D&D 4E Raiders of Oakhurst: A 4E Fan Playtest Adventure

Astros

First Post
Even without the extra archer, that encounter is deadly. My players are pretty smart, but the transition from 3.5e mentality to 4e is larger than even they expected. Archers in 3.5e were a joke most of the time, unless made from scratch or a 9th+ npc. Archers in 4e do massive damage and hit ALOT. Adjusting will be interesting.

Last edited:

dm4hire

Explorer
I ran a couple of encounters based similar to the first part of this mod. I agree about the range attacks. It is quite a change but in the same regards I think you'll see a shift as mentioned to where range attackers will be the focus of their counter parts on the opposition. So while the tanks stop the brunt of the melee and hold them in place the first actions of the ranger, warlock, and wizard will be to shutdown any ranged support.

Astros

First Post
Agreed, DM. I also think focus-firing (ala an MMO) will become standard in most situations. It seemed my players were used to the idea that they could divide and conquer. But it quickly became apparent that divide and conquer works against them moreso than for them.

Thanks for the feedback!

So do you think the adventure should be adjusted to tone down the hobgoblin encounter? Or is it fine as is assuming the DM scales the encounter for the number of characters as indicated, and the PCs need to adapt their tactics?

I've considered replacing a kobold skirmisher reinforcement with a slinger, as well, for variety -- any thoughts on that?

And as far as the dragon goes ... I took my cue from the D&D XP. The dragon fight is really there to showcase dragons and teach players to be cautious and not overextend; it's not a fight the PCs are intended to win without running. But a really capable group can experience the fun of defeating a very tough encounter.

Last edited:

Astros

First Post
I didnt bring out the warcaster into the first kobold encounter. I think with 6 players, the base kobolds would have been cake (pretty easy with 4, although my mobs got lucky hits in on my pcs). Bringing in the warcaster, however, might be too much for the first 4e encounter. I would suggest maybe having a 3rd wave of 4 kobold minions come instead of the warcaster.

As for the hobgoblin encounter (my guys completely skipped meepo btw), I think its scaled correctly, but the tight quarters and cover from the table really work to the hobgoblins advantage. I might suggest adding some stalagtites to the pathway to give the PCs some cover against the archers (who can hit anything with that +9).

As for the dragon, yea its a great encounter to showcase, and thats all this playtest is for, so it doesnt have to have a perfect balance.

Overall, fun little adventure to just jump right in, saves alot of ppl some time. Thx for making it, my players definitely had fun. Nothing was better than to hear them say 'ok, well that didnt go well... Lets reset and do it over and this time switch characters.'

Astros

First Post
Also, about DMing 4e... I will say its a bit easier.

Usually in 3.5 I use sticky notes to do everything, left side inits, right side are mobs/health/ac. In 3.5 I used to have ac and normal attacks, as well as ongoing effects, buffs, etc.

In 4e I still had init on the left, but my right hand side of the note was strangely only scribbles of hp. Mostly everything in the game is marked visually since everything is pass/fail saves or marked conditions. The toughest thing as a DM I had to worry about (besides learning everything new) were peoples save effects from things like the dragons breath acid and fear.

As for the marked conditions I used beer caps and soda caps to denote bloodied/marked targets. In the future I can see some great products coming out for this, since nearly everything on the board during an encounter will have some kind of mark. I plan on using those tiny arrow sticky notes, or gobs of different color playdough, or anything easily reusable.

The players definitly had much more to keep track of. As a DM who trusts his players I dont think Ill have an issue in true 4e, but some might need to watch healing surge numbers. Also I was always a fan of using tokens for action points in my eberron game. I think for standard 4e im going to pull out the poker chips again for action points (since each player really wont have more than 2).

Iron Sky

Procedurally Generated
I ran this encounter last night with 3/4 of my gaming group (one had to spend some quality time with fiance and couldn't make it).

Everyone read the rules update, then picked a character. We had Fighter, Cleric, Ranger.

Roleplayed around the town a bit, mostly them seeing the spooked villagers, noticing vandalism (the Cleric being irked into action by the vandalism of the statue of Amunnator(sp?) in the town square), though they failed most of their social rolls due to none having any social skills.

As they decided to wait until morning to press on, the Fighter asked for and got a keg of authentic dwarven ale and everyone said they'd have some until I asked for saves, when the Cleric and Ranger said they were drinking water instead, leaving the Dwarf to drain the keg(let the player add Iron Stomach to the roll, and passed easily).

After emptying it, she spotted some dwarven carvings on the bottom of the keg with the following inscriptions "Blessings to those who drain me in one sitting," granting the Dwarf a nostalgic reverie about her home and a +1 bonus to the first roll of the day, which turned out to give just enough to the perception roll to track the Kobolds(the other players rolling poorly).

They reached the cave enterance and found some discarded "refuge"(was tired and "refuse" came out wrong). After a brief discussion and the wedging of a sunrod into the dwarf's shield-straps, they headed in, arranged in standard single-file array: Fighter-Cleric-Ranger.

