New Microlite20 thread

kensanata

Explorer
Age of Fable said:
Are you going to make a Microlite version of 4th edition?

In fact, it has already been done! Extensive research and statistical analysis of the exception based combat engine behind 4E and the superior design-fu of our developers have resulted in a new M20 that is as simple and easy to play and run as the old M20. In fact it is not just as easy, it is precisely and exactly the same easy. In the end, after a long grammatical and syntactical struggle it was decided by the Wulf that is and will be, that simplifying 4E results in the exact same M20 as simplifying 3E. In fact, all editions except for AD&D 1st edition simplify to the same M20. When simplifying AD&D 1st edition to M20, one ends up with an extra Appendix with suggested reading. But that's all there is to it.

Enjoy.

Editions come and go, M20 is here to stay as long there is a d20 to be rolled.

greywulf

First Post
Well said kensanata :) Couldn't have put it better myself.

I reckon you could simulate 4e by taking out all of the role-playing elements, putting a load of figures on a gameboard then moving them all three squares to the left each round. If two figures bump into each other they're "bloodied" and move 4 squares right instead. Rinse and repeat.

Yeh, that's about it.

Me? Cynical about 4e? Never! :D

Tagnik

First Post
Well. I think I've finished doing all I want to Microlite20 via my house rules.

I still think it's the same game, but I gave the players access to Martial stances.. ha :)

Stats
40 Points.
Stat bonus = (STAT-10)/2, round down.
Races
Humans get +1 to all skill rolls
Dwarves get +2 MIND
Barbarians get +2 STR
Elves get +2 DEX
Classes
The classes are Fighter, Rogue, Mage, Cleric. Characters begin at Level 1.

Fighters wear any kind of armour and use all shields. They have a +3 bonus to Physical and add +1 to all attack and damage rolls. This increases by +1 at 4th level and every four levels on
Rogues can use medium armour. They have a +3 bonus to Subterfuge. If they successfully Sneak (usually sub+DEX, but depends on situation) up on a foe they can add their Subterfuge skill rank to the damage of their first attack, this is automatic when flanking. Rogues also gain Evasion.
Magi wear no armour. They can cast arcane spells, and gain a +3 bonus to Knowledge. They can summon a familiar or improved familiar for free. They may keep a summoned monster summoned as long as they want but this keeps the amount of HP's used gone. They can only summon one like this at a time or must use a familiar.
Clerics can wear light armour and use shields (except tower). They cast divine spells and gain +3 bonus to Communication. A Cleric can Turn Undead with a successful Magic Attack. DC is the current Hit Points of the Undead. If the DC is exceeded by 10 it is destroyed. This can be used (2 + Level + MIND Bonus) times per day. This can also be used to heal hp by the amount of the attack to a single target or half the amount rolled to all in a radius of 50 ft.
Skills
There are just 4 skills : Physical, Subterfuge, Knowledge and Communication. Roll higher than the given Difficulty Class to succeed.
All classe except Rogues must pick one skill at -3.
Skill rank = your level + any bonus due to your class or race.
Skill roll = d20 + skill rank + whatever stat bonus is most applicable to the use + situation modifiers

For example, Climbing would use Physical + STR bonus. Dodging a falling rock is Physical + DEX bonus. Finding a trap is Subterfuge + MIND bonus. Disabling a trap is Subterfuge + DEX bonus.

Note that there are no “saving throws” in this game; use Physical + STR or DEX bonus for Fortitude and Reflex saves. Saving against magic (Will save) is usually MIND bonus + Knowledge.
Magic
Magi can cast any arcane spell, and Clerics any divine spell, with a spell level equal or below 1/2 their class level, rounded up. They have access to all arcane spells in the SRD spell list. Metamagic works just as if you are casting a spell of the appropriate level. Such as a Silent Fireball would just be a level 4 spell.

Casting a spell of any kind costs Hit Points like Subdual Damage. The cost is 1 - double the level of the spell being cast:

Spell Level 0 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9
HP Cost * 1 3 5 7 9 11 13 15 17

This loss cannot be healed normally but is recovered after 8 hours rest. There is no need to memorize spells in advance.

Casters get extra points to cast with equal to their MIND bonus.

