New Microlite20 thread

RandallS

Explorer
Microlite75 Playtest Version 0.3 (with Psionics) Available

The third playtest draft of Microlite75 is now available. Changes for this draft are mainly in the optional rules section. Major additions to the optional rules include: Advantages and Disadvantages, Character Goals and Traits, Armor for all classes, and Psionics. Some spells had descriptions added or slightly modified. Some types were corrected throughout the book. A new section on Old School Play was added.

The major -- and most time consuming -- addition is rules for psionics. The system from 0e is hard to understand and even harder to actually use. Coming up with a set of simple rules that worked, felt mechanically and stylistically different from magic (as 0e psionics did), could be added to any character without unbalancing the game too much was a major pain. The current rules lack psionic combat. I haven't yet decided if I will try to add this in a future playtest edition. I've used psionics in my Empire of Arn campaigns since 1976 and psionic combats have been rare as hen's teeth. Your comments on this issue will strongly influence my decision.

What's planned for Playtest version 0.4? There will definitely be some minor changes to combat based on my current playtest campaign. The optional rules for combat maneuvers may get a complete overhaul. I will probably add more advantages, disadvantages, and psionic abilities. A full equipment list will be added for those who prefer to buy exactly what they want instead of using the quick packs. Some type of non-clerical healing will be added (probably some type of herbalism). The section on hirelings will be expanded.

Spells may get rearranged in alphabetical order. While I personally prefer the old way of alphabetical with class and level, switching to alphabetical would mean that some long high level spell descriptions would not have to be duplicated. One of my players has asked for some of the useful spells used in Harry Potter books (like Obliviate). I may add a few with the names filed off.

The "Science Fantasy" section will be completely rewritten. New monsters may get added.

However, that's for the future. Today, you can download your free copy of Microlite75 Playtest Version 0.3 from Mediafire: Microlite75-Playtest-0.3.pdf. It's a 400K PDF with about 27 pages of rules, spells, and monsters (plus a cover sheet).

And remember, you can still sponsor Microlite75 (and Advanced Microlite20 OSS). Information is included in the playtest pdf or can be found on the RetroRoleplaying web site. I'd like to thank Dennis Kadera, Shane Morales, Ronald Pehr, Richard Tongue, Matthew Cooper, and Sebastian Dietz for their sponsorship!

UPDATE: Playtest Version 0.4 of Microlite75 is available. New classes, weird science, equipment lists, and more added. See this post on my blog for more details and to download your free copy: Microlite75 Playtest Version 0.4 (with Equipment and Weird Science) Available. BTW, feedback really is welcome.

Last edited:

Nomad4life

First Post
I need to ask someone here a favor in case anyone is also active on the M20 forums.
A long while back, I put together an M20 version of Star Wars. I was slowly bit by bit working on a PDF for it (with pictures and starship rules) but I teach in the day and work on grad school projects by night, so progress was almost non-existent and getting the group back together for playtesting has been a problem.

Several days ago, somebody in my group showed me where someone over at the M20 forums has done a *fantastic* job of converting my SW mod into a PDF file- in fact, they did a much better job than the mess I've been trying to put together. Next time we play, I'll be using their version of the mod at my own table!

I wanted to let this person know how impressed I was with their compilation and editing of M20SW, but frustratingly, I cannot log back in to the forums there anymore. I've even tried asking for a new password multiple times, but none of them work either.

In any case, if somebody could pass along my big smile and thumb up of approval, I'd sure appreciate it. ;)

RandallS

Explorer
Download the Microlite75 Final Playtest Draft

The (hopefully) final Playtest draft of Microlite75 is now available for free download. M75 hase been split into two books: Characters and Magic contains the standard rules, the spell and equipment lists, and a player's intro to old school play. Options and Monsters contains the various optional rules that GMs can add to customize the game, monsters, and advice for the GM. In most campaigns, players will only need a copy of the Characters and Magic book.

You can find out more and download free PDF copies of both books from this post on my blog: Download the Microlite75 Final Playtest Draft.

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Recent & Upcoming Releases