Island Empire - A Warlock Alone Part2

Scotley

Hero
"Indeed, I encountered it on the way here. Father Oakstaff was with me and he stayed to examine it. He was rather disturbed by it. I must say I found it rather disquieting myself." He shakes his head. "Let me be blunt Captain. I've known for some time that these local buggers were up to no good. But the Empire has been loath to send me any help. It seems you brought up a chap who did a bit of snooping about and confirmed what I've been saying all along. He's headed South immediately with a Captain I trust implicitly. I believe the Empire will return in force in the Spring. Especially, with Ms. York, ah um, Duchess York now that is taking a hand in pressing her families claim here. She is going to insist the Empress provide adequate forces to pacify lands her great grandfather had claimed during the War of Discovery back before the plague years. Much of the land West and North Icewatch is in fact hers." He shrugs, "I've not nearly the forces needed to press her claim. It is all I can do to keep the trading post here at Icewatch open. Those devils have no cities, no permanent settlements. They follow the various migratory animals. Makes it it hard to see what they are really up to or even how many of them there are. One of them does something illegal and gets a mile from where we stand now and I have no force to bring the blighter to justice unless he happens to be dumb enough to wander back into town." He runs a hand over his narrow beard. "I think there are a lot more of those buggers than anyone down South would believe. It is going to be a nasty winter. I'm pulling all the food I can find and every Imperial citizen into the Port Authority fortress the day the harbor freezes over and we aren't coming out until the first Imperial warship arrives next spring." He makes a sweeping gesture at the Retribution, "Captain, I believe that this ship is seaworthy or soon will be. I suggest you set sail as soon as possible. I don't believe I can protect you from what I expect will be coming in from the wild very shortly. I think the buggers out there are going to come in force and the consequences be damned."

J. Alexander

First Post
"I am truly sorry that we have may have put you into this position. The ship is more or less seaworthy it is just that the crew is tired and I am loath to set sail with a tired crew and damage vessel. If I may, can we dock a little closer to forces for the next four hours, I will rest my crew and we will then sail."

"On a brighter note, since you are basically saying your are going to go into garrison and withstand a siege, I can provide you with several tons of food stuff as well as some arms and armor if you need them. They are are trading cargo but giving the circumstance I will sell them all to you at what you think is a fair price. If you take the lot then it will free up a lot of my hold space and in return i can remove any non combatants that you wish such as children etc to lessen the risk of their loss. Then turning to engage the young lady. "I do understand your position mame, there is little I can offer at this stage but what i can do I will do. I can request that several squads of my marines who are most capable to withstand this weather stay and serve you until spring. That will give you 20 trained me to help in pressing your claim and to help in the defense. With them goes the food to sustain them for five months and spare arms as can be found.

Michael then turns briefly to Captain Mangrum "Cease all activity, have the crew stand down except for a standard watch once we move away from this dock and into open water. We will sail then in four hours"

Preminume Foodstuffs
Barley Flour 1000 pounds Dried Apples 500 pounds
Wheat Flour 2000 pounds Dried Mushrooms 300 pounds
Rye Flour 2000 pounds Died Carrots 200 pounds
Bacon 500 pounds Dried Onions 500 pounds
Smoked Meat 600 pounds Sugar 1000 pounds
Salted Pork 1000 pounds Olive Oil 21000 gallons
Hams 1000 pounds Saffloflower Oil 200 gallons
Smoked Salmon 500 pounds Cheese (Smoked) 500 pounds
Lentils 500 pounds Cheese Cheddar 200 pounds
Rice 500 pounds Cheese White 500 pounds

Scotley

Hero
The Authority nods, "That would be most welcome Captain. Please move your ship to the naval dock at the fortress. We are indeed preparing for a siege. I am advising all citizens to flee South with the outbound ships. If you have the passenger space I'm sure there will be several people looking for a place. However, there are some hold outs who will refuse as well as those of us who will remain at our posts. All the food and some extra arms would be most welcome. Please write out a voucher for whatever you think fair market value is. I'd also like to know how much you'll charge per passenger and how many you have room for. I'll issue you a payment in coin for the supplies and the passengers this afternoon. It is my intention to keep only enough cash on hand to pay my people through the winter and a little for emergency expenses. I hope to empty the vault otherwise so that should the worst happen the buggers wont get the Imperial funds I was intrusted with."

Marjory is pleased with your offer. "That would be most welcome Captain. I will pay handsomely for the use of your men. Should I prove successful in pressing my claim I'll be in a position to issue some noble titles as well. There are some unimproved Islands that currently house only seasonal fishing camps that could prove quite valuable to a man with the resources to tame and improve them. I will need to find capable people to hold some of these places for me as I focus on the mainland. Is title to such an island something you might be willing to consider in place of payment in coin? I expect to be cash poor for some time."

Scotley

Hero
OOC: I had this business with Marjory in mind for some time, but you were never tempted to ask despite several hints I dropped...

