D&D 4E 4E ability scores

RigaMortus2

First Post
I keep reading here and there (most speculations AFAIK) that the ability scores no longer add to certain things. Like Dex doesn't add to your ranged attack roll, Str doesn't add to your melee attack roll, Con does not add to HPs, Int does not add to bonus skills. If this is the case, why have ability scores?

I hope this isn't so.

I know that nobody likes MAD classes, and classes where only 1 or 2 ability scores are "needed" can be overly specialized, but there has to be a happy medium other than heavily de-emphasizing ability scores altogether.

Perhaps each class can have 3 ability scores they focus in, and depending on your build, you would concentrate on that ability. A Paladin might have Str, Cha and Wis. If you want a melee-centric Paladin, go Str. If you want a spell-centric Paladin, pick Wis. If you want an Undead Turning or social Paladin, pick Cha as your main stat that your abilities are based off of.

Anyway, just a thought.

The main question is, is this fact or speculation that ability scores are being de-emphasized in 4E?

glass

(he, him)
RigaMortus2 said:
I keep reading here and there (most speculations AFAIK) that the ability scores no longer add to certain things. Like Dex doesn't add to your ranged attack roll, Str doesn't add to your melee attack roll, Con does not add to HPs, Int does not add to bonus skills. If this is the case, why have ability scores?

I hope this isn't so.
It isn't. We know that all the example attacks we have seen are listed as [Ability Score] vs [Defence]. You add an ability score to all attack rolls (which one depends on the kind of attack).

EDIT: And we also know the skills are keyed to ability scores, so it is reasonable to presume that ability scores add to skills just like they did in 3.x, and we know Str adds to damage a lot of the time (from the creatures, and the rogue and paladin-smite articles.

EDIT2: Int AFAWK doesn't add give you extra skills (AFNaB, IMO), but Con does add to hp -just once rather than multiplied by your level.

glass.

Last edited:

Dragonblade

Adventurer
RigaMortus2 said:
The main question is, is this fact or speculation that ability scores are being de-emphasized in 4E?

No. However, the ability scores that a particular class needs to be effective are reduced and now dependent entirely on the class.

For example, paladin powers are probably based almost entirely off CHA and WIS. Not STR. So I'm guessing that a lot of paladin powers, including at-will powers, use these abilities to determine their attack bonus and their damage bonus.

Therefore, a paladin no longer needs a high STR to be an effective melee combatant. This avoids the problem of earlier editions where the paladin would need multiple high scores in three abilities to be really effective.

Styracosaurus

Explorer
It seems some ability scores will be reduced in effect and others will receive a bump. I am curious if we will still need a stat score of 10+X to cast a X-level spell.

Sir Brennen

Legend
Also note that while the CON bonus doesn't add directly to HP, it does add to the number of healing surges, which essentially gives you more HP, but without the front-end inflation.

Carnivorous_Bean

First Post
Since every power shown for character classes thus far (for paladins and rogues) have their effects based heavily on a statistic, I wouldn't worry too much.

wedgeski

Adventurer
Henry said:
Multiple Ability Dependency -- needing multiple high scores to work well.
I thought it stood for Mutually Assured Destruction. This thread and others like it now make much more sense!

mhensley

First Post
Styracosaurus said:
It seems some ability scores will be reduced in effect and others will receive a bump. I am curious if we will still need a stat score of 10+X to cast a X-level spell.

I hope not. I hate the fact that practically every wizard is Einstein and every Cleric is Gandhi.

Remove ads