D&D 4E Raiders of Oakhurst: A 4E Fan Playtest Adventure

Dragonbait

Explorer
Ran Raiders for my group and had a lot of fun.

However...

Is there some place I can go to get the 4e rules? We got confused when it came to healing surges vs. Second Wind; When do PCs suffer from lingering effects of the acid damage caused by the dragon? Do they take acid damage before a save is made? How does the recharge work on the staff and dragon? Do I roll a d6 at the beginning of a round for each ability, or do I roll once and treat that result for all abilities? Is shifting a Minor action, or a move action?
It was the little stuff that I didn't know.

I ran it this weekend for a friend's 30th birthday party. Here's the quick breakdown of player reactions:

1 Super Experienced Player: Went with the Wizard. Complained about some of the usual things - too much like World of Warcraft, don't like grids and minis, and so forth. Conversely, however, once he began playing he really really got into it. After the game he kept calling me to check up on details and create further plans. He didn't say it but I think he will do anything to be in a campaign of this sort. I also think he was both secretly pleased and disconcerted that fighter types rock now.

2 Semi-Experienced Players: Went with Ranger and Cleric. They asked the most questions about their powers and had the most trouble keeping track of what their abilities were. On the other hand, they also made the most creative use of their powers. Thinking back on it I think this was best I'd seen either of them play.

1 Semi-Novice: Went with the Warlock. She'd played Saga before and WOW but nothing else. She loved it. As the game went on I could see her eyes begin to glow and she really got into character. Some features of the class were really hard for her to pick up, others simply took a while, and some she picked up so quickly that she functionally became the most proficient user of the powers system.

1 Experienced DM: I ran it without minis or maps and, oddly enough, I think it was easier for me to do that than it was with 3.5. The simplified attack of opportunity rules were the big time saver here I'd guess as were the passive skill checks. I did have trouble remembering all of the layered conditions without better visual aids, but I think that's a problem I can solve easily.

The monsters were actually fun to use. Particularly the Hobgoblins, and the players were so into it that I couldn't help but have a good time. It was also nice to see that the new game had a real leveling effect. All of the players were involved all of the time and at the same pace. And they were tough/resilient enough that both I and the players could get enjoyment out of tricking their players or screwing them over.

I'll post more details later, but I absolutely wanted to thank Olgar for the fine contribution to our weekend.

Xorn

First Post
Emirikol said:
Great job with this one. I'm looking forward to running it as a pick-up game on RPTools' MAPTOOLS for some of the kids over at the WotC boards ;) http://rptools.net/doku.php

It might be an interesting one to run at I_Convention 2008 too! http://www.iconvention.org/

Jay

Oh man, that is a FANTASTIC idea! (I've actually input all of the powers into a Fantasy Grounds module! Even the powers are in a custom spells database I added.) I might have to see about getting involved with i-Con08 now, because I had so much fun running this adventure, and I only see it getting better.

My players have actually talked about running it again, with different characters (and I keep changing it up a bit each time).

AllisterH

First Post
Dragonbait said:
Ran Raiders for my group and had a lot of fun.

However...

Is there some place I can go to get the 4e rules? We got confused when it came to healing surges vs. Second Wind; When do PCs suffer from lingering effects of the acid damage caused by the dragon? Do they take acid damage before a save is made? How does the recharge work on the staff and dragon? Do I roll a d6 at the beginning of a round for each ability, or do I roll once and treat that result for all abilities? Is shifting a Minor action, or a move action?
It was the little stuff that I didn't know.

I think the appendix handout which is linked in the 4E Updates page answers all these questions.

@Nebulous: That is freaking awesome! Looking forward to the "To be continued"!

Anyone doing Fear the Con in St Louis? Love to see a table for Raiders there (no, I won't be there; it's half a country away).

@Dragonbait:

Is there some place I can go to get the 4e rules?

See the Quick Play Rules in the first post, which should help some.

We got confused when it came to healing surges vs. Second Wind;

Healing surges are used outside of combat as much as needed. In combat, a Second Wind can be used once per character per encounter, and uses one healing surge, plus grants +2 to all defenses for 1 round. Some character powers (lay on hands, cleric healing) use healing surges as well.

When do PCs suffer from lingering effects of the acid damage caused by the dragon? Do they take acid damage before a save is made?

Not sure officially, but I'd have the PCs suffer the damage at the start of their turn. The save to end the effect comes at the end of each turn.

How does the recharge work on the staff and dragon? Do I roll a d6 at the beginning of a round for each ability, or do I roll once and treat that result for all abilities?

Again, not sure officially, but for simplicity I just rolled one d6 once each round. If you don't mind the additional rolls, you could just as easily roll once for each item to recharge.

Is shifting a Minor action, or a move action?

It's a move action, except for the kobolds, whose Shifty ability allowss them to shift as a minor action.

Edit: Shoot, now I learn Fear the Con was last weekend. Oh well.

