Reaper prepainted minis - how was the result?

Maggan

Writer for CY_BORG, Forbidden Lands and Dragonbane
Hello!

Has anyone here bought the Reaper prepainted minis? If so, what was your experience?

Overall quality?
Price?
Range? (is it a good selection?)
Utility? (is it possible to use them instead of or together with D&D Minis)?

Also, does anyone have any information of how sucessful the launch was, and how well the minis are selling? Should we see this as a serious competitor to D&D Minis, that will change how WotC markets its minis (i.e. non-randomised sets)?

I'm grateful for any input.

/M

Last edited:

francisca

I got dice older than you.
Relatively cheap, a good/better than I could paint them, and I don't have to spend the time....I like 'em.

I picked up some skeletons, the Troll, and a few Ogres.

Hope they keep this line going....would love to see some of their other sculpts pre-painted.

bento

Explorer
I picked up a couple of the ogres, which were a lot cheaper and less time consuming to put on the table for play than if I painted my own or purchased an equivilent DDM. I think they work best (and I believe they've been designed for) those who need some lower-level mooks, hence the skeletons, orcs and goblins rather than more obscure choices.

kenobi65

First Post
The range isn't very big yet. I can't get to Reaper's website at the moment, but I don't think they have much more than a dozen sculpts out right now, with another dozen or in the pipeline.

I doubt it's something that WotC sees as a serious competitor to DDM; it doesn't address those who play DDM as a skirmish game at all, and, at this rate, it'll take Reaper years to release as many different sculpts as WotC puts out in a single DDM expansion.

Maggan said:
Hello!
Overall quality?
Price?
Range? (is it a good selection?)
Utility? (is it possible to use them instead of or together with D&D Minis)?

/M

Quality? Very good. The sculpts are all based on Existing Reaper Metal Minatures (I have all of ther current ones in Metal but the Minotaur & the Skeleton with the spear). The paints jobs are better than most common (& many uncommon) of the D&D Minis.

Price is pretty good. They are more expenive than the individual commons of the D&D minis my game store has, but are cheaper than the uncommons (the bigger sizes, like the ogre are usually much cheaper than their D&D equal.

Range is very limited right now, but if they keep expanding, even limiting themselves to existing sculpts, they have hundreds of options to choose from.

As an RPG mini, they as useful as anything else.

Kid Charlemagne

I am the Very Model of a Modern Moderator
Incidentally, you can now get pre-painted plastic Confrontation minis. Still a very limited selection, but they are out.

francisca

I got dice older than you.
Just another thought: if yo guys are hard-up for cheap pre-painted minis, look into buying up some old mage knight minis, then bust them off the base and remount them. I'm pretty happy with the 30 or 40 I've done this way.

frankthedm

First Post
Better Painting than DDM

The value fluxuates. Price per head on man sized figure with the equivalent available in the DDM secondary market is poor. Prices for Larger monsters that are often rare are actually good. If you don't use the secondary market, then compare them to the cost of metal minis.

I think they lost a few customers by starting off with basic monsters. Stuff like skeletons, orcs etc are easy to get from the DDM range as commons, and for far cheaper than what Reaper can charge. And everyone who's bought a moderate number of DDM has hordes of them already.

I'm interested in some of their forthcoming miniatures (the marilith-analog in particular), but the range they've come up with so far just isn't all that exciting.

Remove ads