Paragons [M&M] (recruiting closed)

Lobo Lurker

First Post
I suppose I could run it, though I've never run a supers game before. Let me see if I can throw some setting material together (breakout event, etc...) and creation guidelines.

Any particular power level you'd be interested in? The book suggests 8 (more realistic), 10 (more like standard M&M), or 12 (PCs with the power to challenge the world).

Any particular faction which particularly interests you?

Nac Mac Feegle

First Post
I am intrigued by your ideas and wish to subscribe to your newsletter ^_^

I'll admit I've generally looked at M&M for making comical heroes, but I could probably manage something in whatever vein people want :)

Douane

First Post
Seeing that I got the book for birthday but never really did anything with it, I'd be interested as well. (Amusingly enough, the same players who got it for me were not interested in playing in the setting at all.)

Shayuri

First Post
I guess my answer to the question of power level depends somewhat on the estimated rate of advancement. If you foresee a relatively brisk pace...with the understanding that in a PBP, a 'brisk pace' has a different meaning than in a realtime game...then I think it'd be fun to play characters from the very start of setting's events. Play the origin story, as it were.

If you anticipate giving exp in smaller bundles at larger intervals (say, the missions are long and convoluted, or similar), and thus advancing will probably be slow, then it's worth looking at starting with more established characters at a higher PL...though HOW established and what PL is very much an open question. The difference between 10 and 12 isn't terribly high. M&M scales upward pretty much indefinitely at an even rate of progression. So there's no 'epic cutoff' or anything. Still, 12 is pretty buff. :)

And of course, a lot of pacing is out of your hands, since players love to RP and do things that don't necessarily award exp and that's fine and well. I'm talking in very loose terms here.

OnlytheStrong

Explorer
I've been wanting to try M&M for awhile now. If you're willing to let a complete rookie in, I'd be happy to join up. (have the only recently gotten the books)

Relique du Madde

Adventurer
I'm also interested... hell, I was tossing around the idea the idea of trying out a GM hat online for the first time in like 5 years by starting a paragons game.

PL wise, I'd like to try a pl 8 or 10.

Factions. I tend to think the factions which are doing research on paranormals are interesting. I'd like to see some of the religous bent ones in action (CoJCP, 7Thunders, and even Pantheon to a lesser degree etc)... but those could lead into problems on this board.

Last edited:

Lobo Lurker

First Post
Okay, why don't we try Power Level 10 (150pp).
* I envision the current paragons of the world ranging from PL 6 to PL 16 but with the vast majority (50% or so) sitting squarely between PL 6-8.

I'm looking for 3-5 characters. I will try to post once per day though my ability to post on Sundays and Mondays is fairly limited. I'LL MAKE THE FINAL SELECTIONS ON SATURDAY. I'd like to see a good mix of archetypes but, ultimately what you want to play is up to you.

I'll be using the versions of powers found in Ultimate Power. There will be POWER SURGES and we'll also use TAINT.
Power Surges: [sblock]You don't get points for these as all paragons have them. When you meet any of the conditions below, make a Will save with a DC of 20. In the case of multiple conditions being met, the DC increases another +2 per additional condition. A successful save gives you a surge point (these make future surges worse). Hero points may be spent to avoid power surges. Power surges can occur when...
* You use extra effort to enhance a power.
* You roll a natural 1 on any roll involving the use of a power (does not apply to passive uses, like Protection).
* You are stunned (in or out of combat).
* You are under extreme emotional stress (rather like a breakout). This type of surge can be brought on by a use of Bluff and/or Intimidate but you get a +2 on your rolls to avoid this type of manipulation.

