MSN virus going around

Cashmere

First Post
Hey all, I didn't figure out how to fix it, I didn't even click on the link... thank you spider sense >_< this is a post from our old friend, said I could post it here to help all our peoples too :D

Ok folks! I think I have a way to fix this little virus up! Pay attention and behold!

Step 1: Uninstall Windows Live Messenger. Make sure that when you go to reinstall it, you have a later version than the one Microsoft just released. Here is the link I got mine from, though it was down last time I checked, but just in case: Messenger Live 8.0

Step 2: After you are done with that, open up your Control Panel and go to Add Remove Programs. Once there, scroll down to Windows Messenger Live, click the Change button then click Repair. Now, if you have Messenger Plus! Live, you should use the Repair function on it instead, it is under "Messenger Plus! Live" in the Add Remove Programs list. Just click it, and then click Repair Messenger. It will bring up a box, leave everything as is and click next... Let it repair.

Step 3: After all that, now comes the tricky part. Since this virus embeds itself in Windows, it will start up when Windows does as well... So to fix this go to Start Menu then click "Run". When the window comes up type in "msconfig" without the quotations, then hit enter.

It will bring up a box with several tabs.. Click on the "Startup" tab then look for an item that says, "live" and "live.messenger.com". Once you find this option, uncheck it .

Now click the "Services" tab, and looks for the same name "live" or "live.messenger.com" There shouldn't be anything in there, but check just in case. If so, disable it. Now click apply, it will prompt you to restart your machine, do so.

Now once this is all done, it SHOULD be ok, this is no guarantee, but hell.. it worked for me and a few others... It is better than spreading it, right? Hehe.

Good luck!
V

--------------------
user posted image

Elf_Ariel

First Post
Mmmm yes, and for all you ancient folks...such as me...who're still running win2k. UNLUCKY! We dont have msconfig.

On the other hand, you can get it here: msconfig

I just reinstalled, and got rid of live.messenger and so far so good.

After spending an hour hunting my registry for msconfig.

Shame on you Cashmere ;-).

Ruthia

First Post
amryll said:
Umm,what virus?
Messanger virus. If someone suddenly sends you a message that says "Hey this looks just like you" with an odd smilie face and a link that has your e-mail adress in it, then it's a virus don't click it.

Also to note, you don't have to be showing as online for it to send it too you. I've had it sent to me three times by the same person...each time he was offline.......

Tharivious

First Post
Ruthia said:
Messanger virus. If someone suddenly sends you a message that says "Hey this looks just like you" with an odd smilie face and a link that has your e-mail adress in it, then it's a virus don't click it.

Also to note, you don't have to be showing as online for it to send it too you. I've had it sent to me three times by the same person...each time he was offline.......
It can also be completely avoided through the magic of Firefox, which prompts the user about the download of a DOS file. If anyone chooses to download a DOS file when they're expecting a picture, well... you get what you get. :confused:

The message being sent from an offline person means that it's a phishing virus, which accesses your password and email name to auto-log itself into MSN and spread the virus. Anyone affected, I'd advise changing your passwords as soon as possible after eliminating the virus.

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Recent & Upcoming Releases