Would You Let a Halfling Rog1 Have this Magic Item?

Description

This plain and unadorned gold band grows or shrinks to fit the finger of its wearer. If exposed to fire, fine writing can be seen both inside and outside of its circle. The script is Elvish, but the language is that of Mordor.

Intelligent Item?

The One Ring should be regarded as having Intelligence 1 Wisdom 10 and Charisma 30. Its sentience – in the conventional sense of the word – is negligible: on a par with animals, perhaps. However, it possesses extraordinary force of ‘personality,’ for want of a better term.

Its alignment is Lawful Evil, although it bestows no negative levels upon its bearer, irrespective of his or her alignment. It cannot speak, or communicate in any other form with its bearer. It does, however, have a special purpose: Find Sauron. Its rudimentary perceptions of the environment around it will indicate when the most opportune moment for the Ring to ‘move on’ is, and at these moments it will attempt to place itself in a position which will bring it closer to its maker. It may slip off a finger, cause its wearer to don it and reveal himself, or suggest some other course of action which might expedite its return to Sauron. For all such purposes, the One Ring is considered to have an Ego score of 14.

Initial Contact with the One Ring

Any creature who views the One Ring for the first time must make a Will saving throw (DC 23), or be affected by a special suggestion. The exact nature of the suggestion varies according to the strength, status and disposition of those who see it. Typical suggestions might include:

“Sauron is destroyed. You are my rightful inheritor. Perhaps you should not consign me to the fire, but rather keep me.”

“It’s your Birthday! How dare your kinsman steal your present! You should do something about it.”

“Why not put me in your pocket? I might prove useful later.”

“If you wielded me, you could heal the hurts of Middle-Earth.”

“Why not take me? You could bury me deep in Minas Tirith, only to be used as a last resort against the Enemy.”

And so on. The suggestion is not framed in words, but rather manifests as a feeling or inclination. If the Will saving throw is successful, the subject is aware of his or her own desire for ownership, and may act to ignore it, avoid it, or let the Ring pass out of his or her provenance.

Each subsequent time that a creature views the Ring, he or she must make the saving throw again. Each time, the DC of the save increases by +1. If a creature at any time touches the Ring, the cumulative DC immediately increases by 10 points. Hobbits and Good creatures receive a +4 bonus to their Will saves to counteract this effect: for Good Hobbits, the bonuses are cumulative.

If the initial save is unsuccessful, the viewer need not act immediately, but may bide his or her time indefinitely, until an opportune moment to enact the suggestion occurs.
If the ring is removed from his or her vicinity for an extended length of time, he or she feels an overwhelming urge to be near it again, and unless he or she makes a further Will save (DC 24) is effectively under the effect of an indefinite geas to return to the Ring’s presence. If the Will save is successful, the suggestion effect is dispelled, and the subject may count his or her blessings.

Emotion

At crucial times, as indicated by the its perception of its environment and its special purpose (Find Sauron), the One Ring can effectively arouse a strong emotion in any person (including the bearer) who is in its immediate vicinity. The subject need not see the Ring for this to occur, but merely needs to be aware of its presence. The One Ring can evoke Hate in the subject, directed towards the Ring’s owner, Despair at the prospect of losing the Ring or the inevitability of Sauron locating it and punishing the subject (either in the owner himself, or in another who desires it but does not possess it), Fear in the owner that others desire to take the Ring by force, Rage in either the possessor or those who desire it, or any combination thereof.

The emotion effect lasts for 1d6 minutes. Against those already under the influence of its suggestion effect, no saving throw is allowed. Other subjects are entitled to a Will save, DC 24. After arousing emotion, the Ring falls quiescent for at least 1d20 days, although any suggestion effect remains in place. Hobbits and Good Creatures receive a +4 bonus to their Will saves to counteract this effect. Again, for Good Hobbits, the bonuses are cumulative.

“It draws them to me…”

Against the following divinations used by servants of the Enemy, or by Sauron himself, the One Ring acts as an Amulet of Inescapable Location: Locate Object, Locate Creature (the Ring’s bearer), Detect Evil, Detect Magic. For example, a Ringwraith – under the effect of a permanent enlarged Locate Object: The One Ring divination cast at 40th level - would be capable of perceiving its presence and direction within 6,000 feet.

Wearing the Ring

A creature who places the One Ring upon his finger, even for the briefest moment, enjoys the benefits of immortality from that point onwards – assuming that he or she does not already possess this quality. He or she becomes invisible, and enjoys the power of true seeing for as long as the Ring is worn. Incorporeal and ethereal creatures can interact freely with one wearing the One Ring.