I called for "passive stealth tests"(-2 to their stealth rolls) to see how much noise they were making since none of them actively said they were sneaking and opposed them to the kobold's perceptions. The two minions by the fire(scaled down from 4 due to party size) were oblivious, but Ichi-Ichi heard them, pulled the cowbell/cantrip drop rope and readied an action to hit the first person out.

Fighter advanced, was interrupted by Ichi-Ichi, took a hit and moved to engage. True to the player's style, the Cleric advanced into the center of the room, luckily missing the caltrop squares and then making a perception check(figured DC 15 since it was oddly lit, with small objects) to notice the caltrops. Then he blasted the other minion with his lance of faith.

The ranger [edited by admin]shot[/edited] one of the minions, almost using his daily power to kill both. I let him make a perception check to notice that they were "pretty runty." He switched to careful shot instead.

The 4 minions in the side room and the 2 skirmishers came out(forgot there was only supposed to be 1 skirmisher) and a hail of spears, one of the minions critting for max damage = normal damage of 2...

Fighter pounded Ichi-Ichi out of the corner with Iron Tide and moved into his spot, poor Ichi-Ichi going down a moment later when the Ranger stepped out and took him out.

The Cleric had meanwhile been ineffectually been tossing about Lances, while taking a second volley of spears.

With Ichi-Ichi down, the Fighter advanced into the minions, cleaving 2 apart on the first round. The cleric, now bloodied, wisely ran back into the cave enterance tunnel behind the ranger and healed himself. One of the minions used his minor power to shift to flank the Fighter, getting immediately owned, leaving the other minion to stab inneffectually at the Fighter.

The Cleric, healed back to almost full, headed back to the center of the room and threw another inneffectual lance and the skirmishers split up, one charging the Cleric and the other Charging the Ranger.

The Fighter moved to support the Cleric after dropping the last minion and the Skirmisher attacking the Ranger decided it would be better to flank the Cleric. The other skirmisher, now flanking proceeded to roll max 14 damage on the Cleric, taking him down to bloodied again(and leaving the players wondering how the heck the skirmisher had a damage range of 1 to 14).

The Ranger and Fighter then proceeded to dismember one of the Kobolds, the Fighter taking him down to bloodied in one hit, the ranger taking him from bloodied to dead in a second.

They then turned and mobbed the remaining one, the Fighter shield-slamming him into the firepit and curb-stomping him as he shifted to crawl out.

At the end of the first fight, they realized they'd, combined, used 1 of their encounter powers, though the Fighter did attempt to use his Daily, but missed, saving it for later.

They used their Second Winds and the Cleric's other heal, rested a bit more so the Cleric could heal himself again, then rested for another 5 minutes so he would be at full for the next battle. They also cleverly collected the caltrops to use themselves later.

They then proceeded to Meepo's room, the Fighter and Cleric oblivious to everything while the Ranger noticed not only the quivering pile of furs, but also the Spider as it dropped down on them(forgetting that Meepo would have fled by then according to the adventure. I blame it on the fact that I've been DMing for 12 years and have never used a pre-made adventure).

Rolling randomly to see who it attacked, it went for the Cleric, fortunately missing with it's nasty recharge bite.

After the surprise round(I gave the spider and the ranger 1 standard action each), they rolled and the spider went again, biting the Cleric "in half" (doing exactly half of his hp). The fighter knocked the Spider away so the Cleric and Ranger could move more easily, and Meepo stood up, wildly missing with his hand crossbow and charging the Ranger, doing a decent bit of damage.

As the Cleric healed himself, the Fighter beat down the spider some more and the Ranger shifted away and made a ranged attack, provoking an attack from Meepo, resulting in them stabbing/shooting each other at the same time.

After that, the Cleric blasted the Spider and the Fighter used his encounter power to finish it off and take Meepo down to bloodied, using his saved action point to hit him again and nearly kill him. At that point, Meepo began pleading for his life. They stripped him down, rolled more horribly low rolls to intimidate information out of him, though they managed to learn that there were hobgoblins around. (They really really liked Meepo btw, two of the players requested that they see him around more often).

They let Meepo go, with the promise that he would go to the village and turn himself in.

They then rested a bit more and proceeded to get wiped. That Hobgoblin caster is nasty. Ahem, back to continuity.

After suitable recharge rest, they advanced up the water passage, the Fighter coming around the bend first and spotting the Flail Hobgoblin, the archer behind the table, and the caster chanting and levelling his staff at him.

I blame what happened partially to the fact that all my bad rolls went to the archer. He hit exactly 1 time in about 5 rounds, while the flail hobo missed only 1/4 attacks and I never rolled less than 15 for the caster. Simultaneously, my players hit a streak of bad luck, missing with between 1/2 and 3/4 of their attacks and rolling low damage/heals when they did hit.