J. Alexander

First Post
With a small sad look Michael will try to inject a bit of humor "Ask a merchant the fair value of his goods during a siege, you are indeed a bold man sir, but no I will not take advantage of this the goods are yours a my cost plus 50 percent for shipping costs and a reasonable replacment rate of the goods themesels as they are premume food stuffs and not typical fare. As to passangers, I think we could take 40 to 50 in a pinch if they would not mind the closeness as we move south we will have the deck to use and as well and I will charge standard passage fees as well. I am a citizen of the empire and will not take advantage of this sad state of affairs. And here is a thorn for you, if you wish I will tranship your people and excess valuables and funds and deposit them in the nearest port in the imperial Captains Bank and issue you a receipt to keep them from falling into the wrong hands..also and here is the greed in me, anyone needing cash for the trip south that has goods I will buy them at end of winter prices, the people I will see safely lodged at the port until arrangements can be made to bring them home or they wish to go elsewhere?

Turing to the Duchess, Milady, such would indeed be a welcome offer and a solid counterpart to my holdings on Tergere. If it pleases you I will return with the spring with my fleet, small by standards but a fleet none the less and bring arms, men supplies as you need. As to coin, I will freely lend you as much as I can if for no other reason than master gusieeipee would speak for you in coucil and badger us to do so. Would 25k in cash and additonal warrants drawn on the imperial Captians bank up to 75k be of assistance?

As weird as it seems, Michale is conducting this in the open for his entire crew to hear.

then he will turn to Capt Magrum, Please take us to the dock for unloading and stand down the men, all execpt those necessary to give direction in our unloading. And pass the word we need 20 to 30 volunteers to stay here the next six months at double pay to assist her grace. It will be dangerous I know but it will be necessary to have people already on the ground and learning the land for our new base. And though I know your are valiant and worth, I will not permit any of the toad or lizard folk to apply, I will not risk your health in this climate.

A quick glance if Michale unloads his holds of foodstuff and arms/armor he is looking at 175 with the markup

Leather Armour (Man Size) 30 Long Swords 10 Heavy Crossbows 10
Chain Shirt (Man Size) 10 Short Swords 20 Heavy Crossbow Bolts 1000
Chainmail (Man Size) 5 Cutlasses 10 Light Crossbows 20
Chain Shirt (Giant Size) 10 Rapiers 5 Light CrossbowBolts 1000
ChainMail (Giant Size) 5 Daggers 20 Short Composite Bows 10
Arrows 1000
Long Spears 20 Alchemical Fire Bolts 30
Short Spears 20 Alchemical Frost Bolts 30

Scotley

Hero
With a small sad look Michael will try to inject a bit of humor "Ask a merchant the fair value of his goods during a siege, you are indeed a bold man sir, but no I will not take advantage of this the goods are yours a my cost plus 50 percent for shipping costs and a reasonable replacment rate of the goods themesels as they are premume food stuffs and not typical fare. As to passangers, I think we could take 40 to 50 in a pinch if they would not mind the closeness as we move south we will have the deck to use and as well and I will charge standard passage fees as well. I am a citizen of the empire and will not take advantage of this sad state of affairs. And here is a thorn for you, if you wish I will tranship your people and excess valuables and funds and deposit them in the nearest port in the imperial Captains Bank and issue you a receipt to keep them from falling into the wrong hands..also and here is the greed in me, anyone needing cash for the trip south that has goods I will buy them at end of winter prices, the people I will see safely lodged at the port until arrangements can be made to bring them home or they wish to go elsewhere?

Turing to the Duchess, Milady, such would indeed be a welcome offer and a solid counterpart to my holdings on Tergere. If it pleases you I will return with the spring with my fleet, small by standards but a fleet none the less and bring arms, men supplies as you need. As to coin, I will freely lend you as much as I can if for no other reason than master gusieeipee would speak for you in coucil and badger us to do so. Would 25k in cash and additonal warrants drawn on the imperial Captians bank up to 75k be of assistance?

As weird as it seems, Michale is conducting this in the open for his entire crew to hear.

then he will turn to Capt Magrum, Please take us to the dock for unloading and stand down the men, all execpt those necessary to give direction in our unloading. And pass the word we need 20 to 30 volunteers to stay here the next six months at double pay to assist her grace. It will be dangerous I know but it will be necessary to have people already on the ground and learning the land for our new base. And though I know your are valiant and worth, I will not permit any of the toad or lizard folk to apply, I will not risk your health in this climate.

A quick glance if Michale unloads his holds of foodstuff and arms/armor he is looking at 175 with the markup

Leather Armour (Man Size) 30 Long Swords 10 Heavy Crossbows 10
Chain Shirt (Man Size) 10 Short Swords 20 Heavy Crossbow Bolts 1000
Chainmail (Man Size) 5 Cutlasses 10 Light Crossbows 20
Chain Shirt (Giant Size) 10 Rapiers 5 Light CrossbowBolts 1000
ChainMail (Giant Size) 5 Daggers 20 Short Composite Bows 10
Arrows 1000
Long Spears 20 Alchemical Fire Bolts 30
Short Spears 20 Alchemical Frost Bolts 30

"I will have a group of passengers for you within the four hours you plan to stay. I'll put the word out that you are buying if they can load within 4 hours. It is my intention to spend down the Imperial cash reserves rather than ship them out, but there may well be others who would look to ship coin and other valuables away. I have much to attend to, could I beg a ride to the navy dock for myself and half my men as you are going there now anyway? "

"I will avail myself of your offer Captain. I would be happy to see your fleet come Spring. I would only take say 1000 in coin now, for as the Authority has said should the worst befall us I do not wish it to fall into unfriendly hands, but I will take the letters of credit which of course could be easily destroyed if the need arises. The men you leave should help us avoid that eventuality as well."

