'Build' Madness.

Spatula

Explorer
Cthulhudrew said:
So nobody else is at all dismayed by the note that the new rules/customization options were so daunting that even veteran players needed some build notes to help them through the creation process?
Well I'm certainly not surprised. From ways back when they were talking about the 4e fighter and how they had different maneuvers for different kinds of weapons, it was pretty clear that 4e was going to be at least as complex as 3e in the options department. All the talk of "simplifying" was in regards to the DM's role, not the player's.

drothgery

First Post
Spatula said:
Well I'm certainly not surprised. From ways back when they were talking about the 4e fighter and how they had different maneuvers for different kinds of weapons, it was pretty clear that 4e was going to be at least as complex as 3e in the options department. All the talk of "simplifying" was in regards to the DM's role, not the player's.

For non-casters and just maybe spontaneous casters, it's looking more complex for players. I'd bet a lot that it's simpler for high-level wizards and clerics, though.

scrubkai

Explorer
If the issue here is picking the character's "Rogue Tactic" at first level... Let me repeat what was stated above. We have not seen close to the full list of rogue "powers" yet. It may well be possible that 95% of the powers are Tactic independent, so I wouldn't panic until we see the full set of rules.

If however the issue here is the word "Build", My take on this is that the developers are simply bowing to what they see as the most commonly used term for an example character.
Most everyone knows that term, so why try to fight what is so well established in the game community?

JohnSnow

Hero
Irda Ranger said:
Because this is the internet I'd like to nitpick this one little thing. I think making these skills automatic is at least in part (largely) to keep the archetype of the Rogue strong and to keep the conceptual difference between the Rogue and the Ranger at a comfortable difference, whose auto-skills may well be Stealth and Survival.

Well, I think you have a pretty good point. Keeping the Ranger and rogue conceptually distinct is probably a good thing.

Quite honestly, I think the classic "swashbuckler" is a fighter or warlord with rogue training or (perhaps) a rogue with fighter training. Although I'm beginning to wish they'd left the swashbuckler in the book to save us all the whining... ;)

Minor nitpick, I think the tracking function of survival has been subsumed under either "Nature" or "Perception" so the Ranger's auto-skills will be Nature and Stealth, Perception and Stealth, or perhaps Nature and Perception.

But it could be something whacky, like Perception and Athletics. ;)

Irda Ranger

First Post
JohnSnow said:
Minor nitpick, I think the tracking function of survival has been subsumed under either "Nature" or "Perception"
Agreed. In fact I think this is a pattern we will see repeated. I think many former class abilities / bonus feats (like Trap Finding and Tracking, but others too possibly) will come along "free" with being Trained in a Skill. That way if the Ranger gets auto-Trained in Survival and the Rogue gets auto-Trained in Thievery, that's functionally the same as 3E but also allows characters who aren't Rangers or Rogues to pick up those skills if you want a tracking Warlord or trap-finding Paladin.

WILD SPECULATION: Being trained in Athletics gets you Endurance for free! You heard it here first!

SSquirrel

Explorer
Cadfan said:
That is currently one of the great mysteries of the 4e rules.

I believe it's just 2x weapon damage + Dex. Just think about it like math class and call weapon damage x. Or w in this case ;) So if you're using a dagger and daggers do 1d4, you would do (1d4)x2+Dex. A short sword w/the same maneuver would be (1d6)x2+Dex

SSquirrel

Explorer
Spatula said:

Actually I believe they have said that one of their goals was simplifying the leveling up process, which they have definitely done if a "pick one of two" binary style of builds is really the way they are going. Which doesn't bother me really. "Starting character package" from 2E/3E did the same really. Many games have no real classes but provide templates or give a class outline then provide an example. That is all this is.

I will say one thing about the 4E forum. It's great for the post count ;)

Jonathan Moyer said:
I'd be interested in hearing what these people think of things like Heroic Paths in True20, which are exactly builds, only with a flowery name.
I hate them. I think they are a waste of space.

However, they are not aimed at me, and presumably some people find them useful.

Nytmare

David Jose
Irda Ranger said:
I think many former class abilities / bonus feats (like Trap Finding and Tracking, but others too possibly) will come along "free" with being Trained in a Skill.

You don't think that they're going to be feats that allow you to use the applicable skill for something extra? As an example, having "Trap Finding" as a feat that allowed you to use your perception (backed with maybe nature or dungeoneering where applicable) to find traps?

Remove ads