Greyhawk/Planescape - The Octych (artifact useful for any campaign!!!!!!!)

Cyronax

Explorer
Everyone,

I just wanted to share my version of the Octych, which was an item recently introduced in the Expedition to Castle Greyhawk adventure. It was left to the DM to develop and develop I did. IMC (which is actually a homebrew world with no ties to GH and a cosmology unknowingly similar to 4e's), it has appeared deep in a ruined dwarven stronghold (with some areas inspired by Castle Greyhawk) and was left behind to serve as a bridge to a world where the ancient dwarves were forced to flee to for various campaign reasons. The adventuring party just used the Octych for the first time in our campaign amid some uncertainty. Part of the importance of the Octych is its ability to circumvent god-inspired edicts against planar magic. IMC the gods have strictly limited some spells such as plane shift and gate, and the Octych gets around these prohibitions easily.

In Greyhawk, the Octych has a long history:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mordenkainen's_Fantastic_Adventure_(module)

Let me know what you all think. Much of this material has been combined from some spells and items from the 3e Manual of the Planes.

C.I.D.

--------------

The Octych (Minor Artifact)

Appearance and Lore:
The Octych is an artifact of uncertain origins that resembles an 8-inch triangle constructed out of a dense gold-like metal. Despite its artifact-status, the Octych does radiate a magic aura and looks a little dented and irregular. What little lore is known about the Octych, indicates that it was last in possession of the ancient dwarven theurge Khendoc Khazendor of Boccob and was specifically crafted to serve as a bridge betweens other worlds. The Octych is possibly not a unique artifact, though references to other Octychs are currently unknown. [Strong abjuration, conjuration, and divination; CL 20th; Weight 8lbs.]

Powers:
All of the Octych’s powers operate by holding it in both hands and concentrating as a full-round action which provokes an attack of opportunity. The artifact has several powers, all of which pertain to magical travel and probably emulate a number of constituent magic effects from a wide range of spells and magic items. All of the Octych’s powers are tied to successful Knowledge skill checks. A successful Use Magic Device check can be used in place of any of these required Knowledge skill checks to operate all of the Octych’s powers.

1) Dimensional Sextant:

The Octych’s dimensional sextant power is tied to a bearer’s understanding of the vast worlds and interplanar realms that make up the so-called multiverse. It takes a Knowledge (planes) check to operate this power which has the Octych point the bearer to the nearest interplanar portal.

Desired Direction DC
To the nearest portal 20
To the nearest portal to a specific plane 25
To determine where a portal leads* 30

* - some portals can have multiple possible destinations; the Octych usually reveals this fact as part of this power.

In the case of temporary portals, such as those created by the gate spell, the Octych reveals the temporary nature of that gate. It does not react to mere dimension extensions such as a bag of holding or a rope trick spell, or to extrusions from other dimensions such as certain shadow spells.

2) Universal Portal Key:

Portals are one of the fastest and most reliable ways of traveling the multiverse. Generally a portal is a two-way (sometimes one-way), two-dimensional field inside a bounded space, binding two different locations to one another. A portal can cross between worlds and planes, and usually is not subject to the edicts of the remaining gods that were put in place after the War Across Forever in order to limit the fallout from unbound interplanar conflict (i.e. the Godwall or the Ark of Cipheron). Some portals need a portal key to function, but then again some don’t. A portal key is just that: a distinctive object or necessary situation which opens a portal. The nature of the key normally reflects where the portal leads.

One of the Octych’s most useful powers is that it can function as a universal portal key. With this power, the bearer of the Octych can force open a portal without the correct portal key (or spell). The bearer of the Octych must make a successful Knowledge (arcana) check within ten feet of a portal. The Octych’s universal portal key power can be used once every eight days (roll a 1d8 each time this power is used). This power expends a great deal of the Octych’s internal magic energy, and an unsuccessful check releases the Octych’s power as well.

Portal DC
Non-keyed portal N/A*
Typical keyed portal 30
Portal sealed by seal portal spell 20 + caster’s level
Portal created/sealed by a deity 50

* - non-keyed portals usually don’t have any requirement or prohibition for use.

The bearer of the Octych can transport an additional twelve willing Medium or smaller
creatures (carrying gear or objects up to its maximum load) or its equivalent. A Large
creature counts as two Medium creatures, a Huge creature counts as two Large creatures,
and so forth. The travelers need not be touching you or one another, but must be within
60 feet of the bearer of the Octych.