Last edited:

Thattanguy

First Post
With some luck I'll run this for my crew out here in Hawai'i on Friday. I'll let you know what we think. From reading the mod and prior posts I can see them enjoying it.

Daniel

Edit: I'm going to try and run a mini-intro series using Second Son, Return of the Burning Plague and finishing with Raiders of Oakhurst. Kinda build one into the next and finish, appropriatly, with the Dragon. ;) This process will take the characters to level 2 if they manage to beat the dragon, which seems like a good stopping point since theres no info I can see about how to level in the new system. "Congrats, you hit level 2, now you can retire. Have a cookie." :D

Last edited:

Xorn

First Post
I rolled the recharges separately, because getting back all their powers at once could really suck (or a 1 meaning nothing come back could really stink, too).

fuindordm

Adventurer
Yet another report

Thanks for the nice adventure! I ran it for some of my regular group last night, and we had a blast. Here's the play-by-play:

There were three players, so I gave each one two characters.

They made no attempt at stealth, just marching down the entrance tunnel with the paladin in the lead. As soon as they saw the room, a gong rang and they heard the clatter of caltrops hitting the floor. No one bothered to light a lantern, so the room was dim for most characters. The caltrops came into play a couple of times, but were only a minor annoyance.

The paladin moved aside to let other PCs come up, ending up right in front of Ichi-Ichi's alcove. A very poor perception check on his part let Ichi hit him with a nasty backstab on round 2. The Minions were dropping like flies, and did a good job of keeping the PCs busy while the rest of the complex reacted. Finding himself all alone with no adjacent opponents, one minion gibbered with fear and ran to warn Meepo.

The dwarf chased after, running into Pik and Otto on their way to join the fight. She took some damage, but resolved that fight quickly enough--the fighter easily thwarted their attempts to flank her, and cleaved through the pair a couple of times. When Pik fell, Otto ran to the throne room.

Meanwhile, Ichi-Ichi had survived by hiding in the back ranks and now fled upriver. The ranger, warlock, and wizard shot after him, rolling terribly. Before they could cross the pool, Varsuke showed up to see who had invaded his domain. V. started by zapping the wizard with his Force Lance and sliding him into the deep water of the pool. The ranger used his Fey Step to get across the water and attacked with his sword, cutting him slightly. V. dodged a couple of ranged attacks, then used his Force Pulse to damage 4 characters and knock two of them prone (not the ranger, unfortunately). Having taken their measure, he then ran upriver to rejoin his allies.

By this time the dwarf had chased Otto and the minion into the throne room. As she advanced, Ix jumped her from behind and got off a nasty bite. Suddenly surrounded and flanked, the player used Tide of Iron very effectively to swap places with Otto and put all three enemies in front of her (no more flanking)! The paladin, coming to the rescue, zapped Ix with his "On Pain of Death" power for a brutal 28 damage; with an extra 1d8 from his challenge, and one Holy Strike later, the spider collapsed in a shriveled heap. Otto surrendered and told the party about the hobgoblins, then picked up Pik's body and escaped into the woods.

The ranger and warlock chased Varsuke a bit, but retreated when they caught a glimpse of the room ahead and a couple of arrows flew towards them down the corridor.

The whole party regrouped in the first chamber and took their 5-minute rest. The cleric had used Healing Word twice in that encounter--once on the Paladin and once on the Wizard (who had been badly hurt by Varsuke's spells). Most of the PCs were only down one or two healing surges after the rest, and only one Daily power had been used.

----

The party moved upriver until they could see the hobgoblins' room; in the dim lighting, they could tell that a barricade had been erected in the middle. They advanced cautiously, trading missile fire with the archers and generally getting the worst of it. (I gave the hobgoblin archers a +2 cover bonus to AC and Reflex.) The ones who spoke Goblin heard Varsuke muttering "Let them approach, so my magic can destroy them once and for all!"
(V. doesn't have any long-range powers.)

Eventually they got close enough for the wizard to drop a Force Orb behind the table, which severely injures one of the archers and prompts Varsuke to take his place. The dwarf and paladin move across the river and the party spreads out a bit, while a hobgoblin soldier comes forward to engage the dwarf. After trading blows, the hobgoblin is bloodied and calls for backup. Varsuke uses his Force Lance again, this time sliding the dwarf 2 squares away from the party towards a second solder and Ichi hiding in the shadows.

"Shoot this warlock down for me!" Varsuke cries. With the dwarf out of the way, both archers stand up and shoot the warlock, who does indeed drop. In the same round, the dwarf is surrounded by three opponents and badly wounded; on his last turn he uses an action point to gain Second Wind, takes down the first soldier, and bloodies Ichi... but it's not enough. The second soldier's counterattack drops him, and Ichi stabs the prone dwarf for good measure. "We got one, we got one!" the kobold shrills, bouncing in excitement.

