New Microlite20 thread

greywulf

First Post
Here's a quick heads-up because I'm just about to head through the door: Microlite20 conversion for Thieve's World, here, courtesy of El Diablo Robotico.

Enjoy!

greywulf

First Post
Folks, I'm sorry to say that the server which hosts the Microlite20 site has been down for the entire of the day. Enough is enough.

I've started a Microlite20 Fundraiser . Check out that page for information how you could help put Microlite20 on a shiny new site with better uptime, cool new toys and much, much more!

I'll write more about this when I'm a bit less hacked off with our server hosts.......... :(

UPDATED:
Here's what I have planned for the new Microlite20 site so far:

• core rules, including downloads as .txt, .pdf and.rtf
  • blogs and story hours
  • forums
  • house rules
  • campaign settings
  • adventures
  • a store where users can sell their own PDFs

All content will be free to read and comment; the forums will require (free) registration. Donaters will be able to host a blog/story hour and contribute house rules, settings and adventures. PDF sales will split the profits.

This ain't no subscription model neither - donate (any amount, at least a dollar) and you get it. Simple as that :)

But, it's not going to happen unless we reach that target, so get donating!

I'll stop with the hard sell now. Promise :)

Last edited:

Elephant

First Post
Age of Fable said:
Soooo....

can anyone give me an answer to my question?

Basically I'm wanting to know how saves vs magic work.

Fable, I would have thought that Neurowiz's post (http://www.enworld.org/showpost.php?p=4202843&postcount=60) had answered your question. If it's a spell that offers a save, have the target roll a save; if it requires an attack roll, use the magic attack of the caster.

For saves, per the base M20 description, roll Physical + Strength for Fort, Physical + Dex for Reflex, and level + Mind for Will saves.

And as always, this being Microlite, tweak anything that seems odd to you :)

@greywulf: Good luck on the M20 fundraiser!

Age of Fable

First Post
Elephant said:
Fable, I would have thought that Neurowiz's post (http://www.enworld.org/showpost.php?p=4202843&postcount=60) had answered your question. If it's a spell that offers a save, have the target roll a save; if it requires an attack roll, use the magic attack of the caster.

For saves, per the base M20 description, roll Physical + Strength for Fort, Physical + Dex for Reflex, and level + Mind for Will saves.

And as always, this being Microlite, tweak anything that seems odd to you :)

@greywulf: Good luck on the M20 fundraiser!

My question was more how you work out whether it needs an attack roll and/or offers a save.

So you're saying there's no way of doing that other than referring to the main d20 rules?

Neurowiz

First Post
Age of Fable said:
My question was more how you work out whether it needs an attack roll and/or offers a save.

So you're saying there's no way of doing that other than referring to the main d20 rules?

Ah, yes, that's true, there's no clear rule on that, now I understand what you're asking. If you feel comfortable enough, use your best GM judgment and decide. You can, as you say, also go back to the main D20 spells list and figure it out that way.

Example:
Things like acid arrow and acid splash requires, according to D20 SRD, a 'ranged touch attack' - I would have the mage make a magic attack instead. If the targets gets a save, then the DC we described before applies.

What do you think?

Regards,
Neurowiz/Chgowiz

greywulf

First Post
Age of Fable said:

Yes, there's an easy way to do it.

You're the GM. You make the call.

Unlike D&D, Microlite20 doesn't have rules for things that the GM should be able to decide for themselves. If you want the player to make an attack roll, then that's cool. If you want the victim to make a save instead, that's cool too. It's your game, remember :)

Most of the time, it's pretty obvious (Lightning Bolt? Attack roll! Charm Person? Make a save.....), but it's also fun to have the flexibility to flip between the two, even for the same spell.

If the players are casting Lightning Bolt, then get them to make an attack roll; it puts the drama into their hands, and that's a Good Thing.

On the other hand, if the Evil Orc Shaman is the one firing the Lightning Bolt, why not have the players make a Phys+DEX save to dodge out of the way instead? That puts the drama in the players hands too, so that's also a Good Thing.

That's what's cool about Microlite20; the Rules Can Be Changed to suit the situation.

Hope that helps! :D

In other news, the Microlite20 Fundraiser! is only $7 away from reaching the target!!!! Get donating :D

Age of Fable

First Post
I agree that if you filled in every situation it'd be d20 again :) ,

but in this case, different interpretations could make an enormous difference in the power of wizards. Especially in situations where both caster and target are likely to make their roll.

If there's no official answer then there's no official answer, but...I wish there was an official answer.

Last edited:

greywulf

First Post
:grin:

Ok, here's an official answer, straight from the mouth of him wot wrote Microlite20 in the first place:

"It's up to you."

Better now? :D

Tagnik

First Post
Think of it this way for the Magic Attacks..

If your GM uses some kind of Action Point system where you can affect the rolls you make, then ask him if you can make a magic attack to take advantage of it.

If not.. just take a 10. :)

Remove ads