The Continuing Adventures of the Knights of the Silver Quill

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dr Midnight

Explorer
camplogo2.gif

This is the new thread for the Knights' adventures on the new ENboards.

To read the entire story up until now, click here.

To read Volume I (on old ENboards with reader comments), click here.

To read Volume II (on old ENboards with reader comments),click here.

To read Volume III (on old ENboards with reader comments), click here.

MOST RECENTLY: two thirds of the party was lost to the machinations of the Temple of All-consumption. The two remaining heroes, Dartan and Menerous Maximus, find four new companions in Verbobonc and travel back to the Temple.

Last edited:

Dr Midnight

Explorer
Just to recap...

Session 31
Moonday, 24th of Suns'ebb
THE INNER FANE

Menerous and Dartan walked for three days in the snowy woodlands east of Rastor and the Temple. Serene led them onwards toward a city she'd seen from high in the sky, once. When they crested a hill and looked over it, they were impressed. Here was a rather large city- almost as large as Greyhawk itself, Dartan noted- with thirty-foot wooden walls lining the entire edge. The wooden planks were mortared in place and tied tight. A high gate blocked the way into the city. Several armed guardsmen stood by the gate and reacted with alarm on sight of the two Knights. "Halt! Drop your weapons, announce your name, and step forward!" one shouted. Dartan and Menerous did as they were told.

They man approached them under heavy crossbow cover and looked them over. "What's your business in Verbobonc?"

Menerous answered "We seek new companions for an ongoing quest."

The man nodded and said "All right, collect your weapons and enter freely. However, know that we aren't tolerating any religious malcontents. If you're holy men fleeing the area to the west, you're welcome here, but if you start trouble... we'll end it. Understood?"

The two Knights said yes, they understood. They were allowed into the city. Icy cobbled streets twisted and turned through a bustling cityscape. Merchants and free people did business with smiles and open doors. "Nice place," Menerous said. "First item of business is we find a decent weapons shop." A passing pedestrian overheard and pointed them towards Ohanna Steelworks, just three blocks away.

On entering Ohanna Steelworks, a bell rang above the door and a mustachioed man stepped from the back room, wiping his sooty hands with a cloth. "Welcome, friends," he said. "What can I do for you?"

"We're looking to offload some items, or trade up," Menerous said. He took the Air sword from his pack and laid it on the table.

The man whistled and picked it up. "That's a beauty. Where'd you get a blade like this?"

"It's something we uncovered in the Air section of the Temple of All-Consumption." At the man's confused glance, Menerous added "...a part of the Temple of Elemental Evil." At this, the man's face froze.

"You... what are you doing fussing around those parts?" the man said. "Everyone knows the Temple of Elemental Evil's been defunct for over a decade now."

"Not anymore. Tharizdun's followers are taking another go at it."

The man looked utterly confused. "Son, the Temple of Elemental Evil had nothing TO DO with Tharizdun. I should know- I was one of the adventurers who was there. Twelve years ago, I delved in with an adventuring party. Only I lived. I gave it up and came back here, for my daughters' sake. No point running around getting killed when you've got kin at home. Anyway, you're thinking Iuz and Zuggtmoy." Menerous sighed. Dartan quickly brought the man up to speed on the goings-on with the Temple. His face paled.

"...so here we are in Verbobonc," Dartan finished. "looking for new adventuring companions."

The man thought for a moment and said "If what you say is true, you're going to need someone who can organize some heavy-hitters in just a short while." The two nodded. "Well, then, I suggest you go to the local tavern."

Menerous said "What, just go into the nearest tavern and look for the mysterious man seated in the dark rear corner?"

"Yes and no. The 'man' will be my daughter, Katya. She frequents the Stove & Keg tavern. She knows people, and is likely to acquaint you with the adventuring types you seek."

Dartan and Menerous thanked him, traded some old weapons for a mightily enchanted new longsword, and left for the tavern.