Things were starting to look bad--the party had been concentrating fire on Varsuke for several rounds but rolling poorly. The ranger tried using Split the Tree, but rolled a 5 and a 4. At this point, however, the cleric uses her Cascade of Light (daily) to burn Varsuke and both archers--hitting only the severely wounded one (taking it down) but damaging all three. In anger, Varsuke finally leaves his cover to get in range for a Force Pulse--but rolls badly, knocking only one PC prone (but also the remaining soldier and Ichi-Ichi). The soldier curses at the wizard, but moves over to protect him. The combined efforts of the cleric and paladin manage to get the Warlock back in the action, and she douses Varsuke with Witchfire. The hobgoblin leader has no time to recover or flee... the cleric finishes him with a Sacred Flame attack, and he suddenly collapses in a pile of ash.

Seeing this, Ichi flees upriver again. The remaining soldier dukes it out with the paladin and dies, and the archer drops his bow and surrenders. Except for losing the dwarf, everyone is in good health and still has several healing surges. In this battle, however, they used up most of their dailies; I think only the Warlock had his left.

That's where we had to call in a night. I chatted with group for a while afterwards, and got the following comments:

Everyone agreed that combat felt more fluid. Even with all the questions and new rules, it went about as fast as 3E combat. When we get used to things, it should go about twice as fast. Everyone liked having more options in combat, but expressed some concern that there would be too many powers to keep track of at higher levels.

The fighter and ranger were a big hit. The Warlock would have been really effective, but rolled poorly for the whole game. Still, her player found it to be a nice class. The cleric and paladin got good reviews too. The wizard's player wasn't crazy about the newfangled magic missile, or having to roll hits for all his spells in general--it was definitely the least effective character in the adventure.

The biggest complaint they had was over the Bloodied condition; everyone felt it should have more of an impact on the game than it does. We talked over imposing a penalty (say, -2 to hit) on Bloodied characters and monsters. There was also some concern over missing the "fragile" stage of beginning characters, but the dwarf's death hushed them up. :)

As a DM, I found this really enjoyable to run. In particular:

* The monsters hit more often than not, and survived long enough to show off their stuff. That's really a refreshing change--I always found them lagging too far behind the PC power curve in 3rd edition, at least at low levels. Surprisingly, Ichi survived the whole adventure--I can easily see a sequel where Meep, Ichi, and Otto return to plague the party.

* I also really like the fact that each monster has some interesting and flavorful tricks. Even something as simple as the kobolds' "Shifty" power does wonders to making the opponent memorable.

* Varsuke's Force Lance power is really good--damage a PC and move them into the most hazardous spot you can find? What's not to like? This power is directly responsible for the dwarf's death, as it slid him away from his party into a vulnerable position. I hope PCs get access to that one!

* The recharge mechanic for monster powers is easy to use, but I find it irksome that monsters don't follow the same rules as PCs. I would prefer to see an upper limit on uses per encounter and per day--otherwise, a lucky DM can keep hitting the PCs over and over with "Daily"-strength powers.

* The standard/move/minor system is easy to remember and use for everyone. The simplified rules for movement attacks of opportunity also speed things up a great deal. A couple of minions met their doom trying to shift past the fighter!

All in all, a very enjoyable session and the rules seem quite solid.

SuperJosh

First Post
I am DMing this in PbP format over at dragonavenue.com.

http://www.dragonavenue.com/forums/viewthread/607/

Any/everyone is welcome to stop in and read along as well as post opinions in the OOC as to what I am doing right/wrong (as I am a self admitedly horrid DM).

It will be interesting to see how 4e pans out in a PbP format as it seems alot of the movement abilities will wreck havoc on the players when they post a move only to find the board has changed since they posted it.

I also wanted to thank Olgar for the adventure and Xorn for the maps.

Ahwe Yahzhe

First Post
Olgar Shiverstone said:
@Nebulous: That is freaking awesome! Looking forward to the "To be continued"!

Hey, Thanks for the adventure, Olgar!

Ran this last night with a couple of old players, which meant I had to DM and "NPC" the scout -I mean, Ranger. We started with the wizard, paladin, and ranger, but the players doubled up before we got to the dragon so there were five party members (added the cleric and the warlock.) Great fun! We used quarters or 4-siders for marking, which worked pretty well with the minis. The Nightscale fight at the end- man, that dragon recharges its Cloud of Darkness way too easily (Recharge 3 4 5 6). "No line of sight" really screwed with our ranged attacks! And we kept forgetting either the ongoing damage at the start of the player turn, or the saving throw at the end of the player turn...

I already tacked on a "dramatic chase scene" after the dragon escapes out the tunnel. I had Nightscale trigger a "Blasting Rock Trap" to cover its escape. That in turn sets off the barely-dormant volcano that I stuck the Raiders' dungeon into. Then I took the "Chase on Charred Ground" entry by Christine Schneider from Paizo's "RPG Superstar" contest, swapped out the "Ashscar Orcs" for Hobgoblin Soliders and Archers, did some conversions on various skill checks and saving throws, and we had a kick-ass sled chase fight down the mountain side. YEEEEHAH!

Last edited:

Remove ads