D&D Experience: Two Page Spreads on Display

Zoatebix

Working on it
I hadn't seen this piece of information anywhere, so I figured I'd post it here:

In a glass case, along with a Fire Giant and a few other miniatures, Wizards was showing off a pair of two-page spreads. On display was a proof of pages 176 and 177 of the Player's Handbook and pages 36 and 37 of the Monster Manual.

The Player's Handbook sample showed the beginning of the chapter on Skills. If I recall correctly, the right-hand page was a full-page illustration and the left-hand page was chapter heading and copy. There was no rules information, however.

The pages from the Monster Manual, on the other hand, had full write-ups for the Bodak and the Boneclaw. I did not have a camera on me, but I did take a few notes as far as creature type goes. The Bodak is a "Medium Shadow Humanoid (Undead), and the Boneclaw is a "Large Shadow Animate (Undead)." Hopefully someone out there can add to this information.

Zoatebix

Working on it
Sadly, I never paged through the MMIII, so I can't tell you. The Bodak's look was not a big departure from it's 3e design- I can say that I prefer the 4th Edition artist's rendering.

I just now noticed that Xath has a blurry picture of the Monster Manual spread up on her Picasa gallery: http://picasaweb.google.com/gertiebarden/MonsterStats/photo#5172537887368363346 Edit: Neat! From the time-stamp, that picture was taken while I was Delving with a bunch of strangers: "Black Jimmy" Crystal (Krystal?), Mike, Joe, James, and Chris Perkins. I think I saw Xath take that picture!

Last edited:

hbarsquared

Quantum Chronomancer
All right, this is the best I can do.

BODAK

Bodaks are heartless creatures that kill for the sake of killing, serving their own desires or the desires of an even crueler master.
Bodak Skulk
Medium shadow humanoid (undead)
Level 16 Lurker
XP 1,400

Initiative +16
Senses Perception +10; darkvision

Agonizing Gaze (Fear, Necrotic) aura 5; a creature in the aura that makes a melee or ranged attack against the bodak skulk takes 5 necrotic damage before the attack roll is made and takes a -2 penalty to the attack roll.

HP 124; Bloodied 62
AC 29, Fortitude 29, Reflex 27, Will 29

Immune disease, poison; Resist 15 necrotic; Vulnerable 5 radiant; a bodak skulk that takes radiant damage cannot weaken a target until the end of its next turn.

Speed 6

Slam (standard; at-will) * Necrotic
+21 vs. AC; 1d6 + 5 damage plus 2d6 necrotic damage, and the target is weakened until the end of the bodak skulk's next turn.

Death Gaze (standard; encounter) * Necrotic
Range 10; targets a living creature; +19 vs. Fortitude; If the target is weakened, it is reduced to 0 hit points; otherwise, the target takes 1d6 + 6 necrotic damage and loses 1 healing surge.

Spectral Form (standard; at-will)
The bodak skulk turns invisible and gains the insubstantial and phasing qualities. It can do nothing but move in spectral form, and it can return to its normal form as a free action.

Alignment Evil
Languages Common

Str 21 (+13) Dex 19 (+12) Wis 15 (+10)
Con 22 (+14) Int 6 (+6) Cha 23 (+14)
Bodak Skulk Tactics
The bodak skulk approaches undetected using spectral form and then waits for an opportunity to gain combat advantage. When it's poised to attack, the bodak reverts to normal form and attempts to weaken a foe with its slam attack. It fixes its death gaze on the first enemy it weakens.

Bodak Reaver
Medium shadow humanoid (undead)
Level 18 Soldier
XP 2,000

Initiative +16
Senses Perception +17; darkvision

Agonizing Gaze (Fear, Necrotic) aura 5; a creature in the aura that makes a melee or ranged attack against the bodak skulk takes 5 necrotic damage before the attack roll is made and takes a -2 penalty to the attack roll.

HP 175; Bloodied 87
AC 31, Fortitude 31, Reflex 30, Will 31

Immune disease, poison; Resist 20 necrotic; Vulnerable 5 radiant; a bodak skulk that takes radiant damage cannot weaken a target until the end of its next turn.

Speed 5

Greataxe (standard; at-will) * Necrotic, Weapon
+23 vs. AC; 1d12 + 6 damage (crit 2d12 + 18) plus 1d8 necrotic damage, and the target is dazed and weakened (save ends both).

Death Gaze (standard; encounter) * Necrotic
Range 10; targets a living creature; +20 vs. Fortitude; If the target is weakened, it is reduced to 0 hit points; otherwise, the target takes 1d6 + 6 necrotic damage and loses 1 healing surge.