When your power surge is completed you are fatigued. You may not use a hero point to ignore this fatigue, though you may accept a point of taint in order to do so. [/sblock]
Taint: Power corrupts... [sblock]taint is evidence of that corruption (usually in the form of mutations or psychoses). Any time your character uses extra effort you may elect to accept a point of taint in order to ignore the fatigue that results from the extra effort. You may not spend a hero point to ignore this fatigue (this is a change from the normal M&M rules). [/sblock]​

CHARACTER CREATION
* Please spend your points in the following way. Please spend AT LEAST 50pp on your non-paragon abilities and AT LEAST 50pp on Powers. The remaining 50pp can be spent however you wish.
(50) Attributes, Saves, Attack/Defense, Feats & Skills
(50) Powers
(50) Freebie
Max Tradeoffs = +5/-5​
* In regards to how much dodge focus and attack focus/specialization you can use, not more than 1/2 of your final bonus should be from these feats.
* Please include your breakout event (what stresses changed you from merely human into a paragon); Just a few sentences will do. Your characters broke out (became paranormals) 10 days ago.
* Please include whether or not your character has registered themselves with the PRA (Paranormal Regulation Agency, a sister-agency to the FBI).
* While Magic (tm) and Advanced Alien Technologies do exist, most paragons will get their powers from an ability to somehow draw fourth strange inter-dimensional energies to empower themselves.

Simple Character Sheet: [sblock]
Name: (PL 10, 150pp)
Secret ID:
“witty character comment”
Allegiances:
Str 10, Dex 10, Con 10, Int 10, Wis 10, Cha 10
Toughness +0, Fortitude +0, Reflex +0, Will +0
Attack +0 (melee +0, ranged +0, grapple +0), Defense: 10 (flat 10)
Initiative +0, Notice +0, Luck: 0​
FEATS: feat
SKILLS: skill [0] +0,
POWERS:
sample +0 (PF: x, EX: y, FL: z)​
[/sblock]

SETTING:
The BREAKOUT EVENT that alerted the world to the presence of the paragons that moved among them was on August 8th, 1999. In the middle of hottest part of the year, the US, Canada and most of Mexico was buried in snow. At the epicenter, a small town in Montana, it was colder than should actually be possible on Earth. The Paranormal Regulation Agency made its first public appearance and a live internet-video feed showed the source to be an 11-year old girl who was trying to stop her abusive mother from from burning her with an iron.
Soon after, other world-changing events occurred (unseasonable weather, strange accidents with no casualties, etc..) until the world could no longer deny the truth in the form of a flying man named Christian Kaine, who formed an international emergency relief agency with himself as the primary response to natural disaster relief world-wide.
Now, paranormals are a facet of everyday life. Authorities are desperately trying to crack down on "breakout parties" where normal people place themselves in unreasonable danger to try to find the 'paragon' within themselves.
* Most governments require that all paragons residing within their borders must register both their name and their abilities. Such information is NOT a matter of public knowledge as the Society of Professional Paranormals successfully convinced the Supreme Court of the United States and the UN of a Paranormal's right to privacy. Vigilantism is frowned upon though the judiciary systems have been quite lenient towards paranormals.

Strange Happenings:
* On September 11th, 2001 just after the United States was rocked by terrorist attacks on the Sears Tower in New York, fully a 5th of the city was obliterated when a strange object impacted the city. Officially, nothing was recovered and it is unknown what devestated the city. The US Govt. claims that it was the culmination of the terrorist attacks but groups responsible claim they had nothing to do with the secondary explosion, though they take full credit for the destruction of the towers.
* Simultaneously the world was wracked with freak thunderstorms and fortean phenomena*. These storms continue, sporadically and rarely, to this day but scientists have also discovered that they cover an area around the earth, including the moon, and that they appear to be lessening.
* 10 days ago an object appeared in the skies above Dehli, India. The object was swathed in flame and lightning and it traced a line of fire and energy across the sky as it slowly fell. It landed in the ocean about 110 nautical miles off the southern shores of Japan. Professional salvagers and big corporations alike have been scrambling to find the object since then, all unsuccessfully.

* fortean phenomena are things that defy the laws of physics and exist though they should not (ex: ghosts, flying sailing ships, reversed gravity, etc...).

Last edited:

Shayuri

First Post
*pounce*

Eeee!

I shall submit for consideration Tesseract; teleportation (both personal and as an attack form), pocket dimension, some spatial manipulation and so on. College student in high-energy physics accident.

Details to follow!

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Recent & Upcoming Releases