D&D 4e game?

renau1g

First Post
Riardon Brightvale

He's my first kick at the can, let me know your thoughts Nick.

Background:
[sblock]
Growing up in the Feywild was not an easy thing for any eladrin, with the constant threat of fomorians and other dangers of the fey darkness. Being the son of the ruling noble, the Bralani of Autumn Winds, wasn’t much easier. Riardon’s father bore the tremendous burden of protecting their city-state from the encroaching darkness. Due to the constant pressure and commitment required of his position, Riardon’s father was not able to spend the time with his son and the times they were together were awkward and cold. Riardon spent more time with the captain of the guard, Illtheil, and grew to look upon him as a father figure. For his part Illtheil relished the role as he had lost his wife and son during childbirth.

They spent much time training in both martial weaponry and more scholastic topic, such as history and the natural world. Often, Riardon would sneak out of his home to travel on patrol with Illtheil. During these times Riardon was taught how to keep himself hidden, how to detect concealed threats, and how to utilize his inborn fey abilities to their utmost.

Things were idyllic for Riardon until his father heard about the kinship that the two had developed and grew extremely jealous. His father was already upset that Riardon hadn’t shown any interest in the political circles his father entertained or in the ruling of a city. His father had Illtheil banished from the city on pain of death. In a rare show of emotion, Riardon burst into tears at the news and pleaded with his father to reconsider. However, his mind wasn’t about to be changed and so Illtheil was sent out of the city never to return.

Riardon was distraught and grabbing what gear he could, including his trusted bow and sword, he struck out after Illtheil. Utilizing all the skills he’d been taught Riardon tracked Illtheil for three days before he finally caught up to him. They began to travel to the human lands, thinking it would be the best place to hide from Riardon’s father. They managed to make their way out of the Feywild in one piece and began to travel to the nearest settlement. When they arrived to a small farming hamlet, they were shocked at the scene they found.

A group of bandits was ransacking the town. They were a motley group of individuals, orcs, goblins, humans, and a few dragonborn. Looking to each other, they realized they had to help these people and launched into action. Luckily for them the bandits were disorganized and easily fell to their combined blade and arrows. However, one dragonborn stood above the rest and began to rally the others. He carried a massive spiked chain and wielded it with obvious skill. Emboldened by his appearance the other bandits began to organize themselves and pressed Riardon and Illtheil back. The duo still managed to strike down most of the bandits when the large dragonborn struck. He pulled the sword from Illtheil’s hands and followed up with a low sweep of his chain, knocking him to the ground. Riardon was battling a pair of orcs and couldn’t make his way to Illtheil before the dragonborn brought the chain above his head and smashed it down into the prone form. Riardon had overcome his enemies by then and cautiously advanced on the powerful bandit drawing his sword while he walked. The dragonborn advanced on Riardon twisting and rotating the chain with ease, laughing as he approached. Riardon suddenly disappeared and was behind the large creature, he struck his sword deep into its back all the way through the other side. With the threat neutralized he ran over to Illtheil and attempted to revive him, but it was too late.

Overcome with grief Riardon tended to his friends burial and also brought the dragonborn’s body to a secluded place. He created a set of hide armour from the large creature swore that he’d make Illtheil proud. With that he advanced out into the world seeking new challenges and, hopefully, new friends. [/sblock]

Appearance:
[sblock]Riardon is of average height for an eladrin and is quite thin relative to an average human, although very defined. His fair skin and small frame lead some to think him a weak member of the nobility, although they are half right. Riardon favours loose-fitting clothing that is of a darker colour, which helps him blend into his environment. He keeps his head shaved as he feels it could provide an enemy an advantage. Riardon has piercing green eyes, which he uses to scan the area wherever he happens to be. [/sblock]

Personality:
[sblock] Riardon is quiet and appears cool to those who don’t understand the eladrin. He struggles to keep his emotions in check, especially as he recalls Illtheil’s death. Riardon feels pity for the weak and will always go out of his way to help those in need, heedless of his own safety. He has a love for music of any kind and will travel to an inn when he first gets to a new town to hear what the local bard is playing, often spending hours enjoying the music. [/sblock]

Last edited:

Rolzup

First Post
Let me give Skamos a shot, if I may....

[sblock=History]Skamos is a foundling, left quite literally on the doorstep of the famed magus Labroth of the Hungry Eyes. It's entirely possible that whoever left the infant tiefling there was hoping that the infamous wizard would sacrifice him to some demon or another, or perhaps use him to cast some sort of horrifying spell ("He uses the blood of babes to paint his foul runes, y'know. And then he drinks whatever's left, from a cup of gold!"), but alas...Labroth's reputation was terribly exaggerated. He was simply a wizard, no more evil than any other, who deeply valued his privacy.

Why he took the squalling infant in, even he could never say for certain. Perhaps he'd gained an inkling of his own mortality in his researches into the nature of the cosmos, and wished to pass his knowledge on to another before passing from the mortal realm. Or perhaps he simply wanted someone to talk to.

It matters little, in the end. He took the boy in, and raised him as his own, and showed him as much love as the old man could manage. Which wasn't much, really; Labroth was never entirely comfortable with other people.

He left Labroth's tower two decades after his arrival there, casting many a trepidatious glance over his shoulder as he strode away. It was time; he knew it, and Labroth agreed. The World was calling to him, and he had to answer. I just wish I knew where I was going, he thought mournfully, as the tower shrank in the distance, Or how long it will tkae me to get there.[/sblock]

[sblock=Apprearance]
His skin is pale, his hair is black as coal, and his eyes smolder with a dull red radiance. Small horns crown his forehead, curving in smooth and symmetrical arcs, and his long tail is in constant motion...almost serpentine when he is relaxed, and lashing like an angry cat when he is disturbed.

