Healing out of combat

brehobit

Explorer
OK,
Say you are out of combat and need to heal up. Let me see if I understand how this works.

Given 5 minutes, you can spend as many healing surges as you wish I believe.

Can a cleric aid those (the d6+4 bonus to healing surges?) If so, does the "twice per encounter" limitation limit this aid in some way?

bobthedog

First Post
I think we'll probably see some kind of priestly Ritual for out-of-combat healing.

Free Surge for everyone once per day or something. So that you don't use it when only the fighter is a bit scratched, but after a big fight where everyone got banged up.

Xfer83

First Post
brehobit said:
OK,
Say you are out of combat and need to heal up. Let me see if I understand how this works.

Given 5 minutes, you can spend as many healing surges as you wish I believe.

Can a cleric aid those (the d6+4 bonus to healing surges?) If so, does the "twice per encounter" limitation limit this aid in some way?

You can spend as many surges as you need outside of encounters during a "short rest".

As for healing:

I was at D&DXP and played each of the LFR 4th Edition preview games. In one game the GM told me (I was playing the cleric) to use healing word to activate peoples surges during a "short rest" period between combats.

In the other game(different GM) our group was told that if the cleric used healing word outside of combat, the uses would be expended for the "next encounter".

So if you used healing words after your second encounter but before your 3rd, you would not have them available during the third encounter.

Obviously these rulings were contradictory and I don't know which one is the correct ruling.
Anybody else play at the XP and want to share how outside of combat healing worked.

Imban

First Post
How Healing Word works on NPCs is also kinda confusing for me, since I don't think they have Healing Surges to spend...

VannATLC

First Post
Xfer83 said:
You can spend as many surges as you need outside of encounters during a "short rest".

As for healing:

I was at D&DXP and played each of the LFR 4th Edition preview games. In one game the GM told me (I was playing the cleric) to use healing word to activate peoples surges during a "short rest" period between combats.

In the other game(different GM) our group was told that if the cleric used healing word outside of combat, the uses would be expended for the "next encounter".

So if you used healing words after your second encounter but before your 3rd, you would not have them available during the third encounter.

Obviously these rulings were contradictory and I don't know which one is the correct ruling.
Anybody else play at the XP and want to share how outside of combat healing worked.

From everything that has been said elsewhere, Healing Word would *not* be expended, if the next encounter was at least 5 minutes away.

1/per encounter translates to 1/5min out of combat.

IF you used your Healing Word in encounter A, then rested for five minutes, then used it again, then was involved in an encounter less that 5minutes of game time later, I would adjudicate that you would not be able to use Healing Word in the Encounter B.

If, however, you rested a total of 10 minutes after Encounter A, then I would rule it as 'recharged'

What say the people?

Healing Word uses 1 of each of the parties healing surges, and grants additional healing on top of the normally healed amount.

Edit: By 'used' I mean both charges that you get in an encounter.

Not that, in that fashion, all the party would have used at least 4 healing surges. Which is quite a lot for a single encounter.

With regards to NPCs, if it is not mentioned, I will give them healing surges that are useable only OOC.

Gloombunny

First Post
What fafhrd said. You can use Healing Word out of combat, but only twice per five-minute rest. So if you have a lot of healing to do you'll be resting for longer than five minutes, I guess.

I don't like Healing Word much at all. It seems to undermine a lot of the cool stuff about the surge mechanic. :/

breschau

First Post
This is answered in the "What you need to know" pdf available on the D&D site.

Healing Word, 2 per encounter.

5 minute rest: healing, tick off as many healing surges as you want between encounters. Per encounter powers are replenished. Total surges are still limited by day (are replenished with a 6 hour rest). If the cleric helps you heal, he needs an extra 5 minute rest to regain his Healing Word.

arscott

First Post
I'd just say that a cleric can't use healing word between encounters and be done with it. Sure, it's entirely metagamey, but no more so than healing surges themselves.

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Upcoming Releases