Death Drinker * Healing
If a living creature is reduced to 0 hit points within 5 squares of the bodak reaver, the reaver gains a +1 bonus to attack rolls until the end of it's next turn as well as 15 temporary hit points.

Alignment Evil
Languages Common

Str 22 (+15) Dex 21 (+14) Wis 16 (+12)
Con 23 (+15) Int 10 (+9) Cha 23 (+15)
Bodak Reaver Tactics
This bodak reaver wades into combat wielding its greataxe and taking advantage of its agonizing gaze. A bodak reaver will sometimes slay an allied minions to reap the benefits of its death drinker power.

Bodak Lore
A character knows the following information with a successful Religion check.
DC 20: Bodaks are undead humanoids with strong ties to the Shadowfell. Its visage is so ghastly that it can kill with a look.
DC 30: When a nightwalker slays a humanoid, that nightwalker can ritually transform the slain creature's body and spirit into a bodak. The bodak then acts at the nightwalker's behest, serving whomever its master dictates.

Encounter Groups
An enslaved bodak collaborates with other shadow or undead creatures.
Level 18 Encounter (XP 10,000)
- 2 bodak reavers (level 18 soldier)
- 1 cambion hellfire magus (level 18 artillery)
- 2 slaughter wights (level 18 brute)

BONECLAW

Boneclaws are magically constructed undead built to hunt and slay the living. Liches, deathpriests of Orcus, shadar-kai necromancers, and other vile individuals use them as guards and agents. Their skewerlike claws contract and extend from moment to moment, sometimes instantly reaching a length of 10 feet or more before slowly contracting.
Boneclaw
Large shadow animate (undead)
Level 14 Soldier
XP 1,000

Initiative +15
Senses Perception +13; darkvision

HP 136; Bloodied 68; see also necrotic pulse
AC 30, Fortitude 24, Reflex 27, Will 25

Immune disease, poison; Resist 20 necrotic; Vulnerable 5 radiant

Speed 8

Claw (standard; at-will)
Reach 3; +20 vs. AC; 1d12 + 6 damage.

Necrotic Pulse (immediate reaction, when first bloodied; encounter) * Healing, Necrotic
Close burst 10; undead allies in the burst regain 10 hit points, and enemies in the burst take 10 necrotic damage.

Relentless Opportunist
If the boneclaw hits with an opportunity attack, it makes another opportunity attack against the same target the next time it provokes during its current turn.

Threatening Reach
The boneclaw can make opportunity attacks against all enemies within reach (3 squares).

Alignment Evil
Languages Common
Skills Intimidate +16, Stealth +18

Str 17 (+10) Dex 23 (+13) Wis 12 (+8)
Con 16 (+10) Int 10 (+7) Cha 18 (+11)
Tactics
A boneclaw impales foes with its claws, relying on its threatening reach to discourage enemies from fleeing.

Lore
A character knows the following information with a successful Religion check.
DC 20: Boneclaws are intelligent undead constructs that enjoy hunting and slaying living creatures.
DC 25: One creates a boneclaw by means of a dark ritual that binds a powerful evil soul to a specially prepared amalgamation of undead flesh and bone. The exact ritual is a closely guarded secret known only to a handful of liches and necromancers. Cabals that wish to possess the knowledge of boneclaw creation have resorted to diplomacy, theft, and clandestine warfare to acquire the ritual.
DC 30: Although rumor holds that the first boneclaws were created by a powerful lich in the service of Vecna, the truth is that a coven of hags led by a powerful night hag named Grigwartha created the first boneclaw over a century ago. They invented a ritual that combines the flesh and bones from ogres along with the trapped soul of an oni. Although the materials can vary, the ritual is the same among those who know it.
DC 35: Grigwartha trades her knowledge of the boneclaw creation ritual for favors she can later call upon. As such, she has a vast network of individuals and creatures that owe her a debt for the ritual.

Encounter Groups
Boneclaws can appear in any setting, always serving evil. They act as guardians, soldiers, and even assassins.
Level 14 Encounter (XP 5,000)
- 2 boneclaws (level 14 soldier)
- 1 lich (level 14 elite controller)
- 1 shield guardian (level 14 soldier)

Last edited:

fafhrd

First Post
Today I learned that glasses are no substitute for innate visual acuity. I'm amazed by those of you who've transcribed these statblocks. Spot check indeed.
*Hats off*

wedgeski

Adventurer
WHAT? You got all that from those blurry images? What are you, an alien!?

/salute to you sir.

And er, thanks, by the way.

Sonny

Adventurer
Actually it's quite easy to read if you download them and then open and zoom using your favorite imaging program.

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Recent & Upcoming Releases