Ownership of the Ring

Mortals who possess the One Ring for an extended period of time begin to suffer from its burden.

1. Every decade that passes with the Ring in his possession, the owner must make a Fortitude Save (DC 10 + the number of decades of ownership) or lose 1 point of Effective Constitution. All Creatures have an initial Effective Constitution equal to their Constitution score. Whilst the loss of Effective Constitution has no implications for hit points, saving throws, ability checks or skill checks, it represents a gradual shift towards undead status. When the owner reaches an Effective Constitution less than half his actual Constitution, he or she begins to display physical signs of the Ring’s power over him: emaciation, a dislike of bright light, a desire for raw flesh, and insatiable hunger. He or she gains the Blindsight special ability. When his Effective Constitution reaches zero, the owner’s actual Constitution also falls to zero, and he or she becomes a Wraith (MM, p.185). He retains any class levels that he may have possessed in life. Hobbits receive a +4 racial bonus to Saving Throws to counteract these effects at all stages. Elves and other immortals are immune to this effect.

2. For every decade of ownership that passes, the possessor must also make a Will Saving throw (DC 10 + the number of decades of ownership) or suffer an alignment shift one place towards Lawful Evil. If, for any reason, the owner reaches zero Constitution before he becomes Lawful Evil, his alignment immediately shifts to bring it into accord with his new undead status. Hobbits receive a +4 racial bonus to Saving Throws to counteract these effects. Elves are not immune to this effect.

Frequent Wearing of the Ring

If the Ring is donned more than an average of once per year in any ten-year period, the Save DC to resist its alignment-changing powers (but not its undead-bestowing qualities) increases by +2.

Activation of the Ring’s powers (detailed below), precipitate more radical changes in the owner.

Mastering the One Ring

Unlocking the Ring’s potential is a difficult task, and requires great strength of will. It cannot be immediately mastered, but its powers reveal themselves to the determined owner over a period of time. The One Ring’s abilities must be realized sequentially, and at each stage a progressively harder check is required. The following abilities can be utilized at will as a spell-like ability by the owner if the initial Will Saves are met:

DC21: Command
DC22: Hold Person
DC25: Dominate Person
DC29: Dominate Monster
DC35: Rulership

The Rulership function acts as the rod of the same name, but 100HD of creatures per hit die and/or character level of the owner may be affected. Once a power is mastered, at least one week must elapse before the next power may be attempted. If, at any stage in the process of unlocking its potential, the bearer fails his Will saving throw, his ability to master the Ring’s power is arrested, and may not progress further. The save DCs to resist the Ring’s effects are equal to the initial DCs to master them. Effective spellcaster level is 40th, where appropriate.

Once the Rulership function is mastered, the owner of the Ring enjoys the following benefits as long as the Ring is worn: a +10 insight bonus to AC, a +10 insight bonus to attacks, a +10 enhancement bonus to Charisma, a +10 insight bonus to all saving throws, +30 to all Intimidate skill checks and SR35. All spells cast by the owner are enlarged and intensified where appropriate, and the owner benefits from an effective Spellcraft increase of +100 when determining Epic Spellcasting. Furthermore, XP costs normally associated with casting Epic Spells are ignored, and the maximum ceiling advanced from 10,000 to 50,000XP.

The Price of Power

Any use of the Ring’s higher powers precipitates a Will saving throw with a DC equal to the difficulty class of the power mastered. If it fails, the owner begins an irreversible shift in Alignment towards Lawful Evil, a process that takes 1 month plus one month of the owner’s Charisma modifier.

Mortal owners suffer from a greatly hastened degeneration, and the frequency with which they must successfully save against the undead-bestowing properties of the ring increases to once per year, with every year which passes since the initial realization of one of the Ring’s higher powers adding a cumulative +1 to the DC of the Saving Throw.

Hobbits do not receive a +4 racial bonus against this effect.

Last edited:

7thlvlDM

Explorer
yes

Often, a great magical item, mentor, or form transfiguration can propel 1st lvl characters onto an epic (general use) adventure. Why let then wack at kobolds when you can start them combating on a world menace from the start?

Celebrim

Legend
That is actually an excellent treatment of The Ring, the best I've seen, and yes, if I as a DM was prepared to accept the consequences of a world breaking artifact, then sure, I'd give it to a first level halfling rogue. (Pity the poor halfling.)

I have only a few quibbles with this treatment.

