Wizards: We want Class Power decks

Incenjucar

Legend
The obvious thing to do here is to just make a nice, simple tool that lets you fill in a sheet with the powers desired (so you don't have to waste paper on anything unwanted) from your books in the DI tools.

Failing that, we can just type in our own, but WotC could spruce things up a bit more and make it look good.

I don't think they'll bother to make "Power Cards" in complete decks, as it sounds like way too niche of a product. But I wouldn't object at all if they did.

Unless it was random, because random can go crawl up Orcus' loincloth and die.

Doug McCrae

Legend
Dragonblade said:
HELL NO! I am very pro 4e, but if WotC turns D&D into a CCG, I'm OUT.
Don't worry. They're so busy simultaneously turning it into an anime, a videogame, a wargame, an action movie, Exalted, Rifts and making it all about the rollplaying instead of the roleplaying that they have very little time left.

WhatGravitas

Explorer
Of course, that would be nice... otherwise I'm doing it myself! ;)

And WotC wouldn't go the CCG route, because it would alienate players immensely and clash with their virtual tabletop ("hey nifty, now I can copy all the stuff down"). Hard to unify that, and would severely limit their ways to produce adventures ("oops, don't have that card for that monster").

It worked with DDM, because it is a game on its own and because it was an accessory, i.e. you don't need it to play.

But as a non-collectible accessory with artwork? Sure, Dungeon Tiles are selling pretty well (and they're pretty cool as well).

Cheers, LT.

Set

First Post
Seems like a sensible thing. I'm surprised that they never really made it work in previous editions, given how many of us use Game Mechanic cards or just stuff statted up on index cards for our own convenience.

Dragonblade

Adventurer
Ulthwithian said:
In any event, I'm a huge supporter of power cards as game aids.

I'm totally cool with cards as a game aid. As long as the cards are only reprinting what is already in the books I buy. Heck, I'd probably buy those cards myself.

But if the class powers you get on cards are randomized, or if they do something awful like only offering new classes and powers via collectible randomized card packs, then I'm picking up a pitchfork and torch and heading to Renton.

Tusz

First Post
When I saw the way powers will work, I already decided I'd make some of these for myself. Design a card for each type of ability (/will, /encounter, /day, just so I know which ones to flip back over), print out some blank ones on cardstock, and write in my character's abilities on 'em when I make him.

That said, I probably wouldn't buy official ones that came in a deck with pre-printed with abilities on them. I'd feel obligated to buy the new set every time I got a new book, and that's a bit more than my college-budget can handle. I'd prefer they didn't put them in the books, as well, since I'd rather those pages be used to expand the actual content of the books. But if WotC put them up online, maybe with the PDFs as an encouragement to pay the little fee, then I'd probably go for that.

Greenfaun

First Post
Just to add my vote: Cards yes please, collectible hell no.

I'm happy to make the cards myself, but PDF's would be awesomely user-friendly. I guess we'll see.

TwinBahamut

First Post
Well, WotC already made a full set of cards for the Bo9S Maneuvers as a PDF on their website, so I imagine that they will do at least that for the new Powers.

While I didn't use the official cards, I did use cards to organize my maneuvers when I was playing my Warblade character, and it really helped a lot. I will almost certainly do the same when I play a character in 4E.

am181d

Adventurer
Incenjucar said:
I don't think they'll bother to make "Power Cards" in complete decks, as it sounds like way too niche of a product. But I wouldn't object at all if they did.

We still don't know what the 4e version of the OGL is going to look like, but this is the sort of thing that a third-party publisher like Paizo could knock out of the park (if WotC thinks it's too niche).

MaelStorm

First Post
Dragonblade said:
I'm totally cool with cards as a game aid. As long as the cards are only reprinting what is already in the books I buy. Heck, I'd probably buy those cards myself.

But if the class powers you get on cards are randomized, or if they do something awful like only offering new classes and powers via collectible randomized card packs, then I'm picking up a pitchfork and torch and heading to Renton.

I agree 100%. (particularly on the non-randomized aspect)

Remove ads