The Difficulty Class (DC) for all spells is
10 + Caster Level + Caster's MIND bonus
Magi must use a Staff or Wand as an Arcane Focus, Clerics must use a Shield as their Divine Focus/Holy Symbol. Spells cannot be cast without them.
Fly Spell must have a Broom, Carpet, or Bed. Flying requries ride checks and acts as if the player is mounted.
Teleport works as a Port Key. 2 Mundane Objects must be set in certain places and must be outdoors. It takes 10 minutes casting time to set each item (20 minutes total). Dimension Door takes a full round action to cast and requires throwing a stone to the location wished to Dimension Door to. The location must also be within line of effect.
Once a caster knows an Energy Type and a Spell Area type, they may mix and match their types to form new spells when casting Evocation spells. This works as a "Free" Metamagic effect. For Example a Cone of Cold and a Fireball can make a Coldball.
Combat
Hit Points = STR Stat + 1d8/Level. If HP reach 0, unconscious and near death. Further damage directly reduces STR. If that reaches 0, death. Fighters get 1d12 per level.

Roll d12 + DEX bonus for initiative order every round. A result of 12 gives you a +2 luck bonus this round.

Melee attack bonus = STR bonus + Level
Missile attack bonus = DEX bonus + Level
Magic attack bonus = MIND bonus + Level

Add attack bonus to d20 roll. If higher than your opponent's Armour Class (AC), it’€™s a hit. Natural 20 is automatically a critical doing maximum damage.
Roll 1d12 on the Critical Chart
1-2 Nothing
3 - offhand is hit, -2 Dex and can't use offhand. A shield or Gauntlet blocks this
4 - Mainhand, -2 Dex, can't use mainhand, weapon dropped if no Guard or Gauntlet
5 - Offarm, -2 Dex, -2 Str, Same as Off Hand, Shield and Arm Guards block this
6 - Mainarm, Same as off arm
7-8 Leg, -2 Str, -4 Dex, move at Half Speed. Leg Armor blocks this
9 - Stomach - +5 Damage, sickened, -4 Str. Plate Armor Blocks this
10 - Chest - stunned, -2 Str, Bleeding 1 point. Blocked by Plate armor
11 - Neck 20% Death, Bleeding 5 points
12 - Head 10% Death, -4 Mind, Stunned 1d4, +10 damage, blocked by Helmet

Fighters and Rogues can use DEX bonus + Level as Melee attack bonus instead if wielding a light weapon. Fighters and Rogues can wield 2 light weapons and attack with both in a round if they take a -2 penalty on all attack rolls that round. Rapiers count as light weapons, but you cannot wield two rapiers at the same time.

Add STR bonus to Melee damage, x2 for 2-handed weapons.
Armour Class (AC) = 10 + DEX bonus + Armour bonus.
Combat Options
Double Move
Two Melee Attacks
Move and Melee Attack
Single Ranged Attack
Move and Ranged Attack at -2
Cast Spell
Move and Ready Action at -2
-Ranged Attack
-Melee Attack
-Counter Spell
Ready an Action
Spell
Ranged Attack
Single Melee Attack
Aim +4 to Ranged Attack -4 AC
Charge +2 to Melee Attack -2 AC
Not using an Off Hand Weapon grants a +1 Shield Bonus to AC
Level Advancement
Each level adds:
+1d8+1 to Hit Points (1d12+1 for Fighters) Max at 1st Level
+1 to all attack rolls
+1 to all skills

If the level divides by three (i.e. level 3,6,9,etc.) add 1 point to STR, DEX or MIND.

Fighters gain +1 to their attack and damage rolls at levels 4,8,12,etc.

