D&D 4E Raiders of Oakhurst: A 4E Fan Playtest Adventure

Xorn

First Post
Lord Ernie said:
I'm still deciding if I'm going to use this adventure for my own 4th Playtest, or end up just writing my own (a mixture of the skill challenge and a good ol' bandit fight). Particularly the dragon fight just looks nasty to me, and even though they're playing with pregens, I'm not gonna throw that down on my players without specifically warning them beforehand.

As to the fighter's ability: has anyone considered the 'shift attack != OA' makes it even nastier? Since it's only possible to make one OA during each opponent's turn, if the attack was an OA, an opponent adjacent to the fighter would be able to shift, get hit by the attack, and then move past him with a move action. In this case, though, the move action would still get him the OA for that turn, potentially stop him in his tracks, and force him to spend his standard action that turn to move past the fighter... after getting hit twice. That's sticky, alright.

Remember the point of this playtest is also to examine the scaling of encounter building. By the XP, Meepo + Ix should be the easiest encounter, and Nightscale should be overpowering--there should be character deaths, maybe even a TPK. In my group, it played out pretty well, though I didn't like Meepo fleeing to Nightscale, especially since he's terrified of revealing her. So I'm removing the secret door--if Meepo is warned he's ready to fight, hiding behind the throne. (My Meepo is a king, not the bungling dragon-keeper from Sunless Citadel!)

And remember that except for kobolds, Shifting is a move action. So if you have to shift to get away from someone, that's your movement, unless you forgoe your attack or blow an action point. Shifting is minor movement in a melee, not a way to get around the room.

Nebulous

Legend
Our skirmish game

D&D 4e Skirmish Game

gscale.jpg

[I would like to thank Olgar Shiverstone for compiling this information into a short adventure, Raiders of Oakhurst. I changed it around a little and added my own maps. Thanks for making this available, it saved a bunch of time]

We had three people for this session:

SKAMOS the Tiefling Wizard
RIARDON the Eladrin Ranger
KATHRA the Dwarf Fighter

Everyone picked their characters from the six available, we went over the basics of combat, saving throws, death and dying and Action Points (which we forgot to implement anyway) and then we jumped in feet first with no roleplaying.

“The local villages have been plagued by attacks. Small, scaly humanoid creatures have been raiding the crops and animals, stealing babies, and making life otherwise very miserable for the locals. They have asked you to help them, and have you answered their plea..

Savage rains have swollen the river recently and the sky is still drizzling when you set out following the tracks. These creatures, dog-faced lizard men known as kobolds, have left an easy trail to follow, and you soon find yourself at the mouth of a cave entrance. Muddy tracks lead down into darkness, and as you enter, you smell the wet stench of animal fur, rotting meat, and offal…”

heroes.jpg

The ranger enters first, as he is the stealthiest. There is enough ambient sunlight to show him where to step, and he creeps down as quietly as possible while the dwarf and wizard hang back near the entrance. Fifty feet down the ranger reaches an open room, but he hears the crackle of flames and garbled voices before he peeks around. To his right is a tall stack of boulders, but the left opens up into a large stone room.

minions.jpg

He sees two bonfires, and four kobolds warming their hands around one of them, poking at chickens roasting over the flames. The ranger watches for a moment, and then tries to stealthily sneak back and inform the others.

Unknown to him, a kobold sentry a top the stack of boulders hears him leaving and looks down, but doesn’t see anything. The sentry keeps watching, eyes narrowed…

sentry.jpg

The dwarf and wizard return with the ranger, but dwarf rolls poorly on her stealth check. Her armor noticeably scrapes on the rock wall, and the wizard grimaces. At the bottom, they peek around, but don’t leap out. The ranger is about to fire an arrow, when a clanging alarm starts sounding from above them! Caltrops are dropped from the ceiling and scatter over the floor. The four kobold minions are startled, but immediately grab their spears and run to help. Rather than leaping out into the open and engaging the enemy, the heroes hang back in narrow entrance tunnel while the ranger fires arrows up at the sentry. The tunnel offers cover bonuses to both the heroes and the kobolds, so much of the time everyone has a +2 bonus depending on where they were standing. The wizard tosses magic missiles, but his chance of hitting is not great. The minions are soon on top of them, and the skirmisher sentry is tossing down spears from above.

fight1.jpg

“FOR GROGNARD!” bellows the dwarf, and cleaves a minion (the players loved the one-hit one-kill rule for minions; so did I). The attack crushes two of them at once, slamming their heads into the stone wall in a grisly wet splash of green blood. Another one tries to shift away, but the fighter special ability to Opportunity Attack anyone who shifts nearby makes short work of him.