Predictably, the Fighter charged the enemy fighter, the cleric moved up behind him and tossed his first and only lance of the fight, missing.

The Ranger used his daily, putting one (almost min-damage) arrow into the caster and burying the other into the table the archer was behind.

At this point, they were lined up perfectly for the blast(I remember blast being a straight line in this edition for some reason, though I'm not sure from where... is it blast and cone or is it line and blast?). The flail hobo shifted out of the way(the Fighter missing on his AoO) and the caster let loose, sending all 3 pc's flying(forgot entirely about the dwarve's racial sturdiness) and critting the ranger, taking him from full to near-death in one hit.

They then spent a turn getting up and re-positioning, amid a flurry of heals and second winds. The Dwarf used his action point to move back into range - one that might have been used on a power if we'd remembered his save to avoid going prone, and hit with his daily, rolling dissapointingly low(barely over what his normal max weapon damage is).

The caster then dropped the fighter prone again with a blast of force(still forgetting the dwarf's resistance to it) and the cleric used up the last of his heals.

The dwarf managed to pull himself to his feet, taking another painful flail hit that he couldn't afford, and used his encounter to drop the flail hobgoblin and hearily miss the caster. The caster followed up by charging his staff with lightning and bringing the dwarf to about 5hp With all of them out of healing, mostly out of encounters, and low on hp it already looked bad - and then the hobgoblin's staff recharged completely.

Though the Ranger had teleported out of the way, the fighter went down and the cleric went from freshly-fully-healed to near-death in one blast from the staff, both going flying again. The archer then got his first hit of the fight, dropping the ranger.

The cleric decided discretion was the better part of valour and chose that point to flee, unfortunately not getting out of the range of the caster's staff, with results as per all previous encounters with said caster, namely pc's flying and dying. Hobgoblins: 1 soldier dead, caster hurt(not even bloodied), archer unharmed. PCs - #1 dead, #2 dead, #3 dead.

All in all, everyone but the cleric's player loved the system(and enjoyed the adventure - especially Meepo). I'm whipping up my own adventure for tonight and we're going to give it another go, with people probably trying different characters, our 4th player, and a new set of monsters. We'll see if the Cleric's player enjoys it more from a different role.

If anyone's interested, I'll let you know how it goes too.

Last edited by a moderator:

Iron Sky -- excellent description of the events. Sounds like fun even if it did end in a TPK. That encounter is pretty tough with just three PCs, probably too tough since all the monsters are level 2-3. Though maybe it needs a small tweak to give the players more of a chance.

I love what you did with the roleplaying about town -- great impromptu DMing!

Edit: I've attached an updated version with some flavor changes and other editing. I've added some variety to the kobold guards to allow for trying out different tactics, and changed the way the warcaster might participate in the fight (and give the PCs warning about what they might be up against). The hobgoblin encounter is essentially unchanged -- haven't decided what to do with it yet.

Attachments

• Raiders of Oakhurst v2.doc
    137 KB · Views: 512
Last edited:

yorik

First Post
Ok, my review of this. Played with 6 characters. First off, this is a decent adventure, I think it is a really good way to try out quite a few different rules all in the one place, the caltop traps were good but I do think they needed alittle more stratigic placement (I did alter thier location from the start).

Ok room by room.

Room 1. From what I saw in the first room I think there needed to be more minions, my party just mowed through them, to the point where there was only one kobold left alive when Varkaze came in, he went down really fast since all 6 of the party were free to shoot at him, the paladin and fighter both using on of thier thrown weapons to get at him.

Room 2. Since the cleric managed to fear one of the kobolds he ran in this direction, this caltrop trap was very well placed to begin with. Meepo wasn't here but Ix and the remaining kobold was. Very cool mechanics on the spider liked it alot made this fight very interesting.

Room 3. I placed this fight back up at full strength and due to a miss comunication between me and the players (they said it made a difference) Varkaze got off most of his spells and did quite a bit of damage, the warlock got taken down once so the cleric had to use his heal for the first time (I'm not sure I like this healing mechanic, doesn't seem like it has enough omph compaired to monster damage). Overall this was also a fun and different fight.

Room 4. Ah yes, the dragon... this fight was... interesting, all be it a bit much for a lvl 1 party, even though my players said it was tough but doable, I also forgot Meepo was supposed to be in this fight at the time but that may have put this fight over the edge. the characters were behaving like yo-yos, one round they go down due to the dragon's plentiful abilities and then next round they come back up (I made a ruling that if they were stable they could use a healing surge to compensate for the otherwise lack of healing) this fight took alittle over 2 hours to complete. I'd be more in favor of putting something else in here at this stage just so it doesn't take nearly as long.

Other then that your pdf version had a few mistakes in it, mainly concerning stat-blocks, looked like you used a copy and paste method, replaced the relevent info and left the other older info in there when it shouldn't be there.

If I was going to rate this adventure out of 5 I'd give it a 4, it is a very well written mod and I'd love it if you wrote some more stuff.

Remove ads