They found the Stove & Keg easily enough. They opened the door and stepped inside. The tavern was populated with all manner of patrons. They stepped to the bar and ordered drinks, then found the woman in the dark rear corner of the tavern. The woman was cowled and wore a rapier on her belt. She stroked a cat that had curled up at the center of the table. "Katya Ohanna?" Menerous asked.

She lifted her head. "Yes?"

"Your father recommended we come and see you."

She lowered her cowl. Auburn hair spilled around her shoulders and cool green eyes looked them both over. "Sit," she said. They sat.

Menerous began. "He said you might be able to find some adventurers to fill out our group. Recently we took some heavy losses. We're spending time here in Verbobonc recuperating and recruiting new swords." He proceeded to give her the summary of their exploits with the Temple. Her eyes glinted.

She spoke. "You say the Temple and Tharizdun are directly related to the Eye of Heironeous?" Menerous nodded. Katya continued "Well, then. That would certainly explain some things. You might notice something, if you look about the room." They looked. For a moment it didn't make sense, and then it came together- there was a large number of tavern patrons wearing holy robes and wearing symbols. Almost every major religion in the Flanaess was represented here.

"Why...?" Menerous began.

"Because the Eye of Heironeous- and several other religions- have been recently using mob tactics to strongarm anyone they view as a 'heretic'. Many holy men and women have fled here to Verbobonc, where the religions of this 'Elemental Eye' have not yet taken root. This city has become host to thousands of weary travelers. I'm certain I know of a few who would like to take part in your quest. In fact, I can recommend two right now. Vek and Jettok would almost certainly enjoy a role in your adventure."

Dartan sneered. "What the hell is a Jettok?"

She smiled. "A Jettok is about four-foot-four of mean dwarven attitude, wielding a battleaxe. He's a follower of Kord. Vek- or Sir Vek, I should say, I don't know much about. He's a curious traveler who drifted into town a few days ago. Good conversationalist, and a deadly sword, if you hear him tell it. They're right here- I'll go fetch them both."

She stood and walked away, towards a dwarf at the bar entertaining listeners. The dwarf roared with laughter as he told his story. "So I cut the damn fool troll's head off! What happens? Grows right back!"

"What'd you do?" one listener asked.

"Cut it off again!" Jettok said. The crowd burst out laughing. Katya leaned over his shoulder and whispered into his ear. The dwarf nodded brusquely and stood.

Katya walked to another patron. This man sat alone at a table sipping at a thin glass of absinthe. He wore coal-black armor and had a shield leaning against his chair. The shield had a horrid vampire face carved into it- the fangs extended from the shield like spikes. When Katya spoke to him he smiled and nodded politely, then stood and followed them over. Menerous' blood chilled when he saw the holy symbol hanging about the man's neck. It was a stylized skull set within a wreath of flames. The symbol of Wee Jas, dark goddess of death and magic.

Katya stood and spoke. "Menerous Maximus and Dartan, may I present Jettok Taklin and Sir Vek Mormont."

More to come...

Lazybones

Adventurer
Glad you made it over, Doc, the new Story Hour just wouldn't be complete without KotSQ!

Looking forward to another great thread of action, drama, triumph, pathos, and betrayal...

Lazybones aka Faulpelz

Rel

Liquid Awesome
I hereby dub the KotSQ a five star story hour.

Keep up the good work, Doc.

...Well, I thought I was dubbing it a five star story hour. I've clicked on that rating twice now and it isn't showing up in the rating column. Anyhow, it is a great story hour regardless of whether the rating shows up or not.

Attachments

• poison1.jpg
    poison1.jpg
    533.5 KB · Views: 20,819
  • poison2.jpg
    poison2.jpg
    586.1 KB · Views: 10,739
Last edited:

Dawn

First Post
Yes. I was looking for KotSQ on the new boards.

Looks like there is new blood for the Temple!

Dr Midnight

Explorer
Vek saw Menerous staring at his holy symbol with disdain and smiled. He leaned forward, extending his hand and grinning wide. "Very pleased to meet you, Menerous." The cleric of Pelor cringed and shook his hand, disgusted at the touch. Vek seemed to enjoy the discomfort he was causing. He, Jettok and Katya sat again.