[Note: I think that fighters might finally come into their own in 4e and be an awesome class.]

But two rounds later four more skirmishers have arrived from another part of the cave, jumping down off a large boulder and running toward them. Furthermore, two heavily armed and armored kobold soldiers appear across the room, one of them wielding a softly glowing bronze shortsword.

soldiers.jpg

The wizard has been throwing magic missiles from the safety of the rear this whole time, allowing the ranger and fighter to take the brunt of the attacks. The ranger makes ample use of Careful Attack and Hunter’s Quarry to deal extra damage against targets, but the other skirmishers land a few lucky blows, especially the sentry who leaps down and attacks. Getting worried, the tiefling ranger uses his Fey Step ability and teleports fifteen feet to the top of the boulders where the sentry was located. He sees a tunnel behind him that leads further into darkness, but from the rocks he is still a valid target. Four spears fly at him, two striking. The ranger reels from the attack, knowing he should reach cover before using Second Wind.

fight2.jpg

Meanwhile, the kobold soldiers have advanced, snarling and throwing orders to the others. The wizard and fighter are still wedged into the narrow entrance, and this turned out to be an excellent (and possibly accidental) tactic. Almost NONE of the kobolds were able to use their Mob ability or flank the trespassers, at least not for a while. A few of them do manage to stack some attack bonuses against the dwarf.

One of the soldiers engages the fighter, its bronze shortsword clanging off the dwarf’s plate mail, but several hits puncture her flesh, especially a painful critical. The soldier is cunning and tough, and despite being hit multiple times, it holds its ground. Try to shift away from the fighter is too dangerous, so it stays close and stabs.

The ranger pulls back into the tunnel, using his low light vision to see that no one is immediately behind him (this area had two more skirmishers and artillery who would attack from the ledge, but were removed with only 3 players), and uses his Second Wind.

enemies.jpg

The wizard calls upon a potent Scorching Burst and aims it at a clump of Skirmishers and the second Soldier. A vertical pillar of flame rains down on their heads, annihilating the three injured skirmishers. They collapse to the ground, writhing in agony, and perish. (GM Note: I think we did this spell wrong, we rolled once to hit all targets in range, rather than rolling for each target)

Jumping back into ranged combat, the ranger tries to use Split the Tree, his daily power, but misses. Actually, quite a few missed arrows begins to discourage him. One skirmisher has exhausted all of his spears, so he flees toward the back of the room and disappears. The dwarf fighter finally kills the kobold soldier in front of her, and she charges the other one while the wizard throws his daily spell, Acid Arrow. It strikes true against the solider…and then backsplashes onto his ally! The dwarf shrugs the pain away and continues hammering into the soldier, finally battering it into the ground where she stomps its head into pulp. [and I forgot the subsequent saves to remove the acid damage, no biggie]. Everyone actually cheered when the soldiers were dropped, they were tough little bastards.

The dwarf and tiefling have been fairly battered in this first encounter, but they take a few minutes to use some healing surges while they investigate the firepits and spoils. Besides the roasting chickens (the dwarf tears a leg off and starts eating it) they find dirty furs, barrels of grain and stagnant beer, and other evidence of goods stolen from human communities. The only object of real value seems to be the faintly glowing shortsword, which the fighter sticks in her belt.

From this room, not counting the entrance, there are four exits: the ledge, a tunnel that leads up, a boulder to climb over, and another large archway about sixty feet away. This is the direction the one surviving skirmisher fled. He’s already long gone, so they decide to flush out the area around the ledge before they advance, to make sure no one comes up behind them.

