A Sojourn in Sairundan Part 2 [Judge: Manzanita]

Trouvere

Explorer
Conuld keeps hold in his mind of the flames shielding the prisoner, but lets his own shield drop. "That was both exhilarating and disturbing," he says, half to himself.

"Do you expect the people to take to the streets in unrest, perhaps also in search of orc-blooded? It will not be entirely safe for strangers to the city, then, Kurgahz in especial. I fear I can be of little assistance in the event of a riot. I have few spells left in mind, and I would not wish to be in a situation that would require me to cast my last."

"Also, in the confusion, I have lost track of my companions, and of several matters of importance. What is the fate of those poisoned? Do they yet live? And do you know where the children, Rafiq and Amin, are? Are they at the side of their father and brother? If they are elsewhere, I hope they were sensible enough to have returned home."

Rae ArdGaoth

Explorer
Conuld:

Gram heaves a sigh and sits on the sloped pavilion ground. "I don't know, Conuld. Most of them are just... knocked out. Unconscious. They look like they're sleepin'. Hayder and Rais, they'll come right out of it, I think. Thank the winds for that. But the Patriarch..." He looks around, and lowers his voice. "I don' think he's goin' t'come out o' this alive. He's far worse than the others. They've taken him to the temple, they have antivenoms for all kinds o' snakes. But this doesn't seem like snake venom, I've never seen anybody this bad." He sighs again and looks off into the distance.

Then he stands. "I've got to go get my scrolls. I am the most in touch with Phyrah's love in this city, but my li'l body is only so capacious for Her power. If I've got even two scrolls to delay the poison for a few more hours, I'll be grateful. Paper's so expensive, I hardly ever spent the resources to scribe anything. If he can make it to dawn, when Phyrah's yearning for a new horizon restores me, he may make it until we can find a cure. My own house is near Hayder's. You an' I can go together, and make sure that his youngest two are alrigh'. Or would ye rather wait for your mates?"

He looks at the orc, still surrounded by flames. "And what to do with this guy. You two, come here. You'll follow me, we're putting this one in a safe place." Two of the more helpful guards come and pick up the orc.

Shadya:

You descend the rooftop, in search of paper. You don't know this area so well, you spent most of your time in the nicer districts of town. Nonetheless, there is a general store not too terribly far. Like the rest of the area, the lights are out inside. Not even the roadside ceremonial fires are lit this far away from the main thoroughfares.

Rystil Arden

First Post
(OOC: Since they have enough written evidence to work for anything needing that, if Shadya does not return with paper in time, Lasair will withhold the twentieth sheet for herself and place another Suggestion on him to continue as before from where he left off--but this time out loud. She will then takes notes on the things she cares about in neat and small handwriting, front and back of the last page)

Trouvere

Explorer
Conuld at last stops concentrating on his illusion... though not without causing the flames to part impressively for the guards in a last flourish.

"I shall accompany you. Give me a moment." He sketches a simple flat image in the air, facing toward the street taken by the others: a light background like a fine sheet of paper, bearing the message 'the poisoned still live. I return to Hayder's home,' written in Sylvan.

"That will yet remain for the better part of an hour. If they are longer than that, I shall fear for their well-being, but trust in their skills."

As they walk, Conuld offers advice and asks questions. "The simple spell for detection of poison may aid in its identification. I am no alchemist, alas. I would put my own chance of success at no more than one in ten."

"Forgive my ignorance of your customs, but if the Patriarch should die - Phyrah forfend - how is his heir determined? Has he an acknowledged heir?"

Last edited:

Rae ArdGaoth

Explorer
Conuld:

Gram smiles a little. "Good idea, the younger clerics might be able to help after all... Among all the priests in this city, surely someone will be able to identify the poison.

As for the Patriarch's successor, he would be elected by the people. Until we could organize a vote, the advisors would lead in his stead as a council, with the most senior advisor serving as executive leader. That would be Kadar."

Gram pauses to think as you walk. He shakes his head in bewilderment. "I hate to admit it, but the moment this happened, I thought, Kadar, that serpent! Then I realized he was one of the judges that got poisoned! Now I don't have any ideas. Maybe this prisoner of yours will have answers. I pray so."

Shadya:

You give up on the back alley store and decide to try a more central location that you know better. Heading towards the glowing coals, you reach a major street. Very few people are out, all of them are moving quickly and nervously. The lights in a few places are on, but the street is uncannily quiet.

You find the store you were looking for. A light is on inside, but the door is locked.

Rooftop Dwellers:

We'll have to wait for Shadya's tangent to play out a little longer before it becomes clear whether she'll be back soon. It's already taking longer than planned. Would it be fair to say she left when 10 pages remained and now only 5 are left?

Rystil Arden

First Post
(OOC: Well, you're the only one of us OOC who knows how long it takes this dude to write front and back, so if you think so, then sur. Shadya and Lasair would know in character because we watched him write the first ten, so Shadya knows when she ran out of time looking. But yeah, I definitely want to let Shadya's tangent play out to its extent--I only posted preemptively so you wouldn't have to wait for me if I had slowdown or something and couldn't post later ;))

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Recent & Upcoming Releases