Gary Gygax has passed. RIP beloved father of RPG's. (merged)

Treebore

First Post
Gary Gygax has passed. RIP beloved father of RPG's.

I want to know if it is true. I heard it was in his home, and that family and friends were with him. Is it true?

Please tell me it isn't true.

Edit: I now have to believe it is true. R.I.P. to a great friend I never met.

Last edited:

Treebore

First Post
As much as I want to refuse to believe it, The Troll Lords announced that they were called by Gary's son, Ernie, and told about his passing.

This feels very much like losing a close family member.

I can't express how sad this makes me, or how much I will miss him.

God, I hope this is a hoax.

Aidan Milvus

First Post
I too hope for this to be a hoax. From all I've heard, he was a great man, and shall be missed if it isn't a hoax.

I don't know if this is fitting or even more saddening that this happens on GM's day... :(

Wulf Ratbane

Adventurer
True or not, I'm getting all choked up here.

I hope it's not true, but if it is-- the great man passed on GMs Day.

EDIT:
Nobody-- no friend, no mentor, no teacher, no pastor, no politician-- had as great an impact on my life as Gary Gygax. Although my family may claim credit for my moral instruction, it was the many long, happy hours spent reading Gygax to which I owe the development of my intellect.

And to Dungeons and Dragons, of course, I owe most of my friends and certainly my career. On the merits of the happiness and joy that he brought to my life alone-- not to mention millions of other geeks like me-- I am sure that Gary has gone on to his reward.

Godspeed.

Last edited:

JohnRTroy

Adventurer
If the Trolls said it, guys, assume it's true.

http://www.freeyabb.com/phpbb/viewtopic.php?t=4373&mforum=trolllordgames

I wrote to him a few days ago, no response, so I guess things were bad. I'm sorry I had to hear the news from elsewhere, but I understand.

He was having medical issues, recently he had a fall after a bad reaction to medication, so I knew he wasn't doing so good. I'm just happy I got to spend time with him last November, and that he was able to be with you guys during GenCon's anniversary.

JeffB

Legend
Steve @ TrollLord has posted on the TL boards Ernie called this morning to tell him Gary had died.

My condolences to his family and friends, and my many thanks for all the wonderful fun he has given me over the years. Introducing me to a new sort of game and to all sorts of authors I would never had read otherwise.

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Recent & Upcoming Releases