Taking a torch, the wizard uses mage hand to send it 5 squares ahead, and then climb the ramp, making a complete circuit through dingy chambers filled with stalagmites and stinking bear-rug beds. It wraps back around to the ledge, but they don’t find any more enemies. They advance to the entrance of the next chamber, and find that (per the adventure notes):

“This chamber is, if anything, even filthier than the others. Piles of dirty furs cover the floor, a plate of rancid meat festers in one corner, and the walls are covered in crude graffiti in a foreign tongue. A makeshift throne of rocks is piled against the far wall. A brazier of charcoal placed in front of the throne warms and lights the room, but does nothing to relieve the fetid animal stink.”

There is another exit from this room, but an especially large boulder is pressed into it. The ranger has the highest Passive Perception, and he notices that the furs in front of the throne quiver.

“Who’s there? Show yourself!”

There is no answer, so taking the torch again, the wizard Mage Hand’s it across the room and drops it onto the dry fur. A few rounds later it starts to smolder, and then spark, and then smoke wafts up. Screams erupt from under the rug, and then a scrawny kobold leaps out, a battered crown atop his head. It is screeching in draconic, but no one understands that tongue. The kobold scuttles across the room and presses itself into a corner.

Shifting her hammer into her other hand, the dwarf boldly steps into the room to confront the kobold…

…when something large, hairy and white drops from the ceiling! A massive white spider slams into the dwarf, its weight dropping her to her knees while hideous fangs shred through her armor for 23 points of damage.

spider.jpg

The dwarf is slammed hard for hit points, but then loses initiative against the spider. It lunges again, plunging fangs into her and dropping the fighter to single digits (about 4 hp I think). She reels from the assault, but shifts away and uses her Second Wind. The ranger fires arrows and the Wizard throws magic missiles, but not managing to kill it, when it lunges a third time, once again hitting the dwarf, but this time it jumps thirty feet away with its Prodigious Leap ability, avoiding the fighter’s Opportunity Attack. But the spider can’t escape the sights of the ranger who keeps a bead on it the whole time, and when it lands, an arrow fatally plucks it off the boulder.

There is another room beyond where the spider died, and through this hole they can clearly see a large, crude statue of a dragon in the next room, carved right out of the wall itself. Burning braziers illuminate it like some kind of shrine.

shrine.jpg

The three heroes converge on the cowering kobold, who is now begging, “No hurt me! No hurt me!” in guttural Common. The dwarf hauls him up by the scruff of his neck. “Dey make us steal. Dey make us do it!”

“How many are here?” she growls. “Who makes you steal?” She successfully intimidates the kobold into talking.

“De hobs!” he moans, pointing a scrawny finger.

“Goblins?” asks the ranger. The kobolds shakes its head. “Hobgoblins?” The kobold nods.

“How many?”

“Der tree! Tree! Big un name Vrak!”

“So Vrak is your leader…”

The kobold squirms, trying to get away, and is surprisingly strong despite his small stature. The dwarf is having a hard time holding him. “Lemme go!” it squeals. “Dem hobs do what Gloomscale says. Dem hobs…”

The ranger frowns. “Gloomscale? Who is that?”

The kobold gets a glazed look in his eye. “Gloomscale. Gloomscale so bootiful…so bootiful. De dragon…”

The dwarf gapes at him. “You mean there’s a DRAGON in these caves?” They all look at each other in sudden fright, realizing that something horrible could be coming toward them even now. “Where is she? Where’s your treasure?” The kobold points past the dragon shrine, but he’s squirming like a greased pig. “She sleep! She sleep in da water! LEMME GO!” He starts reaching for a rapier.

The dwarf finally tosses the kobolds into a burning brazier, spilling hot coals across the floor and burning the creature, but it leaps up and sprints full tilt out of the room, heading toward the entrance tunnel. The heroes look at each other again. There are more enemies here, and one of which is a vicious beast they have never dared to confront. Do they have the courage find the dragon’s lair and steal its hoard, or will that lead to certain death?

Gripping their weapons tighter, they face the darkness, wondering what horrors awaits them…

dragon.jpg

To be continued…[?]

And that’s where we stopped, it took about 2.5 hours. We may or may not get a chance to finish it.

