Converting original D&D and Mystara monsters

Status
Not open for further replies.

Shade

Monster Junkie
Added the basics to Homebrews.

I think SLA works best for the charm (plus it will actually boost the save DC in this case). The suggestion could be either Su or Sp.

freyar

Extradimensional Explorer
Ok, then,

SLA: At will - charm person, suggestion (charmed targets only)?

or

SLA: At will - charm person

Suggestion (Su): At will, a hypnos magen may contact any subject of its charm person spell-like ability telepathically, as long as that creature is on the same plane as the magen. The hypnos magen may use this telepathic contact to impart a suggestion, as the spell. A DC X Will save negates the suggestion. The save DC is Charisma-based.

Shade

Monster Junkie
Shouldn't it be charm monster? Nothing seemed to indicate the ability should be limited to humanoids.

freyar

I'm fine with charm monster, but here's the original quote (my bold):

Hypnos can attempt to use charm person once per round; a victim who fails a saving throw vs. spells believes the hypnos to be a valued friend.

freyar

Should be reasonably high. CL 6? That gives it a 6 hour duration. One argument for charm monster is the day/level duration instead, and we could stick to CL=HD then. Hmph.

Shade

Monster Junkie
Either approach works for me. I don't find charm monster to be overpowered in this case, despite it being a higher level spell.

That said, CL 6th charm person may be adequate.

Cleon

Legend
Either approach works for me. I don't find charm monster to be overpowered in this case, despite it being a higher level spell.

That said, CL 6th charm person may be adequate.

I'd rather keep it charm person. That's what it says in the original description, and charm monster at-will is a bit more potent than I fancy for these creatures.

Maybe we should give them a higher Charisma to match their modus operandi. I'm thinking a Charisma around 13-15, since suggestion is a 3rd level sorcerer spell, and their ability to telepathically command charmed creatures has a certain similarity to dominate person and telepathic bond, both 5th level sorcerer spells.

Split the difference for Charisma 14?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Remove ads