He stands tall and slender. Rather, not so much slender as skinny. Gawky, one might even say. But he moves with a certain deliberate grace that belies his awkward seeming, and his gaze is disturbingly sharp.
[/sblock]

[sblock=Personality]
He's scared, Skamos is. Terrified, even. He's haunted by dreams of some strange destiny, and he feels helpless against them. He doesn't entirely understand the world he's found himself in, and is terribly nervous about approaching other people. Already he's had to flee from hurled stones, and he's morbidly certain that there's something worse lurking around the next bend in the road.

Even so, he'll not hesitate to help those in need. He knows the reputation that Tieflings have -- Labroth, cheerfully enough, told him a few tales of his ancestors and their horrible deeds -- and he's determined to show that he's not some kind of soulless monster. If anyone will give him a chance.
[/sblock]

nick012000

First Post
Rolzup's take on Skamos is approved.

renau1g's take on Riardon is tenatively approved; please edit in some paragraph spacing into your history. Walls of text are distracting to read.

Pinotage

Explorer
Here's the background information and description for the cleric PC, Armarantan of Borne.

[SBLOCK=Background]Armarantan of Borne watched the sun rise over the hill, his armor glinting as the fine links caught the early morning rays. He sat quietly by himself on a solitary rock on the tallest hill in the area around Borne. The morning was a time of reflection, a time to devote himself to the matters of his faith. But this morning he found himself casting his mind's eye back to the events of years before. Because, unlike every other morning that he'd come up here to cherish the sun and his faith, this moment was different. It was exactly a year since it had happened.

Rose had been the most glorious jewel, a previous stone that's clarity and beauty could rival even the sparkling sun. She was, according to his parents, not the most suitable woman, but the fire that burnt in her was captivating. It enhanced his faith, fueled it and gave it new meaning. Here on this earth he had reason to worship something else other than the radiance of the sun. But she'd quickly darkened. And the pain of the event still cut his heart every time he thought about it. Killed, not by accident, not even by something worthy, but by the humiliation of swarms of lowly kobolds that had nearly killed him and cut her to pieces.

He tried not to reflect too much on that day. The mistakes he'd made, the things he could've changed. And the parting from his parents at the funeral. 'Good riddance' is not a comment that any son wanted to overhear.

Life continued, his faith continued, though it was subdued. And as the days past, he started to change, to find again an inner fire - some sort of radiant madness with which to quench the hurt and pain. Sighing heavily, he stood up, tall and handsome, his outfit and armor meticulous in cleanliness and organisation. Borne had given birth to him, raised him, shown him life beyond what he could've expected. Now it was time to make a life away from Borne. Armarantan of Borne would rise to the challenge.[/SBLOCK]

[SBLOCK=Description]Armarantan is a tall, blond-haired man with sharp chiselled features and a finely sculpted look. His appearance is meticulous, though his mood is sombre and often serious. His eyes are a deep blue, and they hide a life experienced and richness of joy mingled with dark patches of sadness. He wears a shiny coat of chain mail armor, each link polished and clean, though most of the time it is hidden beneath a cream tunic. In a hidden pocket of his tunic is a single embroided handkerchief, a lasting memory of Rose.[/SBLOCK]

[SBLOCK=Personality]Armarantan is a serious, though often unpredictable individual. He is prone in recent years to acts of rashness, thought to be the result of a complete lack of fear for his own life. He values other people's lifes, though, and their opinions, and is a willing listener. He hides a hidden anger at both himself and the unrighteousness of the world, and is prone to bouts of rage and flashes of uncalled-for madness. Throught it all he holds fast to his faith, and believes that religion offers a better life to those that have little hope. He has a tendency to be cynical at times, and can often be called humourless.[/SBLOCK]

Pinotage

Last edited:

renau1g

First Post
nick012000 said:
renau1g's take on Riardon is tenatively approved; please edit in some paragraph spacing into your history. Walls of text are distracting to read.

Done. Sorry about that, it didn't look so blocky on Word, but it's corrected now.

nick012000

First Post
renau1g said:
Done. Sorry about that, it didn't look so blocky on Word, but it's corrected now.

Great. It's approved now.

Pinotage: What you've written for your background so far is excellent. Keep up the same quality for the rest, and you'll be approved, too.

Dire Lemming

First Post
I just saw this and thought that it would be a great way to test whether or not 4E I would dislike 4E as much as I feared... I'm not sure how good of a character description/background I could come up with for something like this though. :\

What characters are already taken? I'd be interested in trying any class. Or do you already have enough?

Last edited:

nick012000

First Post
Dire Lemming said:
I just saw this and thought that it would be a great way to test whether or not 4E I would dislike 4E as much as I feared... I'm not sure how good of a character description/background I could come up with for something like this though. :\

What characters are already taken? I'd be interested in trying any class. Or do you already have enough?

There has been someone stating their intention for each character, though only the Wizard, Cleric, and Ranger have had their characters approved. If you want to play, you'd have to pick one of the other three.

Erekose13

Explorer
Looking at my schedule over the next few weeks, I'd be delinquent if I tried to push myself into another game. I'll bow out. Thanks for putting this together Nick, if I can, I'll watch the IC thread to see how it pans out.

Remove ads