My Opinion: Well, I like minis and maps a lot, have for years, and 4e is definitely a miniatures tactical skirmish game. The classes seemed balanced by their damage output, and powers mostly all center around combat, although I would think that spellcasters will eventually get more utility stuff (even if it has to be 3rd party books). Of course, I’ve only seen a tiny fraction of the finished product.

We really enjoyed this skirmish fight, the rules were easy to pick up, the tactics were significantly different than 3rd edition, and it just felt fresh. I would even go so far to say that this was the MOST fun 1st level combat I’ve ever run. But that comes with the understanding that the characters are as strong as 3rd or 4th level characters in 3 e. Being able to heal yourself without relying entirely on a cleric is great.

Trouble Areas: Marking, Bloodied, and keeping track of this stuff. We used small circular 3rd edition condition markers (Stunned, Frightened, Paralyzed, etc.) to mark minis. I also had some gobs of clay to stick on someone, but we didn’t use them much. I can imagine that in large fights (like 4e promises) that having to visually track everyone would be mandatory.

With multiple waves of kobolds, and tossing some soldiers in there, this was a pretty hard combat scenario. If the characters had ever gotten consistently flanked or mobbed, someone would have died, I’m sure of it. So, while I feel that it is much harder to die in 4e, it is also harder to just “accidentally” die; a DM who knows the ins and outs of his monsters has more control over their lethality.

A player mentioned this, and I agree, but 4e would make a fantastic video game. Having a computer track all the conditions and which abilities are activated when an enemy is bloodied, with all of your healing surges ticking down in the corner of the screen would be a fun game.

Icewind Dale 3, I’m all ready for that.

Oh, and here's the full battlemap.

fullmap.jpg

TrainedMunkee

Explorer
I ran this for my group yesterday. It was a pretty easy for them up till Nightscale that is. The dragon made short work of them. I rolled a recharge four times and they rolled three fumbles. The wizard rolled two fumbles with magic missle, so I ruled that he hit a melee character each time. The other PC's were convinced that he was the actual King of the Kobolds. The wizard also shouted down the entrance of the dungeon,"is anyone home?" This set off the alarm of course.

Lord Ernie

First Post
Love the post, Nebulous :). The screenshots make it especially sweet.
Xorn said:
Remember the point of this playtest is also to examine the scaling of encounter building. By the XP, Meepo + Ix should be the easiest encounter, and Nightscale should be overpowering--there should be character deaths, maybe even a TPK. In my group, it played out pretty well, though I didn't like Meepo fleeing to Nightscale, especially since he's terrified of revealing her. So I'm removing the secret door--if Meepo is warned he's ready to fight, hiding behind the throne. (My Meepo is a king, not the bungling dragon-keeper from Sunless Citadel!)
I know, which is why I suppose it's not exactly what I'm looking for. Although I might throw in a fight like this after I've finished the actual adventure, when everybody's more familiar with their characters. Something along the lines of "Now you're all warmed up, how would you like to fight a dragon?".

Xorn said:
And remember that except for kobolds, Shifting is a move action. So if you have to shift to get away from someone, that's your movement, unless you forgoe your attack or blow an action point. Shifting is minor movement in a melee, not a way to get around the room.
Ugh, yeah, the Kobold special rules had me confused. This makes the fighter even stickier, of course, since getting past him without being walloped looks to be nigh impossible. You can try to shift one square (and get hit in the process), but that's just about it.

Nebulous

Legend
Lord Ernie said:
Love the post, Nebulous :). The screenshots make it especially sweet.

thanks! It was fun to make.

Lord Ernie said:
Ugh, yeah, the Kobold special rules had me confused. This makes the fighter even stickier, of course, since getting past him without being walloped looks to be nigh impossible. You can try to shift one square (and get hit in the process), but that's just about it.

Our fighter was annihilating the kobolds that tried to shift. I wonder if that "shift attack" is something only fighters can do, or if you multi-class you can steal it, or if monsters will get it too (maybe if they're militaristic?). Regardless, it really made her stand out from the others, and nerfed the kobold's tactics. In a good way, of course.

Remove ads