Making your own power cards

Oryzarius

Strigiform Storyteller
Supporter
Trolls, these are magnificent-looking. Did you recreate the DDM card background yourself, or is it posted online somewhere? (My brief Google fling doesn't turn up anything from the current DDM version.) Are you planning on making the files available anywhere, for others to play with?

I strongly suspect your work will be superior to whatever we see in Friday's Wizards update....

I'm A Banana

Potassium-Rich
A bump. Becuase these really are better than WotC's effort. :)

I'm kind of partial to Lord Thanatos's, but I'm a sucker for anything I can include a pretty picture I found online with the text. :)

deathdonut said:
Limed for truth! We have a winner!
QFT as they say. I am really looking forward to Troll releasing his templates for me to play with. WotC should be ashamed...or, at least, hire Troll!

***Lest We Forget. ANZAC Day 2008***

Trolls

First Post
To give WotC some credit, theirs are designed to be filled in for any power, whereas the ones we have here require editing on the computer.

Still, the extra effort is worth it! :D

Template/tutorial coming soon, just needs a bit of polishing. I'll post it some time this weekend.

Trolls

First Post
Oryzarius said:
Trolls, these are magnificent-looking. Did you recreate the DDM card background yourself, or is it posted online somewhere? (My brief Google fling doesn't turn up anything from the current DDM version.)

I took the DDM background from the Dungeons of Dread PDF on the official site.

Solmancer

First Post
Trolls said:
Next iteration:
-New standard action symbol (looks great!)
-Redrew exclamation mark (wasn't quite symmetrical after the resize, edges looked strange)
-Added blur behind action symbols to make them blend in/feel more natural
-Added Attack type (Int vs. Ref) to last notch. That leaves us with nowhere to put Channel Divinity or Pact etc. The trick is whether that or Sustain: Minor is more important. For warlocks, it's not (pact is a one time choice), but for Channel Divinity, it does determine how often you can use the power. Any thoughts?
Trolls:

First of all, I registered here just so I could provide said thoughts.

- I agree that action symbols fit better in the top left than attack type. It's arguably the symbol that will matter the most for "what can I do" when digging through the pile, as it were. :)

On to the more critical side of the constructive feedback. ;) Namely, my suggestions for this latest batch you posted. (Don't get me wrong, they're gorgeous, but I feel things can be a little more streamlined; PLEASE DO NOT EAT ME for being presumptuous. :( ) I wish I had Photoshop skills so I could demonstrate what I mean... oh wells.

- Sticking the "action" type in the bubble as well, perhaps under the symbol or over it, would also get the point across. You could then remove that particular line from the actual card box itself and save a little space, as well as free up an entire notch. The same with "ranged 10" and similar attributes. That notch gets the main point across, and a little text (albeit tiny text) will reinforce the meaning.
- I would remove the "power type" from the notches and stick it as the first line in the main text box with its own font to make it stand out (maybe a little big larger as well). I keep envisioning it being displayed in a more calligraphic font. Potentially seeing "Wizard Attack 1" for, say, Ray of Frost on the side is kind of "whatever", even though it would help sorting the cards. In all seriousness, I'd care more about the WHEN than the IF; ie - I'd be looking to see what powers I can use at X time in the adventure, not what's coming up and so on and so forth. Maybe that particular detail could go in the top right corner as three lines?

So to rehash, this is what I'm suggesting in a more textual format, using the Bigby's you posted. Parentheses around text means it's tiny text.

Code:
SYM    Bigby's Crushing Hand  Wizard       
BOL                           Attack
(Standard)                       15

Int
vs. Ref
(Attack)        LOTS
                 OF
 2d10        POWER TEXT
+ Int
(Hit)

(Ranged)
This jury's still out on the idea of other things, such as sustain being in a notch, and so on. Some of the details seem best suited for the text, so I dunno. :) This is just me being a feedback minded person is all!

/goes to bed now

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Recent & Upcoming Releases