D&D 4E My 4e Class design hubris: advice needed

ferratus

Adventurer
Here is my question. Will it be easier to remove references to arcane and divine magic in 4e than it was in 3e? What factors might make it easier or harder to remove the distinction between divine and arcane magic? Could I with a reasonable amount of work define magic by "magical tradition" (Necromancer, Druid, Oracle) rather than "magic type" (arcane, divine)?

Last edited:

Sir Brennen

Legend
I don't think we have any idea at this point. Off the top of my head, I'd say "No, it won't be easier" since Divine and Arcane as power sources and the way they affect classes might have even more differences than just what spells they cast.

However, your examples of Necromancer and Druid are probably not even Arcane/Divine... there have been hints that they will use the power sources of Shadow and Nature, respectively.

Greenfaun

First Post
Well, obviously we don't know enough to be sure yet, but I do think it will be easier to reorganize powers into new categories (that is what you want, right?)

We've seen that powers are based on character level, not a particular class, and seem fairly modular so far. So it seems like it will be somewhat easier to break them up than in 3.5, but not drastically easier than writing your own spell lists, which seems to be the equivalent.

Xethreau

Josh Gentry - Author, Minister in Training
Though there is no evidence to support this, it seems that Power Source is not a mechanic, but a guideline, for powers. IMO, one could reflavor a class and some powers, and name it a different power source. IE, one could change up a Wizard a little bit, add or remove some powers, repaint his mini, and say that he is a Grenadier (explosives expert) of the Martial Power Source, and still a controller with slightly different powers from the Wizard.

Also, it does seem that the Necromancer and Druid will be of the Shadow and Wild Sources respectively; "Races and Classes" describes how Divine and Arcane are not very good catch all categories.

Hope this helps.

Remove ads