First, Bilbo was hardly a 1st level halfling rogue.

At the start, I'd stat him as a say Ari2/Rog1. By the time he gets the ring, I'm thinking more like Ari2/Rog3. By the end of The Hobbit, I'd say he was somewhere between Ari2/Rog6 and Ari2/Rog8. By the time we meet him in Rivendell in FotR, he's probably an Ari2/Rog8/Exp2 (or so).

Secondly, the Ring offers one other power you don't mention - it enhances whatever power is native to you. I'd suggest that once you have worn the ring twice in any one year period, you gain the following so long as the ring remains in your possession:

a) A +2 bonus to your highest attribute.
b) A +4 insight bonus to the skill you have the most ranks in.
c) All racial bonuses to attributes and skills are doubled. For instance, a halflings normal racial bonuses are doubled to: +4 Dex, +2 racial bonus on all saving throws, +4 morale bonus versus fear, +2 racial attack bonus with a thrown weapon, and a +4 racial bonus on Listen, Climb, Jump, and Move Silently checks.
d) A +2 bonus to one attribute depending upon the class in which the bearer has the most levels at the time, as follows:

Fighter/Barbarian/Ranger/Aristocrat/Warrior: +2 STR
Rouge: +2 DEX
Commoner: +2 CON
Wizard: +2 INT
Expert/Cleric/Druid/Monk: +2 WIS
Bard/Paladin/Sorcerer: +2 CHR

e) All spells cast by the bearer are assumed to be +1 caster level.

The wearer of the ring was heavily enhanced even before he mastered it.

First, Bilbo was hardly a 1st level halfling rogue.

At the start, I'd stat him as a say Ari2/Rog1

FWIW, I agree. Would've had less impact as a thread title, though.

Secondly, the Ring offers one other power you don't mention - it enhances whatever power is native to you.

Excellent point! There is so much to consider, that its hard to keep track of it all.

On consideration, I'd also raise its effective Charisma (and Ego), the closer it gets to Mordor.

There is also the slight detail of being able to perceive the minds of everyone else who is wearing a Ring, which I'd forgotten.:rolleyes:

This is a first draft - I'm actually fishing for more ideas before I submit it to ColonelHardisson and his ME site.

Celebrim

Legend
Well, as long as we are fishing for ideas:

1) The above is good, but you might want to specify exactly what the purpose of the suggestions is as well as list examples of them. The purpose of the suggestions is always to further the rings special purpose, Return to Sauron. These suggestions therefore fall into four categories: a) suggestions to retain or gain ownership of the ring, b) temptations to use the ring so as to speed your corruption and make you more controllable by the ring, c) temptations to claim power for yourself (and thus make you more visible to Sauron) and d) suggestions to keep the ring safe from harm.

2) "It's been so growing on my mind lately..." When physically touched, the ring emanates a Sympathy spell to whomever touched it (DC 23, otherwise same as for suggestions, except that it is only cumulative +1 per year of ownership).

I agree that the CHR goes up as it nears its master, but that's probably a difficult thing to judge, +1 CHR per 50 miles closer than 400 miles? I don't know.

I also agree that it allows you to percieve the minds of the other ring wearers, and ultimately (once you master the ring) command the other rings of power as if you yourself were wearing them. However, I think this is a trained ability and not something you just get by wearing the ring. I'm inclined to think that Frodo's ability to percieve the mind of Galadriel was due to his high wisdom further increased by the native power enhancing aspect of the ring. Frodo was naturally perceptive, and so he became supernaturally perceptive as the possesser of the ring. He wasn't using Detect Thoughts (Ringbears) because he hadn't trained himself to master the ring, and in fact only evokes the rings greater powers specifically at one point in the story (when he lays the geas/curse on Gollum).

Last edited:

tleilaxu

First Post
Nice treatment Sep, but I have to ask: why did you choose LE for the Ring's alignment?

I'd say it is the definition of a NE entity if anything is. One of the ring's powers is to change the wielder to LE, but think about Gollum... if anything he is NE or CE...

Wolfspider

Explorer
Great description of the Ruling Ring. Would you consider submitting it to the D20 Middle Earch conversion site (see the link below) if you haven't already?

Good job.

I'd say it is the definition of a NE entity if anything is.

I agree, it's a tough one. I could go either way on this. My initial idea was to detail it as NE.

Would you consider submitting it to the D20 Middle Earch conversion site

That's the plan.

Anyone have any other ideas? Anything that I might have forgotten, that a d20 mechanic can represent?

Remove ads