OOC: Anything else for these two before we discuss cargo for purchase?

J. Alexander

First Post
Bye all means please ride with us ..and for the ride may I offer you the comofrts of my cabin, I do belive they already have made it clean and if i know master grumbar he has a pot of tea sitting on the table along with a few nibbles despite the circumstances Michael says warmly.

Then he says "I will have the letters ready within the hour" in regards to the funds your grace.

Finished :)

Scotley

Hero
Grumbar does indeed manage to put together something simple that none the less looks quite impressive considering you were in a full battle only a very short time before. A companionable half hour is passed over Tea and snacks as the ship is moved. Marjory talks with Guesseppi and Remona during the brief transit.

The lure of double pay produces 25 volunteers suitable to serve here during the winter. Most are men who found the sea voyage North particularly unpleasant, generally lubbers who had never been to sea before this voyage or had only made short hops on the calm waters of the inner sea. The rest are the most mercenary of your forces who will do anything for a few extra coin.

The merchants of IceWatch soon present themselves. First in line is Dowager Hepelwhite and her three grown sons. Despite the fact that they are obviously middle aged men of business it is clear that the old lady rules the family with an iron hand.

"Fleet Captain Stormwarden" she says formally in a way that sounds more like an accusation than an honorific, "I hear you've space on that ship of yours. I want to secure passage for myself, my three sons and a dozen retainers and staff. I am told you've agreed to take cargo as well. I want to transfer the more important of our furnishings and other items South. The house here is filled with antiques, objects of art and a few key documents and other personal treasures. How much cargo space can we secure from you for transport? Additionally, we've got a warehouse of goods that we secured for our mercantile concerns here. My intention was to sell it over the winter. The Authority has agreed to take most of the food and other goods that will help him winter here. That leaves us with rather a goodly supply of wines and spirits, furniture, some tools, and various household goods."

J. Alexander

First Post
"We should have several tons of cargo space availalbe and we could indeed accomodate you and your retainers as well, provided we can come to terms. I kept an additional few slots open for myself in addition to what the port authority asked of me...I can acoomodate your party of sixteen and up to 1 ton of cargo space provided you understand this is not a luxury cruise it is one to save as many people as possible. Having said that should you wish to dispense of property and or trade rights here we can negiogate a package deal.

then catching her eye in such a way as to challend her assertion of fleet captain in a polite way "Make no mistake madam while I am a reasonable man and will not take undue advantage of the situation I am the only game in town so to speak and will do what i can to save the most that people built up with hard work and I will allow no one to have more than is right and proper"

While you think a minute on the terms you wish to offer i must speak to my ships singer.

Michale goes over and quietly speaks to Willium "Please go ashor briefly spread the word I am buying real estate, inns, hotels, docks shops etc as well as trading rights"

"Sorry about that madam" Have you decided?

J. Alexander

First Post
When he has a minute, Michael will send the following messeage via the pearl earing and necklace to his factor on Terger

My Dear Pandorloshin
Please send out the following messeage under my signature and seal:

Captain Honager Marin

Dear Captain Marin,
We have this date meet the enemy and broken his back here in Icewatch. In time they will recover but please know that the tales you will be hearing in the future are just a token of the wrath we unleashed upon those that did you harm.

Respectfully

Michael Storm

Dwarf Chietian I cant find his name

Dear Sir,
I wish to think you for your previous help and consideration in the constrution of my base here on Terger and the prompt delivery of the steel plates and beams for my pet project just now coming to fruiation.

I would know ask you to consider the possability of the prefabrication of an overlage fortified manor house that could be easily assembled in one months time using the skill of your engineers. I stone dock and pier would also have to be prefabed at the time and designed to with stand the vigirous winters of icewatch. If such a thing is possible please advise and let my factor know the costs.

To Michael Attroney in the Northern Captial

Dear Sir,
Please commission the following for me:
Three adventruing parties of 5 memvers to clear an island this spring in the environs of icewatch. Also I am in need of the recruiting of a company of mercenary company of 500 solid men at arms for a one year contract to garrison in IceWatch next spring to the following spring. Said company and parties to renedeau with me (last norther port before icewatch) on the 1st day of spring.

M. Storm

To Padar Losen

In the next week start buying as much food stuff as you can as well as arms and amour, all the tobacco you can find on the isalnd and spirits. We retrun more or less directly to Terger after this terrible battle here and will need replacements etc. Start recruiting as many crews as you can for our little fleet and hiring additional base personell for Terger. It is my desire that you have the 5 companies of longrifle men up and running by our retrun and firmly esconced in the local community.

More later
Michael

Remove ads