3) Summon Spell Dampening:

The bearer of the Octych can do much to aggravate various adversaries with it’s summon
spells dampening power (angels, conjurers, demons, devils, elementals, etc.). Once a day, the Octych can create a dampening field that extends 100 feet in every
direction with a successful Knowledge (planes) check, DC 25. Summoning spells and
calling spell or spell-like ability are suppressed within this radius, though creatures
summoned outside the dampening field can enter it normally. The dampening field lasts
one minute (e.g. 10 rounds). Creatures summoned or called before the Octych creates the
dampening field are unaffected. To resist this affect the caster of a summoning or calling
spells must make a caster level check against the Octych, as if they were trying to dispel
the Octych’s dampening field (caster level check = 1d20 + resistor’s caster level; DC 31).
A failed Knowledge (planes) check uses up this power for the day.

4) Retain Portal Essence:

The Octych also has the ability to travel between worlds and planes even when not within
10 feet of a portal. To accomplish this, the bearer of the Octych must first concentrate
normally and make a successful Knowledge (arcana) check when within 10 feet of a
portal as if they were using the Octych’s universal portal key power, but instead of
traveling through the portal the bearer essentially captures a portion of the portal’s
magic essence and stores it within the Octych for later use. This stored power will remain
within the Octych for 1d4+1 days and can be released by concentrating normally and
making a successful Knowledge (arcana) check. The retained portal essence can also
be dismissed without actually traveling to another world or plane if the bear of the
Octych so desires for various reasons. A portal affected by this spell usually
functions normally even after some of its essence has been retained by the Octych, but in
in some cases, a portal might be affected adversely or in unforeseen ways.

Traveling Using Stored Portal Energy DC
Essence of a non-keyed portal 15
Essence of a keyed portal 25
Essence of a divinely sealed portal 40

The release of the energy allows the bearer of the Octych along with willing companions
of the appropriate number (see universal portal key description) to transport themselves
to wherever the portal whose essence the Octych retained would have taken them
normally. In the case of a portal which allows for multiple destinations, the bearer of the
Octych will have to determine the desired destination at the time of capturing the portal’s
magic energy.

Traveling in this manner is a slightly traumatic experience, and all travelers including the
bearer of the Octych will usually face some adverse consequences upon arrival at their
destination. Consequences will vary depending on the nature of the portal they took
energy as well as other variable conditions.

The Octych’s retain portal essence power can be used once every eight days (roll a 1d8
each time this power is used). This power expends a great deal of the Octych’s internal
magic energy, and an unsuccessful check releases the Octych’s power as well. This
is effectively equivalent to using the Octych’s universal portal key power, which means
that energy expended for one power is the same as another (e.g. the 1d8 roll affects the
the use and frequency of both powers).

5) Other Powers?

The Octych’s full powers are unknown, and there may be other uses that could be
revealed pending a combination of factors, including conditions that vary across worlds
and planes. One such instance of this has already been experienced by the D’XANDG
adventurers: the Octych had more powers and was easier to use while in Helkazum’s
Hall of Memory (i.e. the chambers where they underwent the Trials of the Octych), probably because Khazenor didn't want to make it too hard for other dwarves to follow after him.

Last edited:

Menexenus

First Post
Hi Cyronax. I know what a bummer it is to post something and get no responses. So even though I am certainly unqualified to evaluate the work you've done on fleshing out the powers of the Octych, I'd just like to give you a word of encouragement. If I ever buy the Expedition to Castle Greyhawk, I'll definitely come back and take a look.

My memories of Mordenkainen's Fantastic Adventure are dim. But I think I remember that at the end of the module, there was an 8 pointed star set in the floor that had the power to send the PCs pretty much anywhere the DM wanted them to go. Is that the Octych? If so, why did you decide to turn it into a hand-held triangle? After all, the prefix "oct-" seems to indicate 8. Maybe that's why you made it 8 inches long, instead? (Just curious.)

Like I said, keep up the good work! I'm sure someone is going to come to ENWorld some day and do a search for info on the Octych, and they will be very glad that your thread is here.

Metarchibaron

First Post
Good job! I think your version of the octych is very good: I adopt it. Obviously it can't be a unique artifact: there should be eight octychs. And I wouldn't be surprised that they could be placed exactly on the eight pointed star located in Maures castle... though it might be better to be quite epic if you try... don't you think ?
By the way, if you wish to draw a eight pointed star, you could also use eight Y.
Well.
And again this hypnotizing Y. Like in octYch and like the first letter of the name of the ancient guardian by the door.
Huhuh.
Final thought, and what if you place the eight octychs inside the eight pointed star (in the included octogon but not in the outer part of the star, the "pointed parts")... Probably a bad option.

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Upcoming Releases