Dartan said "Mormont? Why is that name familiar? Menerous, wasn't that the name of that house we destroyed up north? The one with the undead?"

Menerous stared and said "I'd have no idea- I wasn't with the group at the time." Dartan nodded, sadly.

"So you were the one who destroyed the house," Vek said.

Dartan turned to him. "Yes, we spent a night there. Burned the house down before we left."

"Then it seems I WILL be traveling with you. I owe you a great favor for breaking the curse that my ancestor's betrayal left upon the land. My sword is at your service."

Menerous said "We accept you into the group. Times are tough, we can't be picky." The two locked eyes for a moment.

Jettok said "I as well would most certainly join your company. I left my clan's grounds because of the influence of 'the Eye of Kord', an upstart new faction. They work with trolls. With TROLLS, by Grimthul's beard! I left and overheard some lute player singing about an adventuring group that had been locked in struggle with the Temple and their 'evil eye' or what-have-you. I've been on my way to Hommlet to find you, and here you fall into my lap!" he laughed. "Serving girl, get us another round!"

"So that's four," Dartan said. "We need at least one more. Who else would you suggest?"

Katya cleared her throat. "I was thinking I might go along."

"You? What can you do?"

She looked insulted. "I could put this rapier through your eye, for one. I can cast spells and weave the arcane threads. It's a gift I inherited from my father. Besides, he was an adventurer in the Temple twelve years ago. I consider it my bloodline's unfinished duty to pick up where he left off." Menerous and Dartan had no problems with that. The group was forged anew. Katya continued "Excellent. Shall we be off, then? I'd like to leave town before-"

The door to the tavern opened. A woman in gleaming plate armor stood outside. Her reddish hair shone with the fading sun. On her shoulder was Serene the owl.

Katya's face fell. "Damn it," she said under her breath. She pulled up her cowl, but it was too late- she was seen. Serene flew over to the table and landed next to the cat, who hissed and jumped into Katya's arms. The woman in armor walked over to the group. Katya looked up, annoyed. "What are you doing here, DEAR sister?"

Looking at the new woman, the resemblance was clear. Her hair was the same flowing auburn, her skin the same freckled cream, her eyes the same greenish hazel. The woman's proud posture and demeanor, however, stood out in contrast against Katya's own. "I'm not here to interfere in your shady dealings," she said. "I came across this owl. It appears to be the animal companion of a woman I've met before and befriended- Hannah, her name was. I was wondering if the owl would take me to her."

Menerous said "Hannah... passed away recently in our ongoing struggle with the Temple of Elemental -OW!" Katya had kicked him in the shin. Her face was tense.

"...Evil?" the woman finished. "I mourn Hannah's passing. She seemed too good a person to survive in this world. Are you recruiting new members? Katya, you knew I would want a chance to complete father's quest. For shame. My name is Kyla Ohanna. But give me the chance, and I will wield Pelor's might for you."

Menerous shook her hand, happy to have another follower of the Shining One. "We would be honored to welcome a fellow Pelor worshiper."

"A party of four clerics," Vek said to Dartan. "Interesting."

Dartan looked confused. He counted only Menerous, Kyla, and Jettok. Vek must have miscounted. "I'm not a cleric," he said to Vek.

"I am."

"Oh."

Katya sat, watching her goody-goody older sister charm and befriend the party. She petted her cat and said "Looks like we'll have 'Kyla the Pure' watching our every step again, Lucky." The apathetic cat lay dozily in her lap being petted. Katya continued to sulk beneath her hood. "She always ruins my fun."

More to come...

Thorntangle

First Post
Voting requires a critical mass, a certain number of votes before the rating shows up. Doc will get his 5 stars soon.

Rel said:
...Well, I thought I was dubbing it a five star story hour. I've clicked on that rating twice now and it isn't showing up in the rating column. Anyhow, it is a great story hour regardless of whether the rating shows up or not.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Upcoming Releases