Clerics and Magi gain access to new spell levels at levels 3,5,7,9,etc.
Assumed Feats
Power Attack - max of +5/-5 Used for called shots like Trip, Disarm, etc. at -5.
Combat Expertise - max of +5/-5
Item Creation - Comes at appropriate levels
Summon Familiar - Magi only
Precise Shot
Manyshot
Greater Cleaving
Improved Shield Bash (Light Shield Only, Fighter only)

Damage Reduction
Medium Armor (Except for Hide) gives 1/-, Breastplate gives 2/- DR.
Heavy Armor gives 3/- DR, Half Plate gives 4/- DR, full plate gives 5/- DR. This stacks with all other damage reduction.
Heavy Shields give DR from spells, spell like effects, and breath weapons. Heavy Shields give 2/- and Tower Shields give 4/-

Drama Dice
Drama Dice are 2d10's that can be used for a number of options.
Add to any dice roll before or after the roll (this includes damage)
Submit 1 to Re-Roll any dice roll
Submit 1 for a half action
Submit 2 for an full Action
Submit 3 to Cast Another Spell
Submit 1 for any Dramatic Situation in which the PC's plea to the GM (including saving your life!)
All PC's recieve 5 Drama Dice per level. They may be given as rewards or other reasons such as tough encounters or extra per session.
Martial Disciplines
All Classes may choose one martial discipline from the Tome of Battle: The Book of Nine Swords. They know all the stances and manuvers at appropriate levels and may perform them by spending HP's in the same way as spell casting. These hp's cannot be healed exactly like spell casting and recquire rest. These cost more than spell casting according to the chart below.

Discipline Level * 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9
HP Cost * 3 5 7 9 11 13 15 17 19

I can't do spoiler tags :(

Last edited:

greywulf

First Post
Stances, huh? I really ought to crack open my Book of 9 Swords and figure it all out. Looks good!

Over on the Microlite20 forums I've started a webcomic called Sin20: The Life and Death of Callen Oncedark, complete with stats for characters and the monsters for Microlite20. The first eight pages are up, complete with stats for the Cave Troll Sentry, Daemonshade Snakes and Callen himself :)

GEEKAZOID

First Post
Contribution

Hey Greywulf, nice game.
I've been lurking for a while, but now have something to contribute.
I re-worked the character sheet form Races of Renown.
I think it may get some mileage. I've attached it to this post.

Enjoy

Attachments

• Microlite20 Player Character Record Sheet.pdf
    52.5 KB · Views: 544
Last edited:

dystmesis

First Post
Let's talk Microlite6.

Microlite20 using the d6 as the only die.

Anyone know any way this could be done, other than replacing 1d20 rolls with 3d6 and using the bellcurve system?

I'd actually like to make it so the resolution roll is 2d6, but this would require changing the entire system. Static DCs for things could be changed somewhat easily - for example, the default AC could be changed from 10 to say, 6. A bigger problem is modifiers.

On a roll of 1d20 against DC 20, there's about a 5% chance to succeed, and each +1 modifier increases the chance of success by 5%... But on a roll of 2d6 against DC 12, there's... what... 2.75% chance of success? And each +1 modifier increases the chance of success by... what?

Anyway, it becomes much, much more complicated...

Age of Fable

First Post
If you used 1d6 x 3 you wouldn't have to change any of the DCs or other factors, but the chance of very good or very bad results would be much higher (the opposite effect to using 2 or 3d6).

EDIT: It's only higher if you count a 1 as a critical miss and a 6 as a critical failure. Obviously you have a 1 in 6 chance of either, as opposed to 1 in 20.

If you don't use critical hits or misses the problem doesn't arise.

If you wanted to have roughly the same chance of a critical, you could roll the dice again on a 1 or 6, only counting a critical if the new roll is a 1 or 2. But that's probably too much work.

Last edited:

Elephant

First Post
On a roll of 2 or 3d6, each +1 modifier increases the chances of success by a variable amount - 2d6 vs. DC 12, there's one way to succeed (two sixes), but 2d6+1 vs. DC 12, you have three ways to succeed (two sixes, a five and a six, or a six and a five).

JDJblatherings

First Post
suggestions for d6 roll micorlite

calculate stat bonus as (stat-10)/4

divide all DCs by 3 (drop fractions). do the same for ACs. (AC 10 becomes AC 3. AC 20 becomes AC 6.)

a roll of 1 usually fails. unless someone is really good (bonus > DC) in which case they get to try again. (a second roll of 1 fails).

if you get a 6. roll another die and add it to the score. keep rolling if you keep rolling a 6 (don't keep adding a bonus).

class bonuses are just +1 instead of +3.

Remove ads