of whether or not the blindness took effect, so a Spot or Listen check is presumably required for the snake to determine where she is.

    spot 2.0 (1d20+9=18)
    Last edited by moritheil; Thursday, 14th February, 2008 at 09:38 PM.
    Will save or click
    Originally Posted by edhel
    I, for one, welcome our new petunia overlords.
    Originally Posted by Malum
    It was a war of attrition. The players had a set amount of hit points vs. the FB who had unlimited hit points.
    Originally Posted by K
    Anything with 'Elven' in the name does more damage.
    Originally Posted by Nifft
    I have great respect for "realism" in its natural habitat ("reality"), but I find it out of place in D&D, and on this board in particular.


    Invasion! OOC IC RG
    The City Arcana
    Hall of the Dwarven Lord

    FS

  • #9
    Registered User
    Waghalter (Lvl 7)

    Vertexx69's Avatar

    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    Reno, NV
    Posts
    2,662

    Ignore Vertexx69
    Hightower, Goliath Barb2 Fighter2, 37HP, AC 24, touch 15 (uncanny dodge)

    Hightower moves at best speed toward the front of the party (run if possible) while slinging his shield to his back, leaving his other hand free to properly wield the chain.
    OOC
    does my spot let me see any enemies while I move up?

    Spot (1d20+7=20)
    Last edited by Vertexx69; Saturday, 16th February, 2008 at 06:42 AM.
    Remember that every facet of our lives tries to become all consuming if we don't watch it. We need creative outlets like gaming to keep the trudge of daily life from grinding our souls into dust...
    - Vertexx69
    ____________________
    MyGames
    Living Eberron - OOC RG IC
    ToH - IC
    Death of the Dragons - RG IC
    B5 Outrageous Fortune - IC OOC
    Music Inspired Insanity - OOC RG IC
    Welcome to Slimy Lake - OOC RG IC
    Muare Castle - OOC RG IC

  • #10
    Registered User
    Novice (Lvl 1)

    Arabesu's Avatar

    Join Date
    Jan 2002
    Location
    Seattle
    Posts
    509

    Ignore Arabesu
    The snake bites at the spot where it expected Rosa to be standing, but only gets a mouthful of grass for its trouble. It is difficult to tell if it was blinded or not, but either way it seems unexpectedly unable to find you with its scent abilty and rattles its tail in frustration.

    Hightower rumbles out of the forest, a juggernaut of steel plates and umbral chain links, sliding to a stop a few paces behind Rosa out in the clearing.

    OOC: Vertexx69, I assume you are still using expertise for 4 since shield is slung but AC is at 24. Hightower began in the thick of the forest, slowing movement to half speed over the first full move of 10 feet. Springing out into the clearing you get up to full speed of 20 putting you 10 feet behind Rosa but because of your enhanced reach you threaten the serpent on her far side. I anticipate that this poor beast is destined to be a new belt for someone very soon. There is a 5ish foot gap to right where the forest meats the clearing and about fifteen feet to the far side of the clearing and to the left. For the moment, you feel in complete control of the clearing; anything out in the open is dead meat.

    for Vertexx69
    Under the current circumstances, your previously very good spot of 24, adjusted for aura, did not yet see the "others." Obviously for the moment they are very well hidden. You don't know this yet, so can't act upon it, but your newer roll of 20 should let you see them the next time your turn comes around even though it is a lower number than what you got before.


    Faris and Trent are just in the clearing about 10 feet from the forest edge.

    Faris is next, Hightower has already gone, "The others" will follow.
    Last edited by Arabesu; Friday, 15th February, 2008 at 01:19 AM.
    My Games:
    Games I DM:
    Eyes of the Lich Queen IC OOC RG

    Games I'm in:
    Eschaton IC OOC RG

    The lost one
    IC OOC RG

    The Red Hand of Doom
    IC OOC RG


    My story hour.

  • + Log in or register to post
    Page 1 of 35 1234567891011 ... LastLast

    Similar Threads

    1. Arabesu's Eyes of the Lich Queen, w/ Boons! - OOC
      By Arabesu in forum Talking the Talk
      Replies: 309
      Last Post: Friday, 16th January, 2009, 11:36 PM
    2. Arabesu's Eyes of the Lich Queen - RG
      By Arabesu in forum General RPG Discussion
      Replies: 8
      Last Post: Wednesday, 28th May, 2008, 02:00 AM
    3. Eyes Of The Lich Queen: Ch. 2
      By DEFCON 1 in forum Playing the Game
      Replies: 64
      Last Post: Thursday, 8th May, 2008, 07:14 PM
    4. Arabesu's Eyes of the Lich Queen; Flashback - IC
      By Arabesu in forum Playing the Game
      Replies: 102
      Last Post: Tuesday, 15th April, 2008, 05:56 PM
    5. Eyes Of The Lich Queen
      By DEFCON 1 in forum Playing the Game
      Replies: 752
      Last Post: Monday, 10th March, 2008, 04:39 PM

    Posting Permissions

    • You may not post new threads
    • You may not post replies
    • You may not post attachments
    • You may not edit your posts
    •