low level solo monsters?

mhensley

First Post
From what we've seen so far, solo monsters will be big and tough with multiple actions per round. Stuff like Beholders and Dragons have been mentioned as solo monsters. Will there be solo monsters for low level? What would make a good solo monster at 1st level for example? The first thing I would think of would be the carrion crawler. It's big and gets multiple attacks per round, but it's already been said to be a paragon level monster in 4e.

Aristotle

First Post
I'd love to see some low level solo monsters. As soon as I saw this topic I thought about the whole "wolf pack vs a bear" scenario and how that would emulate really well if wolves were standard animals and the bear were a solo animal.

mhensley said:
From what we've seen so far, solo monsters will be big and tough with multiple actions per round. Stuff like Beholders and Dragons have been mentioned as solo monsters. Will there be solo monsters for low level? What would make a good solo monster at 1st level for example? The first thing I would think of would be the carrion crawler. It's big and gets multiple attacks per round, but it's already been said to be a paragon level monster in 4e.
Wyrmling Dragons? :)

I can't think of a different 3.x monster that would fit this description, especially at very low levels.
I like the idea of some animals being Solo monsters, though that might be easier said then done - a Solo monster probably needs a lot of attacks it can use per round (not all on its own initiative) and animal won't work so well here. (That's my assumption so far)
What I can see is that Dire Animals and Dinosaurs could become Elite versions of animals. (If Dire Animals still exist)

mhensley

First Post
Mustrum_Ridcully said:
Wyrmling Dragons? :)

Yeah, that would work but I think they are getting rid of the wyrmling age category for dragons. After taking a look at the srd, the lowest level solo type monster I see is the Five-Headed Hydra at CR 4.

LEHaskell

First Post
In the pod cast on the Monster Manual (October), near the end where James Wyatt is asked to create various level encounters on the fly, one of the encounters is "a third level party guarding a caravan". His answer: a young white dragon.

I checked the time on that reference: it's right around 31:15.

WyzardWhately

First Post
I've been thinking about my first solo monster for a while. I actually think I'm going to gin up a ripoff of the villain from the novella Dark Harvest (it won a Bram Stoker award last year, it's pretty cool.) It's a murderous, pumpkin-headed scarecrow that local teenagers hunt as part of an a coming-of-age rite every halloween. Also, it has the best treasure ever.

Those who devour its candy innards (seriously, it's stuffed with candy and has a licorice heart) are destined for greatness. It also kills people with a pitchfork, though, so it doesn't come off as campy as it sounds in synopsis.

dangerous jack

First Post
Or a fiendish boar. With monsters dying at 0 hp, another way to model its ferocity could be to give it more than one action / round. I'm picturing a really hyperactive devil boar shredding its way through a group of soldiers. Would it be wrong to have an Animal as